Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@ Booksters, Peter describes the jackets with floating canvas panels.
Can someone kindly explain what they are?
Peter is working hard on all your orders, so I'm posting here so as not to slow him down.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
I'm sure a better expert will chime in, but I believe that a better canvased suit jacket has multiple pieces. That these pieces actually don't fit perfectly together, but have some overlap. This allows the jacket to fit to your body better as well as not lose its shape from drycleaning.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
"With a machine-made, "fused" coat, they use a special synthetic material which effectivley turns to glue when heated. It doesn't really do much, besides give the coat its body. It can be done on a machine in a few seconds.

Why have a hand canvas? It looks better. With a fused coat, there's no give. Where the outer cloth goes, the fused material goes, and vice-versa. They're just machine-stuck together. There's no synergy between the two.
But with a floating, hand canvas, there's give. There's synergy. The end result is the suit follows the contours of the body more naturally. There's less surface tension. The fit looks more relaxed and elegant without compromising form.

And as the coat now has a natural canvas in the layering, it expands and contacts depending on the body's heat, making for a more organic fit. Fused coats, being synthetic in the centre, just stay the same."

Taken from

The overlap in canvased coats makes a more natural look too, while with fused, some of the natural-touch is lost because the joint is focused (the glue). Due to this a canvased MTM sportscoat will always cost for then fussed. Manning & Manning (Savile Row and Kent) has at least £100 even with the basic cloth.

The reason for the difference is the work required in making a cnavased coat compared to fused; the overlapping from parts to create the correct shape requires a lot more work them gluing parts together. However, it is well worth it - it looks better, keeps it shape and over time dry-cleaning will affect a fused coat.

· Registered
464 Posts
Being as KAV is one of the old-guard and has over 4600 posts, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't know the difference between canvased and fused jackets. I would speculate that either the term 'floating' caught him off guard or that he started this thread to prove some other point elsewhere. KAV?

· Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taking a shower 4500 times doesn't make me a skin care expert. I well know what a canvassed vs (con)fused construction is, proud owner of the Andy CD that I am.
I just tripped over floating, a psychotropic reaction to all of Peter's incredible tweeds on my monitor, a drop in barometeric pressure and a new bottle of laphraiog.

· Registered
163 Posts
Being as KAV is one of the old-guard and has over 4600 posts, I find it hard to believe that he doesn't know the difference between canvased and fused jackets. I would speculate that either the term 'floating' caught him of guard or that he started this thread to prove some other point elsewhere. KAV?
Yeah, and I know we talked about the "floating" part somewhere in that post. I'm just too lazy to find it and quote it. :icon_smile:

· Registered
464 Posts
Taking a shower 4500 times doesn't make me a skin care expert...
No, but you do know that when you take a shower you usually get wet. :icon_smile: I was just thinking that at least one of those posts had to be in a thread comparing canvased and (con)fused jackets. I figured that you had to pick it up just by proximity. You confirmed my suspicions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.