Men's Clothing Forums banner

Finest Medium/Heavy Weight Wool for Ultimate Navy Blazer,...

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  127.72 MHz 
#1 · (Edited)
I have my own opinion but with access to a wealth of experiences I thought I would put it out to the membership.

I admit one of my obsessions is my selection of Navy Blazers or Sport Jackets. I have Oxxford 1220 x 2 with navy buttons, Oxxford highest quality with custom nickel buttons and one with navy buttons. I have another that was made in he U.K. many years ago that still has some wear left in it but,...

I am going to have another one made with metal buttons of some sort. I do not want a light weight cloth for this one. I have looked at Harrison's and all Porter and Harding lines. Holland and Sherry, although I must admit that it annoys me that they do not list the weight expressed in either grams or ounces for their fabric.

I was overwhelmed looking through Dormeuil,....

If anyone has personal experience and cares to share I would appreciate your view on what fabric you would choose for your ultimate Navy Blazer.

Thank you,

#2 ·
Disclaimer: Not from personal experience!

I would try out a heavier weight Minnis fresco, unlined blazer. Should be very airy and cool wearing, but it should provide drape, unlined should theoretically make it even airier.

Also, Styleforum's Classic Menswear subforum has a great big cloth thread you might want to check out, and ask them as well.

#7 ·
Great suggestion. Hard to believe I breezed through the entire Oyster line when I went through Harrisons. The Oyster 75712, 75714, and 75686, are all 13oz/400gm and are in the ballpark. And, of course, my tailor has the Harrisons catalog.

I am going to give another look to old reliable VBC too.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.
Regards,

#11 ·
I too like doeskin. I have, somewhere, a J. Press doeskin blazer that I used to love.

I bet I'm too big for it now,...
I still have a Press doeskin and it is one of the best investments Ive ever made in clothing. Fit, cut, feel of the fabric is excellent. Ive had to have it let out once as I became "prosperous" as my tailor likes to say, but it is a go to garment for fall through early spring.

#10 ·
^^Many a time is it
that I have found myself dieting to get back into or to recapture the perfect fit of one of my beloved blazers, sport coats and suit jackets. Vanity mixed with nostalgia can be such a "B*tch," as one's mistress! LOL. Been there, done that, still have the garments, ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.