Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first bow tie....what does this mean?

:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Good choice. Whenever I wear a tie, I prefer to go with a bow in a simple regimental stripe or paisley pattern. I think they have a much better balance than long ties.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I does mean you need to learn how to tie it.

The way I was taught, which I've passed on to others, is to sit down and wrap it around your leg just above the knee. Tie it like you're tying a shoelace. Once it looks like a proper bow tie, start practicing around your neck.

Once you get that done, you'll probably want more of them.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
my wife helped me tie mine this morning (with the help of a youtube video). First time I wore one...love the look, need to learn how to tie it better though...:(

·
Registered
195 Posts
It means the beginning of an obsession. I started wearing them after a trip to NYC when I got one at BB for next to nothing and thought it'd be cool to learn. A few R Hanauer orders later, and it is gaining ground on my regular tie collection.

I gave one with calculus on it to my Math Teacher. He loves it, but he jokes that tying it is harder than topology! I have to help him quite frequently.

It probably also means that you'll be tempted to wear nothing but. I'd suggest against this. I had this same itch for quite a while and had to get rid of it when people start calling you the bow tie guy AKA Tucker Carlson syndrome. Then you MUST switch back to all ties. When the time is right, start bringing ties back in. You'll then find a much healthier balance. Or you'll only wear bow ties for the rest of your life. Your call.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured out how to tie it in like 5 minutes (quick learner) and while I have not wore it to work yet...when I return from my Christmas vacation, I will try it out in public.

·
Registered
209 Posts
remember, don't tie so perfect it looks like a rented tuxedo clip on. make the knot a little big, or make the ends a little "off". Also, and most importantly, after you tie it look in the mirror and make sure the tie is about the width of your face, otherwise it will look disproportionate.

wow, i've had to edit this 3 times now. any remaining errors are solely attributable to dewars on the rocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
remember, don't tie so perfect it looks like a rented tuxedo clip on. make the knot a little big, or make the ends not a little off. Also, and most importantantly, after you tie it look in the mirror and make sure the tie is about the width of your face, otherwise it will look disproportionate.
I agree, you don't want a bowtie that is tied so perfectly it looks like a cheap clip-on. Make sure it's all but perfect and it will make it look ever better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you wear it to the office, it means you will immediately be known as the "bowtie guy," a good thing.

Most important rule of bowtie wearing is that once you've tied it, never, ever fiddle with it or touch it until you take it off.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been interested in purchasing a couple of bowties for quite some time. The question is that my office recently hired an attorney who frequently wears bowties.

Since he's the "bowtie guy" what would my wearing a bowtie make me? Should I set aside my interest since there's already a bowtie wearer in our office of 45 people?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've been interested in purchasing a couple of bowties for quite some time. The question is that my office recently hired an attorney who frequently wears bowties.

Since he's the "bowtie guy" what would my wearing a bowtie make me? Should I set aside my interest since there's already a bowtie wearer in our office of 45 people?
Is this attorney there all the time? No matter what, you'll probably be seen as copying him. So you either have to do it better, or wear novelty ties until the comparison stops.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.