Men's Clothing Forums banner

Finest Medium/Heavy Weight Wool for Ultimate Navy Blazer,...

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  127.72 MHz 
#1 · (Edited)
I have my own opinion but with access to a wealth of experiences I thought I would put it out to the membership.

I admit one of my obsessions is my selection of Navy Blazers or Sport Jackets. I have Oxxford 1220 x 2 with navy buttons, Oxxford highest quality with custom nickel buttons and one with navy buttons. I have another that was made in he U.K. many years ago that still has some wear left in it but,...

I am going to have another one made with metal buttons of some sort. I do not want a light weight cloth for this one. I have looked at Harrison's and all Porter and Harding lines. Holland and Sherry, although I must admit that it annoys me that they do not list the weight expressed in either grams or ounces for their fabric.

I was overwhelmed looking through Dormeuil,....

If anyone has personal experience and cares to share I would appreciate your view on what fabric you would choose for your ultimate Navy Blazer.

Thank you,

Discussion starter · #7 ·
How about Harrison's Oyster #75712. I have a suit made from this fabric--a 14-ounce hopsack. Since you wanted something on the heavier side, I think this would fill the bill to perfection.

Or, what about flannel? I have a very nice blazer made from a 12-ounce Lesser flannel. It's somewhat lighter than true navy, but I think it's very striking.
Great suggestion. Hard to believe I breezed through the entire Oyster line when I went through Harrisons. The Oyster 75712, 75714, and 75686, are all 13oz/400gm and are in the ballpark. And, of course, my tailor has the Harrisons catalog.

I am going to give another look to old reliable VBC too.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.
Regards,

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I too like doeskin. I have, somewhere, a J. Press doeskin blazer that I used to love.

I bet I'm too big for it now,...

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Next Thursday a decision will be made. Funny you mentioned cashmere,....I was looking at cashmere yesterday.

This discussion has expanded my view,...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.