Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

This is my first post in the forum =)

I am fairly new to dressing stylish and I have spent many hours lurking these forums teaching myself about quality shoes. I'd like to collectively thank you for the knowledge and tips I have learnt along the way.

My first purchase was last week. A pair of Loake 1880 Aldwych oxfords in black, my primary office shoe. And although they are still a tad stiff as they are still being broken in, they are beautiful. Im really beginning to appreciate quality leather shoes. Very happy purchase!

However my post is really concerning a pair of Herring Shakespeares that I purchased over the Easter weekend. In the pictures they look beautiful and the product description gave me the impression they were impeccable. (Link to shoe: https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/shakespeare_double-monk-shoes/tan-calf).

Though when I took delivery of them today, out of the box I noticed quite a few imperfections. It seems there was a slight scratch on one of them, and also the black ink/dye that they used to darken the edges seems to be applied sloppily and splashed on a bit. Also the elastic straps for the buckles seems to have tan ink/dye soaked into them.

My question is, is this what is expected of handmade shoes? Are they simply the imperfections that come with owning these types of shoes? OR is this definitely not acceptable and should be returned?

To be honest it is quite disappointing.

Please comment your thoughts and what you would do..

Thanks so much! (Pics attached)
Brown Liver Bag Leather jacket Tints and shades
Brown Luggage and bags Amber Bag Beige
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Amber Shoulder bag
Brown White Luggage and bags Amber Orange
Brown Automotive design Leather Peach Wood
Shoe Finger Nail Cosmetics Street fashion
Finger Wood Tints and shades Personal protective equipment Foot
Footwear Brown Leather Fashion accessory Liver

Brown Liver Bag Leather jacket Tints and shades

·
Registered
384 Posts
Although more imperfections are to be expected the lower down the price ladder you go, I personally would not find what's in the pictures acceptable and would return them for a new pair or a refund.

I've never made a purchase from Herring, but every indication is that their customer service is excellent and I'm sure you'll have no trouble swapping them or obtaining a refund.

Most importantly perhaps, you certainly shouldn't be discouraged by your experience. Sub-par products at times slip by the quality control of any maker or shop and those products must end up with someone, somewhere. This time you're the one with the crappy luck, but you may never come across a similar disappointment ever again. Personally I've never returned a pair of shoes for any reason other than a bad fit and that's only happened twice (I think) i 30+ years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply .

Yes I had heard good things about purchasing through Herring. I was also given a free return label so returning them won't be an issue. Although I did expect a can of polish with my shoes as apparently thats the norm but to no avail.

I agree with you, I will definitely be returning them possibly for another brand of double monks. Out of the box the first thing I noticed was the sloppiness of dye application.

Thanks for your kind words I will try not to let this experience affect my future purchases, however I will be hesitant to purchase Herring brand shoes. The service was amazing and quick that I must note also.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I have purchased at least 8 pair of shoes from Herring over the years and just yesterday purchased another pair. I have yet to be disappointed. One pair was listed as having slight imperfection purchased of course discounted, but I could not find the blemish.

Question, were yours listed as imperfect? In any case send them back they will make good. Don't let this discourage you from making future purchases.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
As the other members have said, they should be returned. They should have been seconded at the manufacturer, and if not, inspected by Herring before shipment to you and returned to the manufacturer. Herring should pay all costs for shipping, both the return, and the replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
roelly83:

Something is odd there. Please contact Herring. I know they will make this right.

And the use of ALL CAPS in social media communication is considered shouting and rude. Thanks.
Thanks for the heads up Andy, my apologies, Ill make sure that does not happen in future.

Thank you guys for the input, will definitely get in touch with the fellows over at Herring. I am sure this must have been an oversight.

·
Vendor
36 Posts
Good morning all, I was browsing through and thought I would drop by and apologise for the issues with these shoes. They certainly should not have left us in this condition. Thankfully this is a rarity as we do try our best at all times. I do appreciate all of your kind words in support of Herring and having checked our records I can confirm that this issue has been dealt with. If any of you have any queries, problems or suggestions I would love to hear them.

Chris

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Love AAAC where you can sometimes get an answer from the actual vendor. Thank you so much Chris for taking a personal interest and making sure it was corrected. We see so little of this as time goes by and while I know getting already had a great reputation here previously, this will only increase members confidence.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good morning all, I was browsing through and thought I would drop by and apologise for the issues with these shoes. They certainly should not have left us in this condition. Thankfully this is a rarity as we do try our best at all times. I do appreciate all of your kind words in support of Herring and having checked our records I can confirm that this issue has been dealt with. If any of you have any queries, problems or suggestions I would love to hear them.

Chris
Just saw this now, thank you for your reply Chris.

The issue was quickly resolved and I was compensated nicely for the hiccup.

In saying that, I just purchased my second pair, they arrived incredibly fast, I do not know how you gentlemen do it, but I love your service!

Can not wait to order off Herring again.

=)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.