Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking into buying a pair of nice leather shoes for walking to class everyday. I will be wearing BB Clark Chinos in the colors British Khaki, Dark Taupe, Khaki, and Stone. Would the AE Wilbert in brown be a good choice?

I actually went to the Allen Edmonds store today to take a look and have my feet measured. The saleswomen used the Brannock device and told me that I should get a 7.5 E. It felt pretty tight when I tried it on, but the saleswomen checked the fit and said it was right. Should I assume that she's right? I am not exactly sure how tight a shoe should feel.

Also, I don't think I will be able to find a cheap pair of 7.5 E Wilberts on Ebay, can anyone recommend an alternative to buying it for $245 at retail? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Finding a 7.5 E at a significant discount is going to be very tough, because as I'm sure you know, it's a fairly uncommon size. Welcome to my world; I have the same trouble finding 40L suits on eBay. :(

As for the sizing, I would trust a professional opinion over my own. But that's just me. At the same time, you have to be comfortable walking around in the shoe. If you're not comfortable in your shoes (literally and metaphorically speaking), you're in for a world of hurt. :icon_smile_big:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The AE Wilbert is a great shoe for doing a lot of walking...very comfortable, durable, and ruggedly handsome. What time of day did you visit the AE store and try on the Wilbert's? If it was early in your day and the shoes felt tight, you could indeed have a sizing problem. Your feet will swell as you walk about through your days and your shoes will seem tighter. While the sales person should know what they are doing, no one knows your feet...like you! You might call AE regarding alternative (slightly wider) sizes available. Good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree, if it felt tight then it was probably too small. If it was just slightly snug, it will probably loosen up a little bit with wear and would probably be alright, but if it actually felt at all tight then you should go up a size.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Finding a 7.5 E at a significant discount is going to be very tough, because as I'm sure you know, it's a fairly uncommon size. Welcome to my world; I have the same trouble finding 40L suits on eBay. :(

As for the sizing, I would trust a professional opinion over my own. But that's just me. At the same time, you have to be comfortable walking around in the shoe. If you're not comfortable in your shoes (literally and metaphorically speaking), you're in for a world of hurt. :icon_smile_big:
40L is a very common size, isn't it? I mean, that brings its own issues, in that any 40L available on Ebay (or on a clearance rack or wherever) will have many interested suitors, whereas a 7.5E shoe will probably not be too popular.

Anyway, it looks like you can get them for $210 at the Shoe Mart.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did I miss it or are you not allowed to choose your shoe width for the wilbert on shoemart? I added a 7.5, and it shows up in my cart as a 7.5 3E, with no way to choose width. That's probably all they have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did I miss it or are you not allowed to choose your shoe width for the wilbert on shoemart? I added a 7.5, and it shows up in my cart as a 7.5 3E, with no way to choose width. That's probably all they have.
Yeah, that's the way it appears, sorry I didn't look into it before I recommended it, I just saw it when I Googled them. It seems weird that the only length they'd have is triple E, though, even given that they, as a discount place, might have weird size options, so maybe you should email them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
40L is a very common size, isn't it? I mean, that brings its own issues, in that any 40L available on Ebay (or on a clearance rack or wherever) will have many interested suitors, whereas a 7.5E shoe will probably not be too popular.

Anyway, it looks like you can get them for $210 at the Shoe Mart.
It's been my experience that 40R is an extremely common size, whereas 40L is somewhat uncommon. Either that, or as you said, it's so common that it's always taken everywhere I look. :icon_smile: Whichever the case, I have a hell of a time finding decent 40L suits on sale.

·
Registered
39 Posts
AE Wilberts

For what it's worth, I just spent two days shopping in Denver. I began early, but arrived at the AE store around 10:30, where I purchased a pair of Wilberts and wore them out of the store. I continued shopping 'til around 6:00pm.

While they were a bit stiff, as the day wore on (pun intended), I noticed that I felt no discomfort whatsoever. In short, I'm very pleased with the Wilberts and I'd certainly recommend them to anyone who does a lot of working. And I really like the style and color.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello, I'm looking into buying a pair of nice leather shoes for walking to class everyday. I will be wearing BB Clark Chinos in the colors British Khaki, Dark Taupe, Khaki, and Stone. Would the AE Wilbert in brown be a good choice?

I actually went to the Allen Edmonds store today to take a look and have my feet measured. The saleswomen used the Brannock device and told me that I should get a 7.5 E. It felt pretty tight when I tried it on, but the saleswomen checked the fit and said it was right. Should I assume that she's right? I am not exactly sure how tight a shoe should feel.

Also, I don't think I will be able to find a cheap pair of 7.5 E Wilberts on Ebay, can anyone recommend an alternative to buying it for $245 at retail? Thanks for the help.
First, forget the Wilbert.

Since you're just starting out, find the combination of last and shoe size that works best on your foot. This means trying on a lot of shoes. Disregard model and appearance. Find the last and size. That's the closest you can come to bespoke shoes without buying bespoke shoes.

Once you find the last and size that fits you best, then survey the models available and buy the one that suits you best.

I have spent lots of time and probably around $6,000 on AE shoes. Yet I'm giving you this advice for free. Thanks is enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.