Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've worked in a business casual work environment for over 20 years and making my first suit purchase in a long time. I need a conservative business suit and I'm considering a charcoal gray solid suit from BB (the Madison, two button) and need some advice. The suit I'm looking at is a 40 short, as I'm a little less than 5'8" in height, weigh about 158 lbs and have a 35.5" waist. The jacket seems to fit okay, but the trousers that come with the suit have a 34" waist. Here are my questions:

Should I just let the BB tailor let out the waist and the seat in the trousers that come with the suit or try to get BB to switch out the pants to a 35" waist size and make adjustments to them? Is this even an option?

Since I am relatively short, what advice would you give me as far as pleats and/or cuffs on the trousers? In reading the forum it seems like some recommend either no cuffs or a shorter than normal cuff on the trousers for people with my build.

Any other issues I should consider when making this purchase?

Finally, I'm also looking at a navy blazer from the BB Country Club Collection. Would the BB Classic navy blazer which costs over $100 less be a more practical selection?

I'm new to this great forum and any advice is appreciated.

Ron

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
...Should I just let the BB tailor let out the waist and the seat in the trousers that come with the suit or try to get BB to switch out the pants to a 35" waist size and make adjustments to them? Is this even an option?...
While the required alterations are feasible, I recommend getting trousers more properly sized for you.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Should I just let the BB tailor let out the waist and the seat in the trousers that come with the suit or try to get BB to switch out the pants to a 35" waist size and make adjustments to them? Is this even an option?

Since I am relatively short, what advice would you give me as far as pleats and/or cuffs on the trousers? In reading the forum it seems like some recommend either no cuffs or a shorter than normal cuff on the trousers for people with my build.
If it's your first suit in a long time, I'd go with a solid navy model. IMO, solid navy is much more versatile than charcoal. Not knowing your budget, have you considered B2's MTM program? Another option might be to get a slimmer fitting model like the Fitzgerald and size UP. I am always nervous about having waists let out too much...as the tailors never seem to get it right. Letting a waist IN seems much easier to do...but that's just my experience.

Cuffs are a personal preference. For me, I don't think a suit quite looks "finished" without them. Then again, I'm six feet tall.

Finally, I'm also looking at a navy blazer from the BB Country Club Collection. Would the BB Classic navy blazer which costs over $100 less be a more practical selection?
What do you need it for? A navy blazer is a staple item IMO. However, if you need the new clothes for a dressy occasion (like a wedding) I would not go the blazer/slacks route...too casual. Stick with the suit.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The Madison is the only full cut BB 1800 suit ....

I don't beleve it is available in separates. If you want to stay in the 1800 suits,you have two choices: 1) Lose weight and get your waist down to 34" which is a 6" drop (normal for rtw). This is the best and most healthy option. 2) Get the Madison in a BB mtm program. You don't want to let out the suit 1.5 to 2". They (BB) frequently have mtm on sale.

As to pleats and cuffs, staying at your present weight and waist, you probably want pleats. Pleats usually look best with cuffs. Slim suits generally are flat front, and these look better with no cuffs.

With your stated waist you'll never get into a Fitzgerald or Regent 1800. These have a 7" drop, so when you get the right waist, the jacket will be too big. It is unequivacally untrue about cuffless pants looking unfinished etc. Cuffs actualy look silly on a slim-fitting suit with flat front trousers. But you don't have to worry about this since your build is not for the Fitzgerald or Regent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.