Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a freshmen at Georgetown am new to this forum. This is my first post :).

I am looking to buy my first suit.

I found one at the New York store for 389 dollars. It is a navy herringbone prestige suit. I am a size 36 R

Attached is a picture of the suit.

Is this suit worth the money and is it my best option.

I need something high quality and versatile as I am also running for political office back home in New York.

I don’t want to just get carried away by name, as Press has sentimental value to me. My grandpa was a Yallie and had a huge collection of vintage press items. He always told me he would take me their when the time came for my first suit.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Welcome to the forum! While I think a solid navy or grey would be more versatile, from the picture that herringbone pattern appears subtle. IF the suit fits you well, then in my opinion that's a very fair value. Don't compromise on fit though; don't justify it as "good enough" just because it's a good deal.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Kyle!

At $389, is the suit part of a clearance sale? The Presstige suits on the J. Press website are all at $895, and the one you're considering is not on the website. If the suit is on sale at that steep a discount, it might be Autumn/Winter stock, and perhaps too heavy to wear during a summer political campaign or in a crowded room with poor climate control. Good quality, yes, but not the most versatile. Some on this forum have noted that the Presstige line has had a bit too much padding in the shoulders in recent years, but J. Press might have switched manufacturers and the padding might no longer be an issue.

I've visited the new New York store on a couple of occasions, and the staff seem most enthusiastic about the product.

You might also consider the offerings from O'Connell's, in Buffalo -- https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Suit-Essentials/ -- the link is for tropical wool suits, which can be worn year-round. They have four lines of suits -- their house brand, probably made by Empire, in Canada; Southwick, made in Massachusetts; H. Freeman (not to be confused with Hickey Freeman), made in Maryland; and Samuelsohn, made in Canada. From experience I can say the first three are all nice suits, although I am not too fond of the button stance on the stock H. Freemans I have bought from there (the top button is too low, and dry cleaners have trouble respecting the 3/2 roll). Assuming you don't live in Buffalo, you will have to find a tailor near you for alterations, something to consider if cost is an issue.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forums, Kyle!

At $389, is the suit part of a clearance sale? The Presstige suits on the J. Press website are all at $895, and the one you're considering is not on the website. If the suit is on sale at that steep a discount, it might be Autumn/Winter stock, and perhaps too heavy to wear during a summer political campaign or in a crowded room with poor climate control. Good quality, yes, but not the most versatile. Some on this forum have noted that the Presstige line has had a bit too much padding in the shoulders in recent years, but J. Press might have switched manufacturers and the padding might no longer be an issue.

I've visited the new New York store on a couple of occasions, and the staff seem most enthusiastic about the product.

You might also consider the offerings from O'Connell's, in Buffalo -- https://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Suit-Essentials/ -- the link is for tropical wool suits, which can be worn year-round. They have four lines of suits -- their house brand, probably made by Empire, in Canada; Southwick, made in Massachusetts; H. Freeman (not to be confused with Hickey Freeman), made in Maryland; and Samuelsohn, made in Canada. From experience I can say the first three are all nice suits, although I am not too fond of the button stance on the stock H. Freemans I have bought from there (the top button is too low, and dry cleaners have trouble respecting the 3/2 roll). Assuming you don't live in Buffalo, you will have to find a tailor near you for alterations, something to consider if cost is an issue.

Good luck!
Hello PG63 Thank you so much for the advice. The suit is from last seasons sale and the last available in the NY store. It just so happens to be in my size. I was not aware that the weight of the fabric might be heavier and therefore not as versatile. I will definitely check out O Conell's I'm from New York City so Buffalo is definitely out of the way. If you have any suggestions at this price range I'd be happy to know.

-Kyle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello PG63 Thank you so much for the advice. The shit is from last seasons sale and the last available in the NY store. It just so happens to be in my size. I was not aware that the weight of the fabric might be heavier and therefore not as versatile. I will definitely check out O Conell's I'm from New York City so Buffalo is definitely out of the way. If you have any suggestions at this price range I'd be happy to know.

-Kyle
O'Connell's regular prices are comparable to J. Press's regular prices.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hello, I am a freshmen at Georgetown am new to this forum. This is my first post :).

I am looking to buy my first suit.

Is this suit worth the money and is it my best option.
Yes, it's worth the money, but no-it's not your best option for your first suit. It's a good option-a rather good option, in fact. But hands down the best? No.

When I looked at the enlarged photo of the suit, I noticed that the stripes were conspicuous. Not unattractive-just conspicuous for a fellow's first suit. Ideally, a first suit will be a solid navy or charcoal grey.

However-

Despite the stripes, the navy blue will look pleasing anywhere you need to wear a suit. It's dark enough and, anyway, nobody needs to know it's your first suit. And the price is an excellent deal. So if it fits you, I say get it.

Is it winter weight? I wouldn't worry about it. Today's winter fabric isn't anything like winter-weight fabric from years ago.

I need something high quality and versatile as I am also running for political office back home in New York.
Ah. In that case, make sure you take the jacket to a tailor so that extra pockets can be put inside it. Deep pockets. Might as well get your career in elective politics started off on the right foot.

He always told me he would take me their when the time came for my first suit.
You're a freshman (not "freshmen") at Georgetown? Impressive. In that case, please tell me what is wrong with the sentence that is quoted directly above. (Memo to those who think I'm being mean to the new guy: I'd rather he learn proper grammar here, right now, before he makes a distracting-and embarrassing-blunder in a term paper.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's worth the money, but no-it's not your best option for your first suit. It's a good option-a rather good option, in fact. But hands down the best? No.

When I looked at the enlarged photo of the suit, I noticed that the stripes were conspicuous. Not unattractive-just conspicuous for a fellow's first suit. Ideally, a first suit will be a solid navy or charcoal grey.

However-

Despite the stripes, the navy blue will look pleasing anywhere you need to wear a suit. It's dark enough and, anyway, nobody needs to know it's your first suit. And the price is an excellent deal. So if it fits you, I say get it.

Is it winter weight? I wouldn't worry about it. Today's winter fabric isn't anything like winter-weight fabric from years ago.

Ah. In that case, make sure you take the jacket to a tailor so that extra pockets can be put inside it. Deep pockets. Might as well get your career in elective politics started off on the right foot.

You're a freshman (not "freshmen") at Georgetown? Impressive. In that case, please tell me what is wrong with the sentence that is quoted directly above. (Memo to those who think I'm being mean to the new guy: I'd rather he learn proper grammar here, right now, before he makes a distracting-and embarrassing-blunder in a term paper.)
Thanks for the advice Charles and the editing x) (freshman, not freshmen got it) and it's there not their. I know I've been corrected on that one quite a bit throughout my schooling. X)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello and welcome!

These gentlemen have already provided excellent advice about the style. I'll just say a few words about the fit.

Make sure that the shoulders aren't too wide, as this is sometimes an issue with Press jackets - especially for guys (like us) that are on the smaller/slimmer side. If it's your first time having a suit finished, be sure that you wear a dress shirt that falls correctly on your wrist and dress shoes. The standard advice here is to ask for "cuffs, no break" on the trousers and to show about 1/2 an inch of shirt cuffs. Some folks like closer to one inch, but I'd recommend being a little conservative. I'm sure that they'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
If it's your first time having a suit finished, be sure that you wear a dress shirt that falls correctly on your wrist and dress shoes.
Nope. I'm not going there. I'm going to resist. For once, I won't give in to the temptation to be a smartass. I've already done that once in this thread, and that's plenty.

I do thank straw sandals for the interesting imagery, though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Going for a good quality bargain suit at this point in your life is probably a good choice. If you are traditional freshman age (17 or 18), then you may not be done growing. I entered college as a size 38 jacket and left a size 41/42, which didn't bode well for the suits that I bought early on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
OP: Hey, I'm excited for you!

I remember my father taking me out to get a blazer and some dress pants, and another time we went to suit me up with a nice three-piece suit. My dad and I were never very close, but we both happened to surprisingly enjoy these times, so it brings back a happy memory.

I agree on sizing. You're likely to fill out some more in the chest.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
We get a lot of queries here about which suit to buy and why and these never interest me, but this line beckoned...
You're a freshman at Georgetown, so you're like what, 19? What office in NYC might you be running for/from? Whatever, strong advice follows: Skip the suit altogether. Check what the voters are wearing, up it a notch, starting with clean, and campaign in that. Choose a blazer when the occasion warrants and skip the tie or wear it loosened and down two inches with open collar. (Disclaimer: I'm a Bernie Sander's guy so advice is given with salt, in grains.)

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
...I need something high quality and versatile as I am also running for political office back home in New York...
Nothing is more versatile than the navy or char solid. Starting out in politics you will need it (and your black PAs) on some days.

And don't forget that American flag pin. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is a Press store on L Street near Connecticut Avenue.

A solid navy or solid grey will be more versatile than a herringbone. I also recommend a tropical weight suit for the stump since it gets pretty hot during the summer in the heat of campaigning.

Unfortunately, since you are campaigning north of the Mason Dixon, seersucker and linen are probably out of the question. You could go tieless for more casual campaign events.

What does help quite a bit in the summer is a high performance Under Armour undershirt that can wick away moisture. And then wear a white or a light blue broadcloth shirt over it.

Hoya Saxa.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I need something high quality and versatile as I am also running for political office back home in New York. My grandpa was a Yallie and had a huge collection of vintage press items. He always told me he would take me their when the time came for my first suit.
Why does anyone believe this kind of nonsense?

A check on the name produces no campaign information.

Why didn't GPA take him for a suit?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Purchase a Charcoal Grey Suit and a good Navy Blazer. The suit is self explanatory. You can then wear grey trousers with the blazer. Given that you are a freshman, and as others have pointed out, you may not have finished growing, I would check Ebay for suitable choices at an economical price. Stock up on white and blue shirts. Get a pair of good comfortable shoes. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.