Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I was up in town today. The blinds are down. And looking through the door, the rails have been emptied, and things are piled in/on boxes on the floor.

They could be refurbishing.

Leon

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
I have not had a chance to speak with Peter Harvey since he completed a quite splendid jacket for me last month. However, being a longstanding customer of that firm, I would like to offer some thoughts on Fallan & Harvey's commitment to quality and customer service. F&H has been one of the finest of Savile Row tailors for some three decades now, yet has received very little public attention. So pehaps some discussion is in order.

Over the years, F&H have made more garments for me than I care to admit and I've yet to encounter even the smallest problem in terms of quality, fit, or styling (though I do recall a time that Keith Fallan noticed something that he didn't think was quite right on a finished dinner jacket he was delivering to me in Washington and pulled out needle and thread to make the adjustment on the spot).

I honestly do not know about clothing they have made for others (the only other Fallan & Harvey customer with whom I have ever talked about their work was the late Bobby Short) so I can only tell you about the items they have made for me. My own taste is rather straightfoward. I first look for fit and comfort in my clothes, quality of workmanship and attention to detail, and prefer a somewhat understated -- though I hope modestly elegant -- style. Some might say that I am a tad conservative in my tastes. My goal has always been for people to remember me, not my suit. I am not particularly difficult to fit, though my size -- 5'6" and 140 pounds -- has a bit of a bearing on the lines and drape that look most appropriate on me. Keith Fallan clearly understood my preferences and had a wonderful sense of how best to translate them into lovely and lasting clothes. My suits happen to all be double-breasted, are rather slim-fitting, gently tapered and shaped, with just a tad of firmness. I have yet to be disappointed in a single garment...whether it be a suit, a sportscoat, or a pair of odd trousers. Moreover, virtually every item they have crafted for me is still part of my regular wardrobe. I have had some experience with other Savile Row tailors, and quite frankly, have yet to find another that has matched F&H craftsmanship and quality.

Located in Sackville Street, the firm has now been around for thirty years or so. It was founded by Keith Fallan (who had apprenticed at Huntsman and learned cutting at Wealeson and Leagate) and his Wealeson collegue, Peter Harvey. It has generally catered to a younger, American constituency which favored British elegance without the more dramatic flair and/or military bearing of some other tailors. Throughout much of its existence, Keith Fallan personified the company -- crisscrossing the Atlantic, bringing with him not only swatches of fabric and half-finished garments, but an easygoing charm and personal style that generated as many friendships as customers. Sadly, Keith Fallan passed away a few years back at far, far too young an age....and I lost more than a tailor. I lost a friend. I did not know Peter Harvey terribly well at the time as it was always Keith who journeyed to visit his American clients. I have subsequently spent more time with Peter and have found him very personable, knowledgable and professional...and I have seen no change in the quality or appearance of the clothes that Fallan & Harvey makes today compared to the past.

In terms of customer service, I have only the highest of compliments. They have been exemplary. One example: The courier service Fallan & Harvey once used either misdelivered a finished suit or left it unattended on my Washington, DC doorstep. In any case, it vanished. Peter Harvey immediately made me a replacement, no charge of course and no questions asked.

Fallan & Harvey is a relatively small enterprise, has never ventured onto the Internet, nor is it very agressive in its marketing. Its garments have -- to my mind at least -- been very reasonable priced at the more modest end of the Savile Row cost spectrum. In addition to their UK and US customer base, I believe that they have an established presence in Japan as well. I have always thought F&H one of the great -- though lesser known -- SR treasures. As you can tell, I have been quite pleased with this firm and only wish it the best!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Medwards,

I have used Fallen & Harvey a few times and agree with you 100%. I was first introduced to Keith Fallen years ago by Mr Glasgow at Cleverley in San Fran. Since then I have had several pieces made over the years and have found them to be wonderful. Again, I agree with the customer service.

I hope to see Peter around for many years to come.........

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok.

It would be interesting to know more.

- What happened exactly?

- Is Fallan & Harvey bankrupt or was it just "taken over" by Davis & Sons?

- If this is the case, what happens to the deposits made to Fallan & Harvey?

Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be interesting to hear from others, besides Medwards, as why they use F&H besides the fact that they travel to their city a few times a year
I have used them for years. Peter is a really great guy and as always done what he has said in the past. As for the suits themselves, they have lasted the test of time and I always get compliments. I recently had a jacket finished, which turned out great. Fallen & Harvey have a large selection of different fabrics and linings which I also like, as selection is key for me. Their cut is also nice and allows you to move easy in it.

One thing that is difficult, is Fallen & Harvey only visit Los Angeles once a year.

I also love Anderson & Sheppard, who visit San Fran. My wife and I tend to make a weekend trip of it when they are in SF. Always fun......

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have used them for years. Peter is a really great guy and as always done what he has said in the past. As for the suits themselves, they have lasted the test of time and I always get compliments. I recently had a jacket finished, which turned out great. Fallen & Harvey have a large selection of different fabrics and linings which I also like, as selection is key for me. Their cut is also nice and allows you to move easy in it.

One thing that is difficult, is Fallen & Harvey only visit Los Angeles once a year.

I also love Anderson & Sheppard, who visit San Fran. My wife and I tend to make a weekend trip of it when they are in SF. Always fun......
I too would like to know the price points for a suit, jacket and trousers. Being in LA I rarely ever get the chance to go to London and would like to move toward bespoke. I also go to SF a few times a year and would consider doing the same as you and your wife.

·
Registered
415 Posts
TonyP...please do go to San Francisco...unless it is to do a pilgrimage to Will's closet

Will, how many fittings were needed for your 1st F&H suit before you felt comfortable...was the LL Triple Overcheck the guinea pig or was it another cloth?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Peter uses the standard SR visiting tailor formula and when you have a good tailor (as he is) that's all you should need. In other words, measurement and two fittings for the first suit. Measurement and one fitting thereafter, however he brings my stuff with him so we both have a look at it before it goes into my closet.

The LL check was not the first thing he's made for me.

I suggest that interested parties ask the company for pricing as Davies may be different than F&H were for new orders.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have not had a chance to speak with Peter Harvey since he completed a quite splendid jacket for me last month. However, being a longstanding customer of that firm, I would like to offer some thoughts on Fallan & Harvey's commitment to quality and customer service. F&H has been one of the finest of Savile Row tailors for some three decades now, yet has received very little public attention. So pehaps some discussion is in order.

Over the years, F&H have made more garments for me than I care to admit and I've yet to encounter even the smallest problem in terms of quality, fit, or styling (though I do recall a time that Keith Fallan noticed something that he didn't think was quite right on a finished dinner jacket he was delivering to me in Washington and pulled out needle and thread to make the adjustment on the spot).

I honestly do not know about clothing they have made for others (the only other Fallan & Harvey customer with whom I have ever talked about their work was the late Bobby Short) so I can only tell you about the items they have made for me. My own taste is rather straightfoward. I first look for fit and comfort in my clothes, quality of workmanship and attention to detail, and prefer a somewhat understated -- though I hope modestly elegant -- style. Some might say that I am a tad conservative in my tastes. My goal has always been for people to remember me, not my suit. I am not particularly difficult to fit, though my size -- 5'6" and 140 pounds -- has a bit of a bearing on the lines and drape that look most appropriate on me. Keith Fallan clearly understood my preferences and had a wonderful sense of how best to translate them into lovely and lasting clothes. My suits happen to all be double-breasted, are rather slim-fitting, gently tapered and shaped, with just a tad of firmness. I have yet to be disappointed in a single garment...whether it be a suit, a sportscoat, or a pair of odd trousers. Moreover, virtually every item they have crafted for me is still part of my regular wardrobe. I have had some experience with other Savile Row tailors, and quite frankly, have yet to find another that has matched F&H craftsmanship and quality.

Located in Sackville Street, the firm has now been around for thirty years or so. It was founded by Keith Fallan (who had apprenticed at Huntsman and learned cutting at Wealeson and Leagate) and his Wealeson collegue, Peter Harvey. It has generally catered to a younger, American constituency which favored British elegance without the more dramatic flair and/or military bearing of some other tailors. Throughout much of its existence, Keith Fallan personified the company -- crisscrossing the Atlantic, bringing with him not only swatches of fabric and half-finished garments, but an easygoing charm and personal style that generated as many friendships as customers. Sadly, Keith Fallan passed away a few years back at far, far too young an age....and I lost more than a tailor. I lost a friend. I did not know Peter Harvey terribly well at the time as it was always Keith who journeyed to visit his American clients. I have subsequently spent more time with Peter and have found him very personable, knowledgable and professional...and I have seen no change in the quality or appearance of the clothes that Fallan & Harvey makes today compared to the past.

In terms of customer service, I have only the highest of compliments. They have been exemplary. One example: The courier service Fallan & Harvey once used either misdelivered a finished suit or left it unattended on my Washington, DC doorstep. In any case, it vanished. Peter Harvey immediately made me a replacement, no charge of course and no questions asked.

Fallan & Harvey is a relatively small enterprise, has never ventured onto the Internet, nor is it very agressive in its marketing. Its garments have -- to my mind at least -- been very reasonable priced at the more modest end of the Savile Row cost spectrum. In addition to their UK and US customer base, I believe that they have an established presence in Japan as well. I have always thought F&H one of the great -- though lesser known -- SR treasures. As you can tell, I have been quite pleased with this firm and only wish it the best!
Come on, show us a picture then. ;)

Used to work with Ian Fallen by the way, he was a character!

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Used to work with Ian Fallen by the way, he was a character!
When he was with Kilgour? By the way, Ian was helping out occasionally at Fallan & Harvey a year or two ago...just a day or two a week, particularly to help in Dino Carnera's development. Mr Carnera (the son of Cleverley's John Carnera), subsequently went over to Huntsman.

I should add that I have had some experience with Davies as well. It has certainly acquired a number of venerable names though all that is really left of most of those firms is precisely that, a name on a letterhead. While there is still an effort to meet specific customer requests, most of those former house styles have subsequently merged into a more universal Davies look. It is not terribly different than that of Fallan & Harvey: a classic silhouette perhaps a little bit more closely fitted and structured...but Davies certainly is flexible and could meet most customer's needs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.