Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are we paying the media to insult, dumb down and demoralise us?
Several months ago, I caught a stupid segment on a stupid show on SPIKE T.V. And no, I wasn't 'passing through' on my way to Masterpiece Theater or the Nature Channel.
I was in fact, watching the 12y/o son for the day of a romanian friend at my church.You tend to watch crashing cars with 12 y/o's. The episode featured a car stunt in Bucharest. The narrater mocked it, calling romanian a 'mostly unintelligable gutteral language." Nicolai's eyes immediately teared up, all the struggle of learning english and fitting in kicked out from beneath his own struggle in life.

I turned the channel, started his instruction in activism by going online and beginging a long, seeming one man war on SPIKE T.V. Eventually SPIKE sent Nicolai a formal apology and the episode has been canned for good, never to be replayed.

During the Olympics, I called the sponsors on their support for an event hosted by a country denying human rights to it's own citizens and an occupied nation.
I received the usual assurances they were closely watching the situation and cared deeply about my concerns. I was reminded selling watches somehow helped imprisoned monks pass the time faster or something.

A few days ago, a major elelctronic release was recalled. It was quoting Koranic verses with music, an islamic no no. With very little initial action, the muslim community saw an immediate response to their complaint.

This morning I get an agitated phone call, from of all people the local Chabbad Rebi. " Chris! turn MTV ON NOW!"
He hung up, I turned it on, Some Tyra Banks model contest reality show. The girls were doing that joint grinding catwalk strut up and down----- the aisle of a RC or possibly orthodox sanctuary; pews, icons, pulpit with a judge ensconsed.The braless tits jiggled, the studied jaw out profile poses and some gal in a black and white outfit screaming hooker/nun did this dance of Delilah without the 7 veils, looking like a dust devil in drag at BURNING MAN.

I thought it was tacky at best, the mocking of high church symbols hardly new. I turned the channel and the news was at the house of a guy who hung a Palin manniquin and has John McCain in the chimney surrounded by flames.

About then the Rebi called back. " so, you going to call Proctor and Gamble, Viacom?" and a list he already knew by heart.

I probably will, though I wonder why America at large isn't weary of all the contrived uglynesss,vulgarity and plain meaness of spirit we pass off as freedom of expression?

I went to the kitchen for a P&J sandwich and milk. I looked to see who made the damned peanut butter.

Sitting down, I turned the channel once more, actually DID get The Nature channel. A baboon was scratching his anal tissue in front of a rival.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Are we paying the media to insult, dumb down and demoralise us?....
Yes.

... I wonder why America at large isn't weary of all the contrived uglynesss,vulgarity and plain meaness of spirit we pass off as freedom of expression?....
Because it's been a part of what passes for our national culture since the get-go. It is one of our forms of tradition, one which often scorns critical thinking in favor of passively received commercial interests. A new idea can't simply be discussed but rather must become a commodity and lately a "branded lifestyle" with all the shopping that implies.

In some places expression and its means are hotly debated, enjoyed and then discarded for something new or more interesting. Here, it becomes and entrenched industry with government subsidies.

Just like the old reporter joke about the man on the street interview:

Reporter: "Sir, we're out in America today to find out what the biggest problems are facing the nation. We believe them to be ignorance and apathy. What do you think?"

Man on the street: "I don't know and I don't care."

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
People have always been immoral, perhaps just as much as now. I believe it was Nietzsche, one of the first Western philosophers to embrace and incorporate Eastern ideas into his own thinking, that proposed certain concepts remain, but the definitions of these concepts change over time. We will always have a concept of morality, but over time it will have a different meaning; no meaning greater, no meaning lesser, simply a meaning that changes. Just because immorality is being distributed on a seemingly widespread scale doesn't make it a greater or more intense evil than before; we are merely experiencing evil differently than the past did. I also believe 50-100 years from now, evil will take on a new form and be distributed on another scale, whether small or big, and people in the future will be troubled by the intensity and greatness of the immorality they face. They will look back at today and, again, wrongly think of how worse off they are in the future. More recently, the French have called America a "freedom experiment." There is still no telling what will happen when the concept of "free will" is allowed to ride out with little restriction. The trouble with America, as we are realizing, is that freedom is often used irresponsibly. The most despairing thing about all this is we won't know how expression of free will (with minimal restriction) concludes until the expression of free will (with minimal restriction) has been throughly played out, and we have moved passed the novelty of such a concept.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The answer Nietzsche gave to dealing with the same concept that changes over and over is Nhilism: the acceptance of so-called reality for everything it is. I personally don't think there is an answer; perhaps one may accept reality without acknowledging that there is an answer, or one may zone out morality, not to be confused with carelessness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.