Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Ebay, I have a wardobe that I have absolutely no business owning. I know many of you also buy clothes on Ebay so I'm wondering what are your favorite searches? Lately I've been searchinig and bidding on BB sweaters and outerwear. I started well before the weather changed and was able to pick up lots of great sweaters at ridiculously low prices. I've also been actively seeking old school v-cleat Florsheim longwings, but haven't found any in my size yet.

When I'm not searching for clothes, I like to search for Chris Crafts - the ones from the 60s and 70s. If you like classic boats those are about as good as it gets. My grandparents had a CC cabin cruiser (either a Constellation or Commander) when I was a kid so there's a bit of nostalgia involved for me as well.

So, what are your favorites searches? I could use some new ideas...

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Figuring out vintage names/brands is essential to find some really interesting stuff. Most of my searches are for shoes and are characterized by what I use the "-" function to exclude, such as:

-boots -white -rubber -sneakers -sandals -thongs -flip -flops

...etc, etc.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'll post up some of mine. Now that I'm a law student, I don't the time or the money to look for clothes on eBay. These search strings are definitely not perfect, but they might be a good starting point for people who are just starting out with saved searches.

One note, all of these searches are done in both the title and the description of the listing, not just the title.

(baracuta, barracuta, barracuda, g-9, g9, harrington, baracuda) 38 -seagate
replace the 38 for your size

8.5 (alden,allen edmonds,highlander,nettleton,ralph lauren,grenson,stuart,lobb,trickers,tricker's,cheaney,lingwood,wildsmith,peal,testoni,carmina,yanko,vass,crispins,dinkelacker,santoni,edward green,crockett,weston,mantellassi,paraboot)
Again, replace 8.5 with your size. This setup is definitely less-than-perfect. The other option would be to remove 8.5 from the search and use it as one of the limits on the actual eBay site. The true eBay professional probably runs both searches.

aristocraft -lingerie -gown -slip -robe
Made-in-USA Aristocrafts are a pretty good eBay value and they *always* slip under the radar. This listing takes a bit of time to sort through, though.

ralph lauren (italy, italian, england, uk, usa, "blue label") -Jessreidad -chaps -shorts
The idea here is to find the Corneliani items for Ralph Lauren. When I do this search, I sort by price from low to high to see if anyone listed any Corneliani items at .01 with no reserve. Usually good deals to be found with this search.

("ben silver", "J press", "andover shop", "h stockton", reichardts, chipp, "winston tailors", "cable car clothiers", "colonel littleton", "carroll and company", "carroll and co", "h. freeman", "grass court") -boots -boot
My catch-all "trad" search. This one definitely needs some work.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Ok, I'll give one away, only because it's so simple.

brooks -(dunn, garth, abercrombie)
Since people sell BB items under both "Brooks Brothers" and "Brooks Bros," this catches both. This search eliminates Brooks & Dunn items, Garth Brooks items, and a line of Abercrombie & Fitch stuff called "Brooks." Depending on what I'm searching for, I'll add something to the negative field. With shirts, for example, I include "non" to weed out the non-iron stuff. Pants, I include "pleats" and "pleated." For outerwear, I've got to add a bunch to get rid of all the leather motorcycle jackets.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to this thread I've learned you can do "negative searches" on Ebay. I had no idea that I did not have to suffer through countless garth brooks and brooks and dunn t-shirts as I was looking for the good stuff.

But my intent with the post was really just to get some new ideas on stuff to look for on Ebay. I'm getting bored with the same old things.

Awhile back I discovered SPY prints and was able to score a few nice ones on Ebay for cheap.

So back to the original idea, what do you find yourself looking for on Ebay?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I don't look for much other than clothing, because I don't currently have the cash nor the space to be purchasing just more stuff and because I haven't done the research to be able to distinguish the authentic stuff from the fakes and reproductions. On occasion I've thumbed through old Audobon prints, but not much more than that.

Every so often I'll do a blanket search for "brooks brothers" and "brooks bros" and check out everything but the clothing. Brings up some interesting stuff sometimes, like this and this .

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yes. A $700 suit for $50 makes me think something must be wrong with it, even considering it is used.
Not usually the case. For one, many sellers on eBay are just trying to get rid of stuff they don't want anymore, or are reselling things they purchased at estate sales and thrift stores, so they don't have to charge a lot--not to mention a lack of overhead. Also, most buyers on eBay are looking for a deal (that's why they're on eBay, after all), and the sellers know that, so they're not going to get by with selling stuff for too much above a decent second-hand price.

You've got to realize that clothing, like cars, depreciates in value very quickly. And the $700 suits usually go for more than $50--more like $100 or $150, or even more if they're recent offerings. But I have purchased two fine BB blazers for a total of $40 shipped, I believe. One has a slight flaw in the fabric, but nothing that would make it worth only $25 considering its age. The other is an older 3-patch-pocket model that I got for $15 shipped. A few months before I purchased it I bid on and lost an identical blazer that went for over $60. Just a matter of timing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes. A $700 suit for $50 makes me think something must be wrong with it, even considering it is used.
Not many people are willing to drop a lot of cash on used clothes. Most sellers have fairly low opening bids. Ebay suits that start with high opening bids don't tend to attract many bidders.

I've gotten some really amazing deals on ebay. I have an Oxxford suit that I picked up for about $40. For some reason no one else bid on it and I got really lucky.

Early on, when I first started ebaying I found that I would bid really high on things and probably pay more than I should have. Inevitably I'd see a similar item sell for less sometime later. What I've learned is that there are very few truly unique items on ebay. Chances are you're going to find what you're currently looking at again, so don't bid as though you won't have another opportunity. My approach today is to bid low on many items and see if I get lucky on a few. By that I mean that often I will be the first bidder and will bid just a few dollars higher than the opening bid. Often, I get lucky and get a heck of a bargain. If I lose, chances are I'll see the same or a similar item again in the future.

Also - even on ebay it pays to shop out of season. If you want a Burberry's overcoat, start looking well before fall.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Also - even on ebay it pays to shop out of season. If you want a Burberry's overcoat, start looking well before fall.
If you can find stuff out of season, that is. Most sellers realize that people aren't looking to load up on sweaters in July, so you generally don't start seeing them until it begins to cool off. And you're not going to find much in the way of madras this time of year. There are exceptions, of course, and you can generally get a good deal when you find those exceptions, but your choices are considerably limited by shopping eBay out of season.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
So, what are your favorites searches? I could use some new ideas...
I don't tend to do too much clothes shopping on eBay, so the two things I look for most are:

Black Starr Frost Sterling -genealogy. After watching Moulin Rouge! and wondering why they dropped the name Black, Starr and Frost - Gorham from the song "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend," I researched the company and started buying silver pieces from the 1875-1925 period. I never pay over $150.

Neiman Marcus Christmas. I have their Christmas books going back to 1959, including every one from 1968 onwards. For the recent ones I go to the store promptly and get one without an address label on it. I expect I'll have to pay $50 or more for the ones I still need to fill the gaps, and over $100 for the older ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.