Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE...

George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years.
The first six the economy was fine.
A little over one year ago:
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) the unemployment rate was 4.5%.
4) the DOW JONES hit a record high--14,000 +
5) American's were buying new cars,taking cruises, vacations overseas, living large!...

But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democrat Congress and yes--we got 'CHANGE' all right. In the PAST YEAR:
1) Consumer confidence has plummeted ;
2) Gasoline is now over $4 a gallon & climbing!;
3) Unemployment is up to 5.5% (a 10% increase);
4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION DOLLARS and prices still dropping;
5) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
6) as I write, THE DOW is probing another low~~

$2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIOS!

YES, IN 2006 AMERICA VOTED FOR CHANGE...AND WE SURE GOT IT! ....

REMEMBER THE PRESIDENT HAS NO CONTROL OVER ANY OF THESE ISSUES, ONLY CONGRESS.

AND WHAT HAS CONGRESS DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, BUT *****!

NOW THE DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT CLAIMS HE IS GOING TO REALLY GIVE US CHANGE ALONG WITH A DEMOCRAT CONGRESS!!!!

HOW MUCH MORE 'CHANGE' DO YOU WANT?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Well, we have been pouring quite a bit of money into the war.

What exactly was/is/will be the purpose of conquering Iraq? Inflated egos?
I haven't checked in a while, but I think Dick Cheney's Portfolio is doing well, as is his former employ, Halliburton.

Anyway, I don't think Congress can be to blame...you say it yourself, they've done nothing.

But whatever you have to do to blame the left...go for it, if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

5) American's were buying new cars,taking cruises, vacations overseas, living large!...

But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democrat Congress and yes--we got 'CHANGE' all right. In the PAST YEAR:
4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION DOLLARS and prices still dropping;

$2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIOS!

AND WHAT HAS CONGRESS DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, BUT *****!

NOW THE DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT CLAIMS HE IS GOING TO REALLY GIVE US CHANGE ALONG WITH A DEMOCRAT CONGRESS!!!!

I'd be curoius to see those statistics when compared to the same in 1998, or even January 19, 2001, under a Democratic White House (and I believe Congress). Will those still encourage folks to vote Conservative?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
But whatever you have to do to blame the left...go for it, if it makes you feel better.
Actually I think there is enough blame to go around on both the left and the right. Part of the reason we are in the situation we are in is because all both sides do is point fingers, blame, and try to win at all costs.

I'm beginning to think that the only folks who really care about the welfare of the country are those in the middle who do not allow themselves to drift too far to the left or the right. I think many Americans are getting fed up with the extremists on both sides. I know that I am.

Cruiser

·
Registered
148 Posts

A bit far fetched.

Remember we have a system of checks and balances. The democrats do not have a veto proof majority in either the house or the senate. Bush could easily veto and has vetoed a number of bills that he didn't like since the elections in 2006.

The run up of the Dow now appears to have been largely fueled by the economic crisis that we are now seeing. The mortgages and derivatives from them seem to be at the root of our problems today. To say that somehow the democrats are at fault for the circumstances that we find ourselves in today shows a lack of understanding. There's plenty of blame to go around to both parties. Pretty much any member of congress who's been around since 1980 or so has witnessed the systematic deregulation of our financial institutions to the point that we've had a series of corporate and fiscal scandals.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd be curoius to see those statistics when compared to the same in 1998, or even January 19, 2001, under a Democratic White House (and I believe Congress). Will those still encourage folks to vote Conservative?
Things were going downhill until 1994, when the Republicans captured Congress, stopped Bill Clinton's programs, and turned the economy around. We went into one of the biggest economic booms at that point, which managed to persist even after 9/11 and having to engage in the War on Terror. The economy started cratering in 2007 after the Democrats took over, basically stopped everything, and began focusing all their efforts on attacking and destroying the Bush administration and trying to engineer defeat in Iraq.

Remember their "100 Days" program? Did they ever do a single thing they promised? No.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I think there is some validity to the OP. The Dems love to make these logical leaps and link Bush to every single problem facing the country. One would think that before 2000 the birds were singing, the air was clean, hurricanes didn't exist, there were no terrorists, and there were no potholes. I don't see why there is not some validity to this.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Here's another interesting .

·
Registered
475 Posts
The roots of the economic problems we're having now can be traced back to the Carter Administration when the Community Reinvestment Act (AKA, the "Communist Redistribution Act") was passed.
Then, in 1995, Clinton authorized a new subprime, igniting the entire problem we have now. It's all very complicated and would take hours to explain on here.

Edit: the video that Beresford posted a link to is pretty good at explaining it all.

·
Registered
507 Posts
a few thoughts. i'm sure none of the following have ANYTHING to do with our current situation

1) skewed tax policies
2) $600,000,000,000+ spent in Iraq
3) no energy policy
4) lax or non existent financial regulations
5) greenspan lowering interest rates to 1%
6) the dollar in the toilet

·
Honors Member<br>P-Bomb
7,066 Posts
a few thoughts. i'm sure none of the following have ANYTHING to do with our current situation

1) skewed tax policies
2) $600,000,000,000+ spent in Iraq
3) no energy policy
4) lax or non existent financial regulations
5) greenspan lowering interest rates to 1%
6) the dollar in the toilet
If only all these things were a) true or b) pertinent to the administration, or c) under the total control of the administration.

I mean, take your "thoughts" on 4. Can you tell me what POTUS exactly signed the legislation that undid Glass-Stengall and legally armed "community organizers" to force lending institutions to give loans to people that did not qualify? Now, did it have something to do with the current situation? Yes. Does it have something to do with this administration? I will leave you to figure that out.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What is missing from the discussion such as it is is the amount of money spent on "defense" and the opportunity cost it entails. For fiscal 2008 the official DOD budget is over $650,000,000,000.00, more than all other nations on earth combined by most estimates. But the real figure for US "defense" spending in 2008 is closer to a trillion dollars and that is a very conservative calculation as trying to figure out exactly how much is being spent on such things has been made deliberately difficult. What is certain is that all this money is being spent on things that are not the rest of the economy or health care or infrastructure improvements or just about anything else one can name.

The truly frightening thing is that all this is borrowed money.

And where did this start? With the administration of Harry Truman. No president or administration since has been able or willing to challenge the "military-industrial complex" we were warned about by President Eisenhower, a man of such experience and place to know exactly what he was talking about.

To be sure, the current administration is blameworthy for many things to an unprecedented degree but they hardly started this damnable system. They're merely pretty good at gaming it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The roots of the economic problems we're having now can be traced back to the Carter Administration when the Community Reinvestment Act (AKA, the "Communist Redistribution Act") was passed.
Then, in 1995, Clinton authorized a new subprime, igniting the entire problem we have now. It's all very complicated and would take hours to explain on here.

Edit: the video that Beresford posted a link to is pretty good at explaining it all.
The roots of the problem can be traced back to the creation of the Federal Reserve System and the abandonment of the gold standard under Nixon. We have been issuing worthless money for years, and with nothing to peg it to, the government has just been printing more and more of it. Alan Greenspan attempted to solve every economic problem we've had for the last 20 years by lowering interest rates, putting more money into the economy and watering down its value. The tech bubble was caused by it, and it's a major part of the current problems in the real estate and financial markets. The problems we're having now are almost inevitable by-products of the system. But, the changes in lending practices certainly didn't make anything better.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The roots of the problem can be traced back to the creation of the Federal Reserve System and the abandonment of the gold standard under Nixon. We have been issuing worthless money for years, and with nothing to peg it to, the government has just been printing more and more of it. Alan Greenspan attempted to solve every economic problem we've had for the last 20 years by lowering interest rates, putting more money into the economy and watering down its value. The tech bubble was caused by it, and it's a major part of the current problems in the real estate and financial markets. The problems we're having now are almost inevitable by-products of the system. But, the changes in lending practices certainly didn't make anything better.
Very true. Every little thing adds up to disaster. And things don't always happen right away, as this lastest trouble has showed us. We're talking about events 30-40 years ago still affecting us in major ways. It'd be nice if we thought about the long-term more often rather than just what's happening right now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.