Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a pair of quoddy boat shoes with the white sole from Oconnells. Sizing was true to my normal size. Of course, these are summer shoes so they did not offer the liner that Quoddy has as an option.

My first impression is that they are nice shoes. They do not have the plastic-like leather feel that some of my other boat shoes have had in the past. I slipped them on and they felt great. The lace goes around the entire shoe so I would assume if they ever needed to be changed, they would go back to Quoddy - how long does leather take to disintegrate? a long time

Also, to comment on the 3-eyes vs the traditional 2-eye- I think it is a nice variation, similar to the J.Press flap-pocket oxford. You would not even think about it if no one told you.

They were not cheap and I bought them as a splurge, but I expect to wear them for a long time. I strongly considered the canoe moc, but wanted to replace my old boat shoe first.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I love mine, a pair of Quoddy boats that I acquired from OC last year. Although they're unlined and therefore very flat and floppy (not a handsome shape), they're rugged and versatile around the house and outdoors. And always comfortable. They're my go-to footwear for short errands, trips to the beach, park, or museum with my kid, or a casual lunch. Where other guys wear sandals or sometimes sneakers, I usually prefer my boats. I don't even own sandals.

And if I had a boat, I'd wear 'em there, too

·
Registered
578 Posts
I wish I had purchased a pair of Quoddy's before the price jump. I'm more interested in the canoe mocs. If I go for higher end boat shoes I may look into Russell Moccasins.

It is interesting (and a tad depressing) to read old threads on Quoddys. At one time I believe Quoddy canoe mocs weren't that much more expensive than the $69 LL Bean variety - only $20 to $40 more IIRC. Those were the days!

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,769 Posts
You will not be disappointed by your Quoddy's. I have five pair, three boats and two penny loafers, all purchased prior to the price increases. In the broken-in look is your preference, the unlined versions are the way to go. The lined versions take a lot longer to acquire that level of sartorial ambiance! ;)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
^ I dealt with O'Connell's, whose service is rarely matched by anyone. My first pair of boats were too narrow, but I made a quick phone call and set up an easy exchange.

And the same goes for buying other items from O'Connell's. These chaps are very phone-friendly; they'll dig through their shelves and describe the particulars of a jacket, suit, or pair of shoes pretty much at your indulgence.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ I dealt with O'Connell's, whose service is rarely matched by anyone. My first pair of boats were too narrow, but I made a quick phone call and set up an easy exchange.

And the same goes for buying other items from O'Connell's. These chaps are very phone-friendly; they'll dig through their shelves and describe the particulars of a jacket, suit, or pair of shoes pretty much at your indulgence.
I agree. O'connell's answered my emailed question right away and shipped the shoes out quick. I received them in 2 days and shipping I think was $5. I have ordered from them before and they have been very good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The one thing that tempts me to pay $200 for a pair of canoe mocs is the possibility of adding a red brick sole. Something like this:

Though I might be tempted to go unlined so my feet didn't suffocate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have to admit I just had an experience that was just the opposite. After wearing Quoddy's for years, I have come to the realization that I need a wide width instead of a standard width.

I ordered my normal size (but wide) from O'Connells in the unlined boat shoe, only to find out that the vamp was different (longer) and the tongue even longer than my old pairs. In fact, the tongue is now so long (partially because the metal eyelets sit even further back on the shoe than before, and partially because the tongue now extends well beyond the last eyelet) that it was rubbing against the front of my ankle! They come up further on my foot that a pair of bluchers.

I decided to send them back, and instead opted for the Alden 2 eyelet boat shoe--craving the traditional 2 eyelet style with a shorter vamp*. I am happy to report that the Alden boat shoe is without a doubt the king of the hill. Its pricey as hell, and I'm going to have to wear it through several resoleings to justify the expense, but its seems to be what I have been looking for.

TT

*I purchased the Red Wing boat shoe earlier this summer, and its a nice shoe with beautiful leather, but the vamp is a bit long (esp. compared to topsiders/Alden, Alden is the shortest of the bunch, by the way), and the toe is a bit too rounded for my taste.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As an update, I have been wearing this new pair all weekend now and after the first day, they feel like a pair I have had for years. The break-in period was quick - the leather stretched out and they have no feeling that they are new. They broke in much better that I expected for a new shoe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.