·
Registered
58 Posts
and

I would add The Thin Man. All of them.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks like Hitchcock is highly favored by some other members as well.

Cary Grant probably looked his best in Hitchcock films. I viewed 'North by Northwest' just this afternoon. As I recall that suit was made by Kilgour, French and Stanbury.

I am built a lot like Jimmy Stewart and I like his wardrobe in Hitchcock films with Vertigo as my favorite. There is a simplicity but also refinement to his look that makes Stewart so sympathetic. Of course the making and remaking of Kim Novak is a great revelation into the mind of the Master.

The most elegant Hitchcock film has to be 'To Catch a Thief'. The Grace Kelly ball gown probably cost more than the GDP of many nations.
Agree with "To Catch a Thief".

·
Registered
667 Posts
1) Funny Face, for the best wardrobe work ever AND the Avedon stills
I don't ususally watch classics but my (younger) wife was watching this & I was intrigued by his wardobe. I recently went shopping for a pair of gray trousers to wear with a sc I just picked up & I found the perfect pair, except they were an inch too short.

The scene where he's dancing in the courtyard (where he magnificently uses the red lined side of his coat like a matador) I remember the baby blue shirt & the short trousers revealing matching blue socks. Needless to say I bought the trousers.

·
Registered
301 Posts
For me, though Hitchcock and the great movies already mentioned are my favorites, for elegance of dress it would have to be a movie in color, because clothing can only be so much in black and white.

I second Brideshead Revisisted. It is a collection of eleven episodes, each an hour or longer.

Jeeves and Wooster, though another collection of TV shows, is also worth it.

Historical movies like Gone With The Wind, Last of the Mohicans, etc. come to mind. Seeing old-fashioned clothing in color rather than through pencil sketches or old pictures is very exciting.

The UK had a 'White Flannel' era where movies like Chariots of Fire, A Passage to India, and a Room with a View, which showed the 'days of yore' in that country, were popular.

Finally, there is the obvious black and white era of movies, and if you can catch movies just around when color was introduced you will catch some of the greatest style, and be able to appreciate the color coordination of it also. Also check out foreign filmmakers like Polanski and Truffaut for different European perspectives. Or get the Godfather series for some Italian style. Most leading roles tend to be elegant if that is the plan, but of course there are the usual suspects of Sean Connery, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Peter O'Toole, even Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones (and Sean Connery as his father in The Last Crusade).

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Any Fred Astaire movie can kick butt.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To Catch a Thief
The Great Gatsby
The Sting
The Rear Window
The Rope

The purest clothing classicist for me was Hitchcock. I read that he never allowed his leading men to wear anything but a solid silk tie. No patterns, no stripes. I remember that article from Esquire, and have solid ties for my "leading man" kind of days.....

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think it is interesting to note that Astaire movies were also mentioned a number of times.

Forgive me if this has been posted here before, but Astaire was credited for a number of innovations in Men's Clothing--one of which was using a necktie as a belt.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fine. Now we're all talking pot-shots at Mr. Fred Astaire, a doggone sartorial G-d?

Is nothing sacred to you elitist fribbles? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards,

Chase

P.S. Given this current state of affairs, I expect a "Bash Cary Grant" thread to be commenced any time now. :icon_smile_wink:

cah

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with listing any of the CG/Hitchcock films.
If we are including TV movies, in addition to Brideshead Revisited I would also throw in the House of Cards Trilogy. BTW, I just learned that Sir Ian Richardson died on the 9th. RIP FU.

Also, did anyone see the recent (well 2005) version of "Wallis and Edward" that BBCA aired last night? The Prince/King/Duke was well attired throughout, although I didn't like the production as much as the old "Edward and Mrs. Simpson."

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
You already have the Thin Man and To Catch a Theif, but no mention of Casablanca.. If nothing else, Bogard in Trench and hat....and Victor Laslow was not bad either......

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My five

Kind Hearts and Coronets
On Her Majestys Secret Service
School for Scoundrels (the original!)
Plein Soleil/The Talented Mr Ripley (I can't decide which is the most elegant!)
The Thomas Crown Affair (both!)

W_B

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.