Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear in mind this is an OTR suit and I'm not expecting perfection. My main concern is whether or not the jacket is too fully cut to match the slightly slimmer trousers, but I am a little on the obsessive side and can't tell if it's just me, or it's too large. The trousers are a touch long, but I am a full break kind of guy.

Attachments

· Registered
6,593 Posts
It looks great. In the old days the length would be fine. Now it would be considered 4 inches too long. I think it’s as good as you can expect for OTR. If the jacket was only 1/2 inch shorter I would call it perfect.

That’s not considering that the sleeves need a bit of lengthening.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou for all the replies and quelling my concerns! Agreed on the sleeve shortening. Sleeves have always been an issue considering my dress shirt sleeves are 36". The jacket sleeves are a little larger in diameter as well, which allows more of my shirt sleeve to slip out, so it slightly exaggerates the problem.

· Registered
532 Posts
Yep, a very credible OTR fit. I'll echo the jacket length concern (but not by much - a half inch might do the trick, an inch would be the maximum), but it's a tiny thing.
If you decided to go whole-hog at your tailor, you could possibly:
a) lengthen the jacket (comparatively pricey, may not be worthwhile)
b) assess whether that right sleeve needs to come down a tad
c) taper the sleeves a bit

Still, a solid A- as is!

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, a very credible OTR fit. I'll echo the jacket length concern (but not by much - a half inch might do the trick, an inch would be the maximum), but it's a tiny thing.
If you decided to go whole-hog at your tailor, you could possibly:
a) lengthen the jacket (comparatively pricey, may not be worthwhile)
b) assess whether that right sleeve needs to come down a tad
c) taper the sleeves a bit

Still, a solid A- as is!
Thanks! Honestly the only thing I'll probably do is have the sleeves lengthened. It's not a super nice suit or anything (Ralph Lauren); I picked it up from Off 5th for around $100 because it was cheap and I really liked the fabric.

· Registered
981 Posts
Since no one mentioned this, I will just said it bluntly: you have a lower right (your right) shoulder that causes your right arm to fall lower than your left. That also contributes to the longer-than-preferred shirt cuff showing.

This is shown by checking how your shoulder edges hang and the tips of your fingers. Your right is lower than your left. This is shown on the first picture.

Bear in mind that this is very common among people so that is just something to keep in mind.

The back of the jacket seems fuller, and I think that is why you think the jacket is fuller for you. You might want to check with the alteration tailor to see if you can reduce it a bit at the back.

However, before you do that, check the front-back balance of the jacket from your third picture. it seems, I could be wrong here because of the camera angle or whatnot, that the front lower edge hangs a bit lower than the back. Is this posture related? I don't know. You may be leaning forward that causes this issue, or you may have a little hunch back that pulls the back. Fixing this problem on the jacket involves serious works, and that cannot be done by an alteration tailor.

Luckily no one would notice about the front-back balance excepts tailors or clothing nerds.

Lastly, look at the slight-open vent on the third picture. It seems that your posterior (butt) sticks out a bit that causes this. it is not that serious, but a minor problem.

Generally speaking, it is a good fit as people mentioned with some issues that not many people will be concerned. However, if you are looking for better fit on you built, here is my feedback.

PS: I just realized that this is my post #666. ;)

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since no one mentioned this, I will just said it bluntly: you have a lower right (your right) shoulder that causes your right arm to fall lower than your left. That also contributes to the longer-than-preferred shirt cuff showing.

This is shown by checking how your shoulder edges hang and the tips of your fingers. Your right is lower than your left. This is shown on the first picture.

Bear in mind that this is very common among people so that is just something to keep in mind.

The back of the jacket seems fuller, and I think that is why you think the jacket is fuller for you. You might want to check with the alteration tailor to see if you can reduce it a bit at the back.

However, before you do that, check the front-back balance of the jacket from your third picture. it seems, I could be wrong here because of the camera angle or whatnot, that the front lower edge hangs a bit lower than the back. Is this posture related? I don't know. You may be leaning forward that causes this issue, or you may have a little hunch back that pulls the back. Fixing this problem on the jacket involves serious works, and that cannot be done by an alteration tailor.

Luckily no one would notice about the front-back balance excepts tailors or clothing nerds.

Lastly, look at the slight-open vent on the third picture. It seems that your posterior (butt) sticks out a bit that causes this. it is not that serious, but a minor problem.

Generally speaking, it is a good fit as people mentioned with some issues that not many people will be concerned. However, if you are looking for better fit on you built, here is my feedback.

PS: I just realized that this is my post #666. ;)
Correct on the one side being lower. It affects everything on me from my trouser length to the way my glasses sit. The only thing would be to lengthen the right sleeve a little.

As for the front back balance, you are also correct. I am not sure of the exact cause of the front being lower, but that is the way many jackets fit me, especially ones that are a little fuller. My BB regent fit is even. I don't really mind; used to bother me but I'm not super concerned.

I understand that without going the MTM route, which I don't know that I'll ever do, this is probably pretty close to the best something will fit me. As long as it does not look silly (which all here have told me it does not) I'm okay with it!
Thanks for the reply!

· Registered
6,593 Posts
Considering all the “Does this suit fit” threads we have to endure, this is one of the best OTR fits we’ve seen. You can’t make your shoulders even so don’t give it a thought. Bit of a bubble butt? If that bothers you join a gym. Just fix the sleeves and call it a day. We’re starting to “Gild the Lilly”.

It looks great, fits great (proof that fit is more important than any other “quality metric”), and at $100 since you like the fabric, my advice is to buy 5 more in every color and pattern they have.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Considering all the "Does this suit fit" threads we have to endure, this is one of the best OTR fits we've seen. You can't make your shoulders even so don't give it a thought. Bit of a bubble butt? If that bothers you join a gym. Just fix the sleeves and call it a day. We're starting to "Gild the Lilly".

It looks great, fits great (proof that fit is more important than any other "quality metric"), and at $100 since you like the fabric, my advice is to buy 5 more in every color and pattern they have.
I certainly would have, unfortunately they only had this one.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Great purchase and as many above have noted - darn good OTR fit to start.

I would fix the sleeves and also take in "the skirt" a bit as the jacket looks fine in the waist area and up, but "blousy" to my eye in the skirt (I see a few rumples in the picture from behind). When the tailor cuts out the blousy-ness, he needs to be thoughtful to the vents (and might even be able to make them lay better).

I'm curious as that is a great price, what Ralph Lauren brand is it - Polo, Chaps, etc? The inside jacket label would tell you.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great purchase and as many above have noted - darn good OTR fit to start.

I would fix the sleeves and also take in "the skirt" a bit as the jacket looks fine in the waist area and up, but "blousy" to my eye in the skirt (I see a few rumples in the picture from behind). When the tailor cuts out the blousy-ness, he needs to be thoughtful to the vents (and might even be able to make them lay better).

I'm curious as that is a great price, what Ralph Lauren brand is it - Polo, Chaps, etc? The inside jacket label would tell you.
It's a Lauren Ralph Lauren with the green label. I picked it up near Christmas time at my local Off 5th. It was the only one in a 40L so that probably explains the price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.