Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
My five (in no particular order are):

The Great Gatsby - Robert Redford dresses in 1920s menswear with elegant disdain;

Bringing Up Baby - Cary Grant is supremely elegant even when wearing ladies' lingerie;

Easter Parade - Fred Astaire shows us how to look great in vintage clothing;

Sunset Blvd. - William Holden wears the ultimate man's wardrobe, including a vicuna overcoat;

The Purple Rose of Cairo - Jeff Daniels displays the retro fashions of a Hollywood Matinee Idol from the 1930s--both on and off the screen.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think it is interesting to note that Astaire movies were also mentioned a number of times.

Forgive me if this has been posted here before, but Astaire was credited for a number of innovations in Men's Clothing--one of which was using a necktie as a belt.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Fine. Now we're all talking pot-shots at Mr. Fred Astaire, a doggone sartorial G-d?

Is nothing sacred to you elitist fribbles? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards,

Chase

P.S. Given this current state of affairs, I expect a "Bash Cary Grant" thread to be commenced any time now. :icon_smile_wink:

cah

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Interesting (hopefully) note for all fans of The Age of Innocence: those elegant costumes were designed by Italian Gabriella Pescucci, who went on to win an Oscar.

--Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think another movie that reeks of elegance is Titanic--I think it captures the clothing and style of the Upper Class of 1912 perfectly.

--Chase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.