Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read over at CNN that the stimulus bill will put $13 per week into the average earners pocket, starting in June. I cannot decide which would have been more insulting, no tax credit, or a $13 tax credit. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that negotiation.

Senator Moron: A $12 tax credit doesn't stimulate enough.
Senator Lobotomy: Yes, but a $14 credit will heat things up too much.
Senator Goldilocks: A $13 tax credit will be just right.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with one commentator I heard who said it should be called a depressant not a stimulant.
Good point. I keep hearing how desperate things are, and how important it is to get a stimulus package out there to fight the looming economic doomsday, and the best they could come up with is $13 a week, for half a year.

Later on the Senate voted to send a squirt gun to Australia to help fight the wildfires.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
I just read over at CNN that the stimulus bill will put $13 per week into the average earners pocket, starting in June. I cannot decide which would have been more insulting, no tax credit, or a $13 tax credit. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that negotiation.
You and the subsequent posters are making no sense. We just built a 300 million-dollar highway up here. To do so we took a dollar from every man, woman and child in the US.

Not.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I could probably buy 2-3 bags of composted cow manure from the garden center for that. I could then ship it off to DC. Seems like a fair trade.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

After watching Barney Frank and Maxine Waters yesterday I believe that is pretty much how it went. The label of Moron and lobotomy is interestingly spot on.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
After watching Barney Frank and Maxine Waters yesterday I believe that is pretty much how it went. The label of Moron and lobotomy is interestingly spot on.
Wow...that little circus was painful to watch. Frankly, I don't know if the members of Congress or the bank CEOs were more embarassing

The bank CEOs deserved to have their knuckles rapped (repeatedly), but that kangaroo court was really nothing more than an opportunity for politicians to get soundbites of them raking the big, bad CEOs over the coals down on tape. It will come in handy when they all run for reelection.

·
Registered
106 Posts
$800 billion dollars (give or take) sounds like a heck of a lot of money until you divide it up by the 300 million citizens of the US. I hope that all of this government action works, but the numbers don't make a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Wow...that little circus was painful to watch. Frankly, I don't know if the members of Congress or the bank CEOs were more embarassing

The bank CEOs deserved to have their knuckles rapped (repeatedly), but that kangaroo court was really nothing more than an opportunity for politicians to get soundbites of them raking the big, bad CEOs over the coals down on tape. It will come in handy when they all run for reelection.
What is worse is you can see just how little congress really knows or understands about how the real economy works.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
$800 billion dollars (give or take) sounds like a heck of a lot of money until you divide it up by the 300 million citizens of the US. I hope that all of this government action works, but the numbers don't make a lot of sense to me.
Yes, if the idea were to divide the money equally between all 300 million. Tax cuts would have a multiplier effect greater than throwing them into "shovel ready projects". Tax cuts on business creates jobs which then grows the business which then creates more jobs. It is self sustaining. Building a road puts people to work but for how long? These contractors live and die by government contracts. Once the road is built the workers are let go. There is no way for a road paving company to sustain that type of workload.

With respect to these projects, consider also the range of environmental impact studies, feasibility studies and potential law suits because some road is going to be running too close to a wetlands somewhere. We havn't even talked about the potential for fraud, waste and abuse always inherent in these public works projects. A good portion of the money that is supposed to be stimulating the economy will pretty much be wasted.

·
Registered
527 Posts

and if your taxes went up 13 bucks a week would that be better?

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
As we have been reminded so often President Bush cut long term tax rates for everybody AND provided checks (a refund) to stimulate the economy and the ensuing recovery post-9/11. It worked and was sustained until 2007 when the Democratic Congress came to power. Pure coincidence; no doubt.

It's fine to disagree on social policy, but please don't be fooled into believing that Bush only cut taxes for the wealthy or sent "stimulus" checks. It was only this year with a Democratic congress where Bush could not get further tax cuts to respond to the slow down that they resorted to stimulus checks which did work. GDP rose marginally in the two months the checks hit. This proves the point. Tax cuts are sustained cash flows that have long term effects; stimulus checks and other spending are one-time stimulants. Like the junkie the Dems will be back for more.

What President Bush did worked! He cut taxes FOR EVERYBODY! Every person you know got a tax cut and a refund check! AND IT WORKED!

You might have to let that sink in a while as it alters your previous "reality." ;)

Now ... since it worked; what happened? What economic policies were passed or were expected after the 2006 elections?

The economy was still doing well when President Bush and the Republicans were in charge. It was only after Pelosi took over that the economy tanked. This is 100% pure coincidence and you should continue to ignore this and listen only to what Katie Couric and Brian Williams tell you about the Messiah.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and if your taxes went up 13 bucks a week would that be better?
That would depend on how the money was used. Considering it would be Congress using the money, it is guaranteed that the money would not be used intelligently. However, if someday we start making members of Congress out of some other material than that which comes out of the back end of a cow, then, yes, a $13 per week increase in my taxes could be a good thing. If properly used, it might restore faith in the whole house of cards that is the Federal system of unfunded promises and increasingly doubtful IOUs. That could have a positive effect on our overall economy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everyone who's scoffing, PM me and I'll tell you where to Paypal $676 annually till things get better.
As Bush proved a year ago, giving a lump sum doesn't work.
And now I propose that Obama will prove that an insignificant sum spread out over multiple pay periods also does not work. Oh, and as an aside, during the months when the Bush lump sums were paid out the U.S. GDP did increase, at least according to the Department of Commerce.

I believe there are a few less than brain-dead ideas in the stimulus bill. Tax credits that encourage people and businesses to spend, or give lenders the incentive to lend are good ideas for getting the economy moving again. We have a crisis of confidence, not ability. Okay, Congress has a crisis of ability, but we the people are used to that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.