Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
1. Age of Innocence
2 Somewhere in Time
3. The Great Gatsby
4. To Catch a Thief (CG wears his gray sports coat with all 3 buttons buttoned!)
5. North by Northwest (everyone comments about CG in the movie, but no-one ever seems to mention the very elegant suits worn by James Mason)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
After having watched it last night, I have to add "Murder on the Orient Express" to this list. Apart from the sumptuousness of the train itself, the costuming is just spot-on, from Poirot's (Albert Finney) elegant velvet-collared suit and McQueen's (Tony Perkins) ultra-preppy blazer and slacks to Arbuthnott's (Sean Connery) English country clothes and Count Andrenyi's (Michael York) wonderfully foppish mittle-europa look. Lush and wonderful!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think some people missed the point of this thread...

The five most elegant movies as opposed to just elegant wardrobes,

,YES!!!!!!

for pure elegance nothing compares with the Astaire/Rogers RKO films....

1. Swing Time
2. Gay Divorcee
3. Roberta
4. Top Hat
5. Carefree

I don't think Sunset Boulevard would qualify as an ELEGANT movie, it's actually eerie

or Wall Street or The first Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

...NOT REALLY ELEGANT MOVIES -

BUT, I would agree with secondary selections for Easter Parade, Funny Face, The Bandwagon, You Were Never Lovelier, Casablanca, The Philadelphia Story, maybe Breakfast at Tiffany's or the second Thomas Crown Affair (1999)

I quite agree with this; to me, perhaps the most elegant looking film of the last 20 or 30 years has got to be Scorsese's "Age of Innocence". (I admit to not having seen Sofia Coppola's "Marie Antoinette".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.