Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying tickets to a handful of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra concerts this spring and am just wondering who your favorite composers are. Any specific symphonies or concertos would be welcome also.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very difficult to match favorite composers with concert schedules. Whereas my favorite composers are the three "Bs" Beethoven, Bach and Brahams, I don't hear more than one piece by any of the three a season. No, I tell a lie, I think there's at least two of them represented in a given season, but that doesn't make the concerts less worthwhile.

Better to tell us what's on the schedule for the season, and perhaps comments could be elicited.

I am too tired tonight to check the Baltimore calendar myself, perhaps another night.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mahler if the 2nd or 3rd is on the menu they are a must see.

Bartok. Mozart.

I guess it depends upon two things level of stimulation you want in an affective manner. And above all learn to appreciate what your experiencing it goes beyond the intellect, to fully appreciate classical ( and for that matter any music ) learn the art of listening. Aside from that try and pick up a CD of the work your planing to see/hear.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Mahler if the 2nd or 3rd is on the menu they are a must see.

Bartok. Mozart.

I guess it depends upon two things level of stimulation you want in an affective manner. And above all learn to appreciate what your experiencing it goes beyond the intellect, to fully appreciate classical ( and for that matter any music ) learn the art of listening. Aside from that try and pick up a CD of the work your planing to see/hear.
Not a lot of orchestras are are up to performing Mahler. I think it's a good idea to try to match your favorites to an orchestra's ability to perform them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mahler is definitely a good bet, particularily his first "Titan" symphony. I am not sure I would recommend Bartok if you aren't that into classical music yet, because his stuff can be hard to listen to at times. But definitely anything by the 3 B's would be great. And anything Mozart that is in minor is a great bet too. Just look to see on the schedules for like Symphony in Whatever minor. etc. I think it's cool to see people on AAAC are interested in classical music!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Probably too many to list them all as almost every composer of some relevance wrote some good music and even some obscure ones have written good music.
Still, I would say George Frideric Haendel is my favourite composer.
Yours,

Phileas Fogg

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
My hands-down, desert island favorite is Bach. Talk about a force of nature!

After that it comes down to mood, but looking at my collection I see tons of Chopin, Brahms, Mozart and Schubert. I've always loved the playfulness of Mendelsohn and Saint-Saens, and if I'm in a grand mood Tchaikovsky and Mahler.

I like the delicacy of Faure and Lully.

I could go on, but that's the off-hand core.

D.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Mark - Hillary Hahn is playing with the BSO this Saturday - don't miss her.

In addition, they have some superb programs coming up for the 2009-2010 season, so check them out. They include an all Gershwin program in Nov., and a Feb Beethoven / Mozart program among others. Their programing for this season has some real gems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Marin Alsop's strengths lie in late Romantic and Modern music. Check out her Brahms especially. Her concerts are perfect for neophytes because she's very comfortable with talking to the audience, making them feel comfortable and helping them understand the music she's about to conduct. She's a dynamic conductor and musician.

As for branching out in classical music, I would take one piece or composer you already like and create a Pandora station for it. See if you like the selections that Pandora comes up with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are browsing a schedule, I would first scan the concerto selections. If you see a seminal work for a particular instrument (i.e. Dvorak cello concerto, the Tchaikovsky violin concerto, Bartok viola concerto…) I would highly recommend attending the show.

In terms of specific composers, I always enjoy Brahms, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Prokofiev, Mahler…

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.