Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am in the market for a nice first suit for job interviews or special occasions, nothing in particular, and I got a very nice Isaia on STP

While the jacket fits great, the pants are a little skinny and gets an unnatural paunch in the front (no, I'm not that excited about it :icon_smile_big:), my main concern though is that it might be too striped for a first suit. I have read and heard mixed results about whether to buy a solid or a striped for a base suit and was wondering what are your opinions about this topic. I was most recently in banking but don't know if I'll continue down that avenue.

Go for fit (the Isaia) or fabric pattern? Ive found some solid navy suits but none fit nearly as good or can find one in the style I like, SB 2 button flat front 40s or 40r. There aren't any high end stores around Eugene, OR. Thanks for any help. Tyler

·
Registered
103 Posts
Go for navy blue. Buy what you can afford in as close a size as possible - then find a tailor and let him do the rest. When I had a lot less money to spend on suits than I do now, that is what I used to do and it worked great.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
That is a very nice suit and STP's prices are great, especially if you use an online discount code. It would be a great third or fourth suit.

For your first suit however, especially for job interviews, I would stick to a solid. Gray or Navy would be very excellent choices.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
General rule - black, navy or grey (plain or striped)

My advice: plain navy or grey. For interviews with dark tie and light shirt.

Although you could go for striped if you wanted but you would have to be selective on the stripe -style.

The example shown should be fine, although darker tie for interviews.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Solid gray or navy as indicated would be the first choice. I was always told navy first but now I think Gray should be the first suit. medium to charcoal gray is best. year round weight 10-12 oz. is great.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow thanks for the advice, yeah the striping in real life is a little more aggressive than how its shown in the photo. It was also a steal of a deal, I paid like $1k after discounts.
If the striping is bolder than the photo, then it's quite bold indeed. Not to say that it's a great looking suit, but as you've probably gathered, probably not an ideal choice for a first and only suit since bold patterns attract more attention and are more memorable to onlookers, and thus often makes it more challenging to wear the garment regularly.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Charcoal gray is a better choice than navy, IMHO. Even if your navy suit is an Oxxford or a Zegna, Isaia, Kilgour, etc., one still risks looking like a flight attendant. Stay away from a red tie with a white shirt. If you stand around somewhere looking official in that combo, I can guarantee that someone will ask you for directions to the restroom. :eek:

Basics are often more difficult to find on sale. Sometimes you get lucky. Regardless of whatever suit you purchase, tailoring makes all the difference. If your clothes fit properly, then you wear the clothes, they don't wear you.

·
Registered
748 Posts
What is colour is charcoal grey or gray. Some people spell the grey different. Is charcoal a dark grey? You get the light, medium greys. So what colour is charcoal? If you got a link to a charcoal suit that would be helpful.
The thing is i want a good interview suit, as well as work suit and i heard charcoal come up time after time. I think i would like a pinstrip charcoal though.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This is Charcoal Gray...

I think Grey is an anglo spelling of the same word.

Here is a Charcoal pinstripe flannel:

The solid is less memorable, and I like it for travel, especially if you have to wear that same suit around the same people. Everyone will remember that you just wore the pinstripe the other day. Put a different color shirt with the solid dark gray suit and your outfit is quite different. I do love a pinstripe suit, and always have one in current rotation. I feel the same towards a glen plaid, too. Still, you need the basics, and they form the foundation for starting a wardrobe. If you have a limited budget for suits, get the solid first.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pinstripes are fine for interviews in the right situation and often preferred. Your pinstripe, however, is the type that is never appropriate for interviews.

You will look your best in either charcoal or navy, try both on and see for yourself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
that is a beautiful suit! i have the a similar one, but from canali and i wore it to a banking interview and got the job too!! you just have to make sure its appropriate for the situation. i wore my suit with an orange tie and chestnut colored shoes, something most members would never recommend for an interview, but i got the position (sales & trading)!! thats because they wanted candidate who is really bold and outgoing. so i wore a suit that reflect my personality, and the requirements for the job.

that being said, you should look at what the alpha males at the place you are applying to are wearing. if its a very conservative enviornment, then wear a solid colored suit with black shoes. if people there are much more flashy, then dont be afraid to dress the same!!!

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Even if your navy suit is an Oxxford or a Zegna, Isaia, Kilgour, etc., one still risks looking like a flight attendant. Stay away from a red tie with a white shirt. If you stand around somewhere looking official in that combo, I can guarantee that someone will ask you for directions to the restroom.
Ah, two more things one must "avoid" in order to avoid looking like someone else.

Let's see, avoid a navy blazer with grey pants or you will look like a security guard.

Avoid a dark colored shirt and tie or you will look like a gangster.

Avoid wearing a black suit because if you have on a white shirt and take off the jacket you will look like a waiter.

How come nobody ever says to avoid charcoal pinstripes or people will think you are a banker or corporate executive? Actually given today's climate, perhaps bankers and corporate executives should just wear dark colored shirts and ties, and look like gangsters. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
97 Posts
For the fist suit I recommend a plain charcoal gray suit. If you are slim/athletic then pick a European cut suit that is slightly tapered in the waist. Also in this case a 3-button jacket would be better.

For you interview wear a plain white dress shirt and a burgundy red or dark blue tie. Striped ties are great business ties that are classy and not too flashy.

If you want to read more, here are two related articles that might help:

What to look for when buying a suit:
https://ezinearticles.com/?Mens-Suit-Buying-Guide&id=1531804

How to dress for a jon interview:
https://ezinearticles.com/?The-Right-Outfit-For-Your-Job-Interview&id=1555577

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.