Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you have already played this game before, BUT

If you were to list the five most elegant movies ever, how would you rank them, and why?

I'll go first (in ascending order).

5) North by Northwest, because it shows the beating a good suit can take (with just a sponging in a hotel)
4) The Gay Divorcee, for the Looking for a needle in a haystack sequence
3) Carefree, great clothes and fantastic déco interiors
2) The Philadelphia Story, just because
1) Funny Face, for the best wardrobe work ever AND the Avedon stills

Sorry if this is too frivolous.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My five (in no particular order are):

The Great Gatsby - Robert Redford dresses in 1920s menswear with elegant disdain;

Bringing Up Baby - Cary Grant is supremely elegant even when wearing ladies' lingerie;

Easter Parade - Fred Astaire shows us how to look great in vintage clothing;

Sunset Blvd. - William Holden wears the ultimate man's wardrobe, including a vicuna overcoat;

The Purple Rose of Cairo - Jeff Daniels displays the retro fashions of a Hollywood Matinee Idol from the 1930s--both on and off the screen.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
642 Posts
'Twould be a crime to leave out Hitchcock's Rope. Jimmy Stewart's suit is quite literally perfect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
1. The Age of Innocence : Best clothing in any movie ever.

2. The Philadelphia Story : For the way Grant gets Stewart to removehis hat

3. The Tailor of Panama : How many dramas feature a brilliant tailor as a protganist ?

4. Wild Palms : Okay it is a mini-series but check out the male attire.

5. The Age of Innocence : Because it is so much better than any other it has to be mentioned twice.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Looks like Hitchcock is highly favored by some other members as well.

Cary Grant probably looked his best in Hitchcock films. I viewed 'North by Northwest' just this afternoon. As I recall that suit was made by Kilgour, French and Stanbury.

I am built a lot like Jimmy Stewart and I like his wardrobe in Hitchcock films with Vertigo as my favorite. There is a simplicity but also refinement to his look that makes Stewart so sympathetic. Of course the making and remaking of Kim Novak is a great revelation into the mind of the Master.

The most elegant Hitchcock film has to be 'To Catch a Thief'. The Grace Kelly ball gown probably cost more than the GDP of many nations.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The most elegant Hitchcock film has to be 'To Catch a Thief'. The Grace Kelly ball gown probably cost more than the GDP of many nations.
Quite so! I'd also mention BBC's production of "Brideshead Revisited" with Jeremy Irons, even though technically speaking it was a tv show, not a film.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
1. Age of Innocence
2 Somewhere in Time
3. The Great Gatsby
4. To Catch a Thief (CG wears his gray sports coat with all 3 buttons buttoned!)
5. North by Northwest (everyone comments about CG in the movie, but no-one ever seems to mention the very elegant suits worn by James Mason)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I think we should include "An Affair to Remember".

·
Registered
542 Posts
Don't forget HRH the Duke of Windsor....

.... as depicted in Edward & Mrs. Simpson.

·
Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
7,066 Posts
Do not forget a fairly recent movie, D'Lovely. I would wear many of those suits today. Tailor of Panama was a great mention, I was going to put that in myself, same reason (plus Pierce who can really pull off a suit well IMO).

·
Registered
861 Posts
It Happened One Night - Clark Gable not only looks superb but the movie was ground breaking in two ways - CG was seen to wear pyjamas not a nightshirt and shock! horror! no vest under his shirt. Both had a huge impact on the male population of the day!

Brideshead Revisited of course!

Notorious - according to Mr Armani, CG's best dressed film

Top Hat - the style and the great humour

The Red Shoes - perhaps my absolute favourite style-wise

·
Registered
81 Posts
High Society - Just look at Bing and Frank, that's true style

Chinatowm - wonderful suits and colour combinations worn by Nicholson

Gangster No.1 - Never was crime better dressed

Rocky III - really nice suits and shirts worn by Mr. Stallone

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get Carter ('71) - Jack's back in a great black mac

Rocky III - another vote for Sly's formal attire

For Your Eyes Only - perfect Bond outting afaic

Wall Street - Greed isn't the only thing that's good

Thomas Crown Affair (remake) - Brosnan looked the business

(also loving Layer Cake, The Untouchables and Batman Begins)

·
Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
7,066 Posts
Would anyone have the remake of Ocean's Eleven on their list? Maybe "elegant" is the incorrect word for the wardrobe of the entire cast, but it all certainly made a statement IMO.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.