Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser. Trying to decide between the traditional Mackinaw or the Double Mackinaw. I live in upstate NY, but am concerned that the Double might be too heavy as I'm not planning to use it for hunting/camping. I'm thinking the Double would be too warm (unless I worked outdoors). I'll wear it as a casual winter coat over everything from jeans to maybe a tweed sportcoat.

1) Anyone with experience with either/both jackets?
2) I'm really digging the forest green, but also like the charcoal. Any input as to color selection? The red/black plaid is not an option!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Great jacket. I've gotten a good deal of wear out of mine this winter. I have the traditional Cruiser and it's plenty warm. Keep in mind that it's cut large(r) than most jackets so you can easily layer underneath.

If you purchase online, go through Crane's Country Store in Missouri. Use the code SFFilson1 for 20% off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi, I chose the Yukon Weekender over the Mackinaw Cruiser as the wool is a bit softer (although about the same thickness/weight). Both are great jackets, but not particularly warm in their own right as the wool is unlined and quite thin. The bonus is that they don't let the wind through at all so if what you're wearing underneath is fairly warm then you'll stay warm.

The single Mackinaw is fairly light and the double isn't too heavy (certainly nothing like a heavy wool overcoat).

In summary, if you use layers to control your temperature get the single (or look at the Yukon which is a bit softer and has a zip), and if you just want a single layer that will be warmer and keep out the worst the weather can throw at it, get the double. All three are fantastic and you can't really go wrong here.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am not sure if this is useful, but I have the Mac vest. This is essentially the single layer jacket without the arms or collar. It is surprisingly warm and seems it would make a good midweight winter coat--if it had sleeves. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.