Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster, and I have a question you guys may be able to help me with.

Today in Goodwill I found a great sports jacket (at least I hope its a sports jacket and not half a suit (It has a 'rough' fabric and non-matchy buttons)). While in the store, I noted that it was 3 buttons rolled to two, but it wasn't till I got home that I noticed no darts and no shoulder padding. In any case, I'm excited to have my first TNSIL jacket.

However, I have a bit of a predicament. Other than one pair of brown pants, which I wore today (and are visible in the first picture), I don't know what I can wear it with. I have grey pants in various shades (pic 2), and the darkest would probably work, right?

Anybody have suggestions for other color pants I could wear with this jacket?

With brown pants:

L-R: Navy, two greys that won't work, one grey that might work?

The other goodies I got today, Andrews ties, down to $5 apiece :icon_smile:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Welcome!

Either of the dark bookends in your photo should work with that jacket. They offer sufficient contrast. So would khakis and jeans.

The vertical stripes do kind of suggest an orphaned suit jacket to me, but I'm no expert by any means. I think it works.

Bigger concern might be the overall length of the jacket, which in the photo seems as though it might be on the short side. But single photos aren't great indicators.

Thanks for posting!

JB

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Welcome!

Either of the dark bookends in your photo should work with that jacket. They offer sufficient contrast. So would khakis and jeans.

The vertical stripes do kind of suggest an orphaned suit jacket to me, but I'm no expert by any means. I think it works.

Bigger concern might be the overall length of the jacket, which in the photo seems as though it might be on the short side. But single photos aren't great indicators.

Thanks for posting!

JB
^+1...

I almost always will put in a vote for khaki in some shade variant...

At any rate, welcome to our neighborhood!:icon_smile:

hbs

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great responses! I guess I'll have to go try on some khakis or jeans to see how they look. I don't own much in the way of either, certainly nothing that would go alright with this jacket.

The 'vertical stripes' you see are because of the herringbone pattern, but I see now in the pictures how it looks a bit like a chalkstripe. I certainly wouldn't mind matching pants if I could somehow get them.

The jacket just barely covers my ass, so yes, it is on the short side, but for $15 I'm not complaining.

The sleeves have two buttons, which is something I haven't seen yet, except maybe on metal-buttoned blazers. Is there any significance to this?

·
Registered
578 Posts
FWIW, I would second the concern over the length of the jacket. From your picture, and from what I gather from your description, it appears to be teetering on the edge of being too short. I have had a few suits/sport coats that fit this way that I ultimately decided to pass along. While certainly not terrible - no one will accuse you of having stolen some poor child's sport coat - a slightly longer jacket would lengthen your torso and, by extension, your overall appearance (at least it tends too for me, which I appreciate).

Again, for what its worth.

Regarding the two buttons on the sleeve, others could give you the definitive history of this, but in my experience this is a signature detail of classic TNSIL clothing produced during a time when the prevalence of and options for such clothing exceeded what we have available today. In other words, it dates the jacket, in a good way.

Welcome to the forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.