Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Touch it against your lower lip. If it's distinctly cold to the touch - real MOP, otherwise its not.
Thanks!!Unfortunately,it's fake.I called the company's after hours line and told them in no uncertain terms that they would refund every cent,including shipping,of sourse they told me in no uncertain terms that they don't do refunds.So I have an addendeum-Can you tell real MOP from fake just by looking at it?The way I see it,I paid for them,I might as well get some use out of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another way of testing is to tap the MOP gently against a front tooth. (I've just tried this in the office but thankfully I don't think anyone saw).

If the stud is MOP it will feel like stone or glass, whereas synthetic will feel like plastic. The difference is quite clear, as you'll see if you do compare it with a plastic shirt button.

If the studs are fake MOP, then on principle I think you should make the vendor give you a refund. Saying "We don't do refunds" in response to a mis-represented sale isn't OK at all.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm curious how the article was presented. There is a difference between "mother of pearl shirt studs", and "REAL mother of pearl shirt studs". I generally find that if a company does not specify that something is REAL or GENUINE, than it's most likely not.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If you purchased them using a credit card, then you can, in fact, get a refund. If you used an American Express card, you're particularly well-protected.

Just call your credit card company and explain the problem. They will do a chargeback, and your account will be credited.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you purchased them using a credit card, then you can, in fact, get a refund. If you used an American Express card, you're particularly well-protected.

Just call your credit card company and explain the problem. They will do a chargeback, and your account will be credited.
I called my card company,and within 10 minutes everything was taken care of.I got everything back,even got to keep the studs,which I think I might use with my ivory DJ,since apperantly it's hard to tell faux from real without touching them.:icon_smile:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I called my card company,and within 10 minutes everything was taken care of.I got everything back,even got to keep the studs,which I think I might use with my ivory DJ,since apperantly it's hard to tell faux from real without touching them.:icon_smile:
Happy for you that you got your money back, but why are you keeping the stud set? You didn't pay for them; they weren't what you had believed that you had ordered.

Nonetheless, you'll use them, faux or genuine, if you don't have to pay for them?

Regards,

harrycoverts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Happy for you that you got your money back, but why are you keeping the stud set? You didn't pay for them; they weren't what you had believed that you had ordered.

Nonetheless, you'll use them, faux or genuine, if you don't have to pay for them?

Regards,

harrycoverts
I was going to send them back,but the people said just to keep them.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm glad it worked out for you.

It was very sporting of the vendor to allow you to keep them. It shows that, when push came to shove, they did not want to irritate you or the credit card processing service.

Of course, it also shows that the studs are probably very cheap.

But if they gave them to you, then you may as well wear them.

I do not think that keeping them is wrong. They sold them to you under false pretenses, and you called them on it. They are not what you ordered or what you paid for, but that does not make them unwearable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.