Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous post on another thread, sam noted: "Speaking of which, I'm really interested to find out more about Fallan and Harvey. I did a search on them on the web but found nothing. They don't have a website, and there's not much written here about them. Maybe we should start a new topic on them in this forum. I'd love to find out more about them. They sound like a class act with a style, based on Scott's pictures, that matches my taste."

I have been a longstanding customer of Fallan & Harvey's and can certainly attest to their craftsmanship and their commitment to service. Over the years, they have made more garments for me than I care to admit and I've yet to encounter even the smallest problem in terms of quality, fit, or styling (though I do recall a time that Keith Fallan noticed something that he didn't think was quite right on a finished tuxedo he was delivering to me in Washington and pulled out needle and thread to make the adjustment on the spot).

Located in Sackville Street, the firm is not terribly old...at least not in Savile Row terms....perhaps thirty years or so. It was founded by Keith Fallan (who had apprenticed at Huntsman and learned cutting at Wealeson and Leagate) and his Wealeson collegue, Peter Harvey. It has generally catered to a younger, American constituency which favored British elegance without the more dramatic flair and/or military bearing of some other tailors. Throughout much of its existence, Keith Fallan personified the company -- crisscrossing the Atlantic, bringing with him not only swatches of fabric and half-finished garments, but an easygoing charm and personal style that generated as many friendships as customers.

I don't know about clothing they have made for others; I know no other Fallan & Harvey customers. I can only tell you about the items they have made for me. My own taste is rather straightfoward. I first look for fit and comfort in my clothes, quality of workmanship and attention to detail, and prefer a somewhat understated -- though I hope modestly elegant -- style. Some might say that I am a tad conservative in my tastes (though they obviously don't know about the turquoise and lavendar coat I had made on Carnaby Street while still at University in the the 1960's...something I would rather forget as well). My goal has always been for people to remember me, not my suit. I am not particularly difficult to fit, though my size -- 5'6" and 130 pounds -- has a bit of a bearing on the lines and drape that look most appropriate on me. Keith clearly understood my preferences and had a wonderful sense of how best to translate them into lovely and lasting clothes. My suits are rather slim-fitting, gently tapered and shaped, with just a tad of firmness. I have yet to be disappointed in a single garment...whether it be a suit, a tuxedo, a sportscoat, or a pair of odd trousers.

It appears that others share my regard. Elsewhere on this Forum manton notes that he has "known people who rave about Fallan, and say that they've never encountered hand-stitching quite that good on an English coat" while darren suggests that the photograph of a Fallan & Harvey suit, among others, is a "classic example of top notch Savile Row tailoring."

Sadly, Keith Fallan passed away not long ago at far, far too young an age....and I lost more than a tailor. I lost a friend. I honestly can't say what Keith's passing has meant or will mean to the enterprise. I do not know Peter Harvey terribly well as it was always Keith who journeyed to visit his American clients, but I certainly have found him very personable, knowledgable and professional. I would be interested in others' thoughts and experiences.

Sam, I hope this helps.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.