Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any info on how often Filene's Basement has big sales? I looked at a blazer there this weekend. I really liked it, but it is out of my price range. I'm not sure what happens to an item that goes unsold there, but I assume they get ride of it during a periodic markdown event. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,528 Posts
FB does not seem to mark down their suits and sport coats very often for clearance (especially with Southwick, Oxxford, HF and other better makers' suits), but they do have 20-25% off events pretty often. I think that one just ended a week or so ago. Register on their web site and they will send you emails telling you when these events will take place, and they sometimes will tell you in the emails that you can reserve garments in advance of the sale.

· Registered
165 Posts
My fiance took me to the one here in Atlanta a few weeks back to look for a suit for our wedding while they were having a 50% off suit sale. HF suits were (I think) $600, but I didn't see anything I liked and just picked something up from BB during their F&F sale a week ago.

She signed up and gets email from them, so that's how she knew when to go.

· Registered
165 Posts
It's a pretty depressing place. I was just there today, and saw little for myself. They had piles of Brioni ties for $59, some Canali stuff too.
I personally like full cut suits, so they really didn't have anything for me. There were a couple of bow ties, but that was it.

She always finds something or another there, me, not so much.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
E-mail Lists

I joined Filene's Basement and Nordstrom Rack's e-mail lists today. Didn't get one of those "thanks for joining e-mails" though. I guess I'll wait another day and then try again.

I still wonder what happens if a suit goes unsold. They don't just attach to a handle and mop the floor with it. I wonder if there is a clearance place that they send things to?

· Registered
301 Posts
It's a pretty depressing place. I was just there today, and saw little for myself. They had piles of Brioni ties for $59, some Canali stuff too.
It doesn't seem like the Atlanta Filene's has ever had the selection that apparently exists in other cities (i.e., Oxxford) but it seems like the selection has been going down hill for a long time now. Most Hickey Freeman suits seem to be the Ltd. line and they don't even carry Ralph Lauren dress shirts anymore. I assume they feel the better stuff is more likely to sell elsewhere.

· Registered
13 Posts
I noticed you were located in Boston - and that other replies had come from outside the region - I thought this might help. I shop at Filene's Basement regularly. This weekend I purchased a Cashmere / Beaver lined Brioni Car Coat in Black from the Basement on Boylston Street and then headed over to the Basement in Newton and found a Black Full Length Brioni Cashmere Overcoat with Beaver Collar, which I couldn't resist. Both retailed for over $6500 and were ~$1800 each. A tough call in these times but I didn't expect either to hang around for long.

What you find at an FB depends, I think, on its catchment area. I have no familiarity with FB's sourcing policies or mechanics but I can say that the FBs in Newton and Back Bay seem to rely heavily on Louis Boston, Barney's and NY / CT / RI / Cape Dept stores for much of their high end stock.

This summer I purchased three Oxxford Jackets, three Brioni Jackets, two Kiton Jackets and a Zegna Couture Jacket - and paid no more than $600 for any of them.

At the beginning of the season, while there are bargains to be had, my experience is that they rarely 'red tag' anything. Who knows what will happen with this economy but it's usually 2 - 3 months before anything in the 'Vault' section starts to be marked down. There are certainly incredible bargains to be found when that does happen (my Jackets are perfect examples) but I also think it's down to risk / nerve when you see something you just 'have to have'.

My call at the weekend was that those Brioni coats wouldn't be around for long, even at that price - and they was only one of each. With the jacket purchases in the summer the Newton store had enough examples I liked that I was prepared to wait, and visit once a week until they came down to a price I thought reasonable. My other criteria is usually - could I find a similar item on eBay or similar, could I buy it more cheaply from a seller I trusted, or could I have it made more cheaply.

A long answer to a simple question!! In summary, if you saw the jacket earlier this month, I'd expect to wait until close to Thanksgiving before it's marked down significantly. If you REALLY want it (and haven't done so already) sign up for their Insider scheme and you'll get money off your first purchase. If it's the only one you'll have to decide if it's really worth it TO YOU. Can you find the same or similar cheaper on line? If there's more than one - or similar ones you also like, there's a good chance there will be one left waiting for you when the prices come down later this fall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.