Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was curious to know when you get your suit jacket sleeve shorten do you have your tailor put new fake button hole stitching next to your buttons, have him do real button holes, or just leave it plain (4 buttons but no fake button hole stitching)?

Also whats your take on just having buttons on the sleeves and no stitching next to them? I would think it would not matter cause why put fake button holes next to them to begin with. That is if real holes are not an option. Is that a sign of a low quality suit? Or just personal taste?

If need to know, the suits are Canali and Corneliani.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
To answer your original question, I see no reason to have your tailor either add "fake" stitching (I think the reason why is contained right there) or working buttonholes. If the coat came with buttons attached, chances are that adding working buttonholes will require a lot of labor and a lot of cost to you. I personally simply have the buttons put back, no fake stitching or working buttonholes.
I like the look of real working button holes but like said before, the suit must be preped for that. On dark color suits I would not think it would matter if you had fake or no button holes since most would not be able to see them anyway. Personal taste. When I see the fake holes on my suits, I sorta cringe about adding them back and rather get working holes or nothing at all (just add buttons back with no side stitching). To me its like having a cheap suit and adding Brioni tags to the inside or having a chevy sub and adding an escalade body kit to it. Just not right.

But I asked this question because I wanted your opinions on what you like and thought of just having buttons on suit sleeves.

On another note, if my suit was in tier 1 like Isaia, Brioni etc I would not hesitate to having working holes only. But for everyday suits like Canali, HF, MV then I would prob just have my tailor replace the buttons and tear out the stitching and put back plain buttons but add better ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts