Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm habitually a Half-Windsor man myself, although I usually have a devil of a time getting a suitable "dimple" in my tie under the knot.

The extra loop around in the Windsor usually leaves me an inch or so too short and I'm not generally patient enough to have more than one ot two goes.

And the Four-in-Hand, while utilitarian, foolproof and quick as a wink seems to say--with no offense intended--"I'm very young and I've just graduated from clip-ons."

I tend to prefer button-down dress shirts except with double breasted suits (which I have not worn since the 1980s.)

What are your ideas about expanding my tie vocabulary?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I usually tie a FIH and with a thinner tie, the Pratt.

The Windsor family is too symmetrical for my taste, although that is the reason some folks like them.

I am tempted to say that the Windsors say to me -- 'I am very young and I have just learned there is more than one way to knot a tie.' -- but, I won't say that.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'm becoming more partial to the half-windsor, myself. It looks a lot better than the FIH on a lot of my ties. Some ties just do not tie a good FIH.

BTW, if you're having trouble getting a dimple with the half-windsor, try forming the dimple below the knot before you pull it closed, then grab what will be the face of knot and pull it down over the dimple. You can do it more or less to fine-tune the length of the tie, too.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Now that I have to wear them again on a daily basis I move between FIH and a half Windsor.

There is one known as the Christensen which is very stylish IHO but a takes a bit of practice to get it right, the article I have about it describes that it first appeared in 1917 and it looks 'like woman's figure.':icon_smile_big:

I have noticed that are a variety of tutorials one can find on the web with videos and slide shows that demonstrate the correct procedures to tie a variety of knots.

"A well tied tie is the first serious step in life."Oscar Wilde

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Do you want to expand your tie vocabulary or your knot tying? You can visit Sam Hober for a tutorial, buy Andy's CD and discover the history of the modrn long tie, and what group of people started it's wearing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rarely wear ties, but when I do, I usually tie half-windsors with thinner ties, and Pratts w/thicker ones, and occasionally a FIH.

So long as I avoid the extremes of the fist-sized windsors one often sees, or the tight pinched-neck look of an overly-tight/thin FIH, I don't give it too much thought.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had a look at the Christensen. It's very nice--I'd call it a double FIH, I guess. KeithR, the Pratt is intriguing and perhaps better suited to my 6' 3" frame without having to buy extra long ties. Thank you all--further ideas and guidance will be appreciated.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Plattsburgh, half's-burgh, and the back's-burgh of course. half's and back's- burghs are small variations on the way to tie the Plattsburgh.
I have an aversion to any tie knot that begins with the tie seam facing out. It's a personal thing I'm trying to get over, hence my considering a Pratt knot to be a graduation of sorts.

Is my insistance that the necktie start "right" wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Half windsor for me - a) I like the symmetry and b) being only 5' 6", the FIH does not use up enough tie length for me. The half windsor seems to be the best compromise, the knot is still not huge and I can actually get the tie to finish at my beltline.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
And the Four-in-Hand, while utilitarian, foolproof and quick as a wink seems to say--with no offense intended--"I'm very young and I've just graduated from clip-ons."
I only wear point and button down collars so the FIH works just fine for me. In fact, it's the only knot I've tied for the past 30 or so years. If that tells people that I'm "very young", hey, as a retiree and grandfather that works for me. Now I just need to get that hair transplant to go with my FIH--- :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The knot you wear depends on the blade width and ....

tie thickness. For 3-3/4 to 4 inches, the FIH is the preferred knot. For 3 to 3-1/2 inches the symertical half windsor is preferred (I have heard it called the Shelby), For ties under 3 inches, the full windsor can be used (or for extremely thin materials). I have some art deco ties which work well with the full wndsor,

·
Registered
316 Posts
the Pratt is intriguing and perhaps better suited to my 6' 3" frame without having to buy extra long ties.
I'm 6'3" with a long torso. The Pratt saved my "regular-length" tie collection. Before I discovered the Pratt, I had to scotch tape the tail of the tie because it didn't reach the loop. I now use the Pratt knot for almost every tie I own. It uses less fabric than the FIH or Half-Windsor.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.