Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edward Green will be holding a made-to-order event at Leffot in Chicago next month. I'm thinking of commissioning another pair of Galway boots and was seeking opinions/feedback on the following details:

Leather:
I was thinking of a two tone boot with the uppers being Loden suede and the bottom using Juniper antique calf. I've not seen the Juniper calf in person but online and when speaking with Leffot, it seems to have enough green in it to complement the Loden.

Soles:
I want a synthetic sole but want to try something different than Dainite. I'm not crazy about the Ridgeway as I don't care for the profile and the bulk. I was considering the slim rubber soles that I already have on my Shanklin boot. It's a pretty flexible sole but I'm wondering if it would be too flexible for this particular boot.

Anyway, thank you in advance for your responses.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I'm not specifically familiar with the hides you're considering, though loden suede is self-explanatory, but I haven't seen the Juniper Antique Calf. And I needed to refresh my memory of the Galway model. Conveniently my search landed on a Galway in two-tone hides with a thin rubber sole. I think it looks great!

I very much like nice two-tone boots and think the loden suede versatile for complimenting a 2nd hide on the upper. Most uppers I've seen have been lighter hides in some shade of tan, and they look great. But since there's a strong tonal as well as color contrast they really "pop!" And that's fine if it's what you want, but for myself I think I'd prefer a lesser tonal contrast, such as in the version below. I.e., loden with not too light an upper leather.

As to the sole, I find it very handsome with a thinner rubber sole. But I don't know that I'd find it less so with Dainite. I think either would look very good on the boot, and believe it's purely an issue of personal preference. I purchased my first footwear with a Dainite sole this past autumn and feared it might be too thick or stiff, but I find it to be neither and to well compliment the chukkas on which it's used.

Frankly, I don't think there are any bad choices among those you're considering, and am sure you'll get a beautiful boot in either case!

Edit: Just looked up the Juniper Antique Calf, and am afraid it's not something I'd care for. The greenish tones in it are muddied to my eye, which makes it unappealing to me. And if you chose a loden shaft it becomes precarious because in effect you're harmonizing different greens. Near misses in the same color family can be particularly discordant.

My choice would be to pair loden with a hide similar to that for the upper of the boot above, or a more commonly used hide from the tan family.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t actually seen the juniper calf in person, only online.

I like the green on green but will want to see how the colors match up next to one another.

The dark oak and Loden sounds appealing as well.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I haven't actually seen the juniper calf in person, only online.

I like the green on green but will want to see how the colors match up next to one another.

The dark oak and Loden sounds appealing as well.
I don't care for the Juniper Antique Calf of itself, but that's just personal preference. Typically, when harmonizing two colors from the same family, you either wind up with a home run, or a foul ball.

And of course, loden can also be used to describe somewhat different shades. Leffot had Ron Rider do these, and I think they turned out rather nicely.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Found a couple more photos of the Galway.

These feature what I think is a loden shaft with an unknown color hide for the upper -

And these have what may be Juniper for the upper, but a somewhat odd composite cloth and leather shaft -

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I don’t know how I feel about juniper. Online it looks khaki with some green tones. It reminds me of some of the older AE bourbon shoes. Like you, if have to see it in person.

If you don’t like it there is always Dark Oak. As an aside, what transpired at these events? Do they have an EG rep with a bunch of models? Any special enticements like a waiver of the MTO fee?

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't know how I feel about juniper. Online it looks khaki with some green tones. It reminds me of some of the older AE bourbon shoes. Like you, if have to see it in person.

If you don't like it there is always Dark Oak. As an aside, what transpired at these events? Do they have an EG rep with a bunch of models? Any special enticements like a waiver of the MTO fee?
I've only seen the Juniper online as well. I'm going to want to see a sample swatch before pulling the trigger. I already have the Galway in dark oak with mink suede shaft.

I'll take a look and see how things look in person. I'm not married to the Juniper; I just thought it was interesting and I wanted something with green.

I've done MTO through EG before at Bergdorf. There's typically an EG rep there, once they even had a craftsman there sewing together the vamp to the rest of the uppers for the Dover. Interesting guy.

There was no waiver of the fee; it's an additional $300. It does come with lasted shoe trees and the you can choose various details and embellishments.

I believe any footwear currently offered by EG is available and the rep will typically bring some samples.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Curious, is the 88 last the only one available or are there different choices?
For the Galway? You can do that boot on many different lasts but it's most commonly done on the 82 and 202 lasts.

If I ever do a MTO Galway I would do a very casual one on the 72 last in mahogany country calf and a ridgeway sole, with Veldtschoen construction.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
For the Galway? You can do that boot on many different lasts but it's most commonly done on the 82 and 202 lasts.

If I ever do a MTO Galway I would do a very casual one on the 72 last in mahogany country calf and a ridgeway sole, with Veldtschoen construction.
Honestly, I meant 82 last and not 88 - my error. Nonetheless, just curious what kind of options are available. I have one pair of Galways with the 82 and probably would opt for something a bit different on a made to order just to be different.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I didn't realize that the construction method, too, could be specified with MTO.

I'm not keen on the storm welt. I realize it's functional but I've always preferred a sleeker profile.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I didn't realize that the construction method, too, could be specified with MTO.

I'm not keen on the storm welt. I realize it's functional but I've always preferred a sleeker profile.
Are you going to do 82 last or something else?

My one pair is on 202 but has no storm welt. It's nice though and I have no qualms wearing it with flannels and tweed.

They will do veldtschoen but only on the 72 and 64 lasts.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you going to do 82 last or something else?

My one pair is on 202 but has no storm welt. It's nice though and I have no qualms wearing it with flannels and tweed.

They will do veldtschoen but only on the 72 and 64 lasts.
I have one pair of Galways which are on the 82 last. They fit very well and I like the tapered toe. I'm thinking I will again go with the 82 last with either the kainite or flexible rubber sole.

·
2,973 Posts
Have you considered the Shannon? It is a somewhat dressier style Than the Galway.

I also prefer trim soles for dress boots, of which I have a few pairs.

I recently had a pair of EG oxfords resoled with their new rubber sole. These soles are virtually indistinguishable from single leather soles, and are proving serviceable in the rainy location where I now live. Should I succumb to the desire for a pair of EG Shannons, I will most likely order them with the dress rubber soles.

I hope this is useful.

Regards,
Gurdon

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you considered the Shannon? It is a somewhat dressier style Than the Galway.

I also prefer trim soles for dress boots, of which I have a few pairs.

I recently had a pair of EG oxfords resoled with their new rubber sole. These soles are virtually indistinguishable from single leather soles, and are proving serviceable in the rainy location where I now live. Should I succumb to the desire for a pair of EG Shannons, I will most likely order them with the dress rubber soles.

I hope this is useful.

Regards,
Gurdon
Thank you and yes I have. I'm not sure how I feel about the cap toe but I wouldn't mind seeing it in person and trying it on.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

Stopped in at Leffot today. The juniper calf is quite pretty. It’s green dark more of a dark olive.

I ordered the Galway (82 last) in Juniper with a Loden suede upper. An antique brown/natural midsole with a rubber sole.

Anticipated completion date of October but hopefully sooner. If not, just in time for the Fall.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Update:

Stopped in at Leffot today. The juniper calf is quite pretty. It's green dark more of a dark olive.

I ordered the Galway (82 last) in Juniper with a Loden suede upper. An antique brown/natural midsole with a rubber sole.

Anticipated completion date of October but hopefully sooner. If not, just in time for the Fall.
Should be magnificent! :beer:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.