Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if flannel trousers were only suitable for colder weather or if they would be comfortable during the summer as well. I was just looking through BB trousers and they have several good looking flannels that are 50% off. After an additional 25% off they could be had for less than 100 bucks. In particular I am looking at these trousers.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...231939&Parent_Id=305&default_color=Light-grey

Or is better to go for summer gabardine trousers. The ones I am looking at are these in British Tan and Light Gray

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...83968&Parent_Id=219&default_color=British-tan

Both seem like great deals considering that there is an extra 25% off. What would you recommend for a summer trouser? Thanks.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Better to go with tropical wool for summer. I've tried wearing flannel above 70 F and it just cannot be done.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The color is not the matter, its the weight of the material. I agree with Jovan, flannel just does not work in the summer.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In the good old days (which I am too young to remember) men often wore flannel in the summer. White flannel trousers were de rigeur beachwear. Either global warming has taken effect in a really huge way, or somewhere along the line the average man's thermostat became a lot more sensitive to warmth.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I wear lighter/midweight flannels all year round in NYC. I happen to be obsessed with flannel, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was just looking through BB trousers and they have several good looking flannels that are 50% off. After an additional 25% off they could be had for less than 100 bucks.
At that price, I'm tempted to stock up and pack them in the closet for a few months. Do you have a coupon code for the additional 25% or are you expecting them to apply a steeper discount?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have two pair of BB summer flannels ....

One pair is all white and the other is white with a light blue stripe. They are BB Country Club and look great with a navy blazer. However, I only wear them in the spring and fall; they are much too hot for summer. I am reminded of the pink flannel suit which Robert Redford wore in 'The Geat Gatsby'. Good looking suit, but I'll bet it wore hot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At that price, I'm tempted to stock up and pack them in the closet for a few months. Do you have a coupon code for the additional 25% or are you expecting them to apply a steeper discount?
I actually might do the same. Pretty great deal. No coupon just right now they have their preferred customer event (or whatever they call it) and you get an extra 25% off if you use a BB card.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Wool flannel was once considered a summer fabric, but is no longer common. It is much too hot for summer for me, but obviously, others feel differently.

At that price, my advice is to buy them now, and put them away until the weather once again turns cooler. You will then thank yourself for your foresight!

·
Registered
159 Posts
In the good old days (which I am too young to remember) men often wore flannel in the summer. White flannel trousers were de rigeur beachwear. Either global warming has taken effect in a really huge way, or somewhere along the line the average man's thermostat became a lot more sensitive to warmth.
+1
From TS Eliot:
Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I don't think J. Alfred Prufrock listened to the mermaids in the winter.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the responses, I went ahead and ordered the Gabs in British Tan and Light Grey but also went for the flannels in light grey. Even if they don't get much use this summer they most certainly will next fall and winter. Less than a 100 bucks after the discount so didn't want to pass that up.

So after the discount 3 pairs of trousers for $280.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
There was a time in the "good old days" where women wore layers upon layers even in the summer. While I'm sure white will wear a little less warm, some things have changed for good reason.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
There was a time in the "good old days" where women wore layers upon layers even in the summer. While I'm sure white will wear a little less warm, some things have changed for good reason.
There was a reality TV series done in Britain a few years back called "The 1900 House." A modern British family (the dad was a Royal Marine NCO) agreed to live in a London rowhouse kitted out as people and homes were in the year of the title.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/1900house/

One of the things I recall was how much clothing they all had to wear, especially the mother and teenage daughter. It all weighed several times what a typical modern outfit weighs. On the other hand, the house had no central heat, so that profusion of fabric and layers must have come in handy at times.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I've watched a few episodes. If it was in winter, I can see how it would be useful. In summer, not so much.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Of course, there is the school of thought that one is kept cool by one's clothing: keeping the heat out rather than letting the air in. I, for one, always wear an undershirt even on the most brutal days of the DC summer. Occasionally a heavy-ish worsted suit, too. All my flannels are in dark colors, so I don't usually wear them between June and Sept. 1.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.