Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hmm...Kent Nagano, Michael Tilson Thomas, Leonard Bernstein, Jascha Horenstein, Valery Gergiev, Thomas Beecham in his core repertory..I'm sure I'll think of dozens of others.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My favorite conductor was Russ Balphany. He worked nos. 9&8 between Milwaukee and The Twin Cities. He taught me about stiff collars back in the '70s.

Oh. Wait a minute. You didn't mean that type of conductor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The technically most varied and able i've ever seen is vladimir jurowski. Although when a friend of mine interviewed him for an LPO concert he said that he doesn't really emotionally involve himself in the performance and dosn't 'feel anything' as such, which really surprised me and somehow put me off a little. Sort of the opposite to Gergiev

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hardly ever to go to Concerts...

and since Old is better than New: The Favorite is likely Furtwanger, though I used to like Haitink when the recordings were new. Solti's Mozart Operas; Tennstedt's Mahler; Toscanini's whatever... some of my favorite things. One can't choose on the radio, so it just keeps flowing like oxygen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Arthur Fiedler Gives Good Concert

Mom and Dad took me to a Pops Concert. I had a great time. But I couldn't admit this to my music-snob college friends. "You're not the sort of person who actually listens to Tchaikovsky, are you?!"

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Wasn't He Something? And that hall! Perhaps everything ISN'T beautiful at the Ballet, though the Ballet is certainly beautiful at the Academy of Music.
If I hadn't moved to Georgia after my sophomore year of high school, I was hoping to join our elite choral group that performed there every year. Oh well, missed opportunities...

I saw the ballet once at the Academy of Music, but I was far too young to enjoy it. I can't imagine who gave us the tickets, because I went with my grandparents, who were the exact opposite of the "musical families" that performing artists tend to say they grew up in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ormandy's conducting suffered a lot of criticizm in his later years, especially by the players. But if you listen those old recordings, you realize how well the orchestra played under him. Given how they play now, Ormandy is looking better and better.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
and since Old is better than New: The Favorite is likely Furtwanger, though I used to like Haitink when the recordings were new. Solti's Mozart Operas; Tennstedt's Mahler; Toscanini's whatever... some of my favorite things. One can't choose on the radio, so it just keeps flowing like oxygen.
I heard Haitink and the Vienna do Bruckner's Eighth at Carnegie about four years ago and both the conductor and the orchestra were incredibly great. One continuous movement, no intermission, about 87 minutes, it was a not-to-be-forgotten experience. Haitink is still great.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.