Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Partner / Administrator
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the wake of the big Cambridge Analytica scandal, would you be willing to give up your information if you were paid for it?

My colleague has introduced me to a new initiative his company is putting together that has an objective of paying consumers for their data.

https://bigtoken.com/

Compensation - Earn BIGtokens when you sign up for BIG and share your data

Choice - Decide which pieces of your personal data are for sale and who can buy them

Transparency - Verify your data and know exactly who is purchasing your data.

From a consumer standpoint, I don't see the value in promoting "blockchain", because I don't think the consumer market really associates blockchain with security (yet).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
For someone like me who is relatively off the grid, all of this stuff really amuses me. The level of personal information people are willing to put online is astonishing!

Real names, addresses, pictures. It’s really remarkable.

I’m no Luddite. I use amazon and obviously they track my purchase history, but I also benefit from their recommendations based on my purchase history.

I can honestly say I’ve never been influenced or advertised to in any way that has had an appreciable impact on my purchasing choices. Certainly not my politics.

Take my information. I’ll give it to you freely. It’s quite boring.

The only sin Facebook committed is the perception that they helped Trump get elected.

Sorry, I know that’s not the point of this thread, but this whole thing pure absurdity.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug".

I believe that, all things being even, I shall exercise my right to freedom rather than yield to the implacable dominion of algorithms.

As to the data mining of reality, relentlessly stalked, diagnosed and categorised by the tulpa and golem of analytics and the whatnot, I have pondered and mused, and the inescapable dread vision which coalesces in my imagination is this:

And they had as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apollyon.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Now that I got that out of my system, let me give a more coherent answer.

About 20 years ago I recall buying a new car. A few months later I received an invitation to attend a focus group dealing with automobiles. I would be compensated about $200 for the 2 hours required of me. The focus group centered on certain automobile features as well as performance.

I see this as a more high tech focus group and marketing research effort. Sure, I'll take money for it. But I'm only willing to share very, very limited information about myself. Given those strictures, I doubt anyone would want to pay me for it.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Now that I got that out of my system, let me give a more coherent answer.

About 20 years ago I recall buying a new car. A few months later I received an invitation to attend a focus group dealing with automobiles. I would be compensated about $200 for the 2 hours required of me. The focus group centered on certain automobile features as well as performance.

I see this as a more high tech focus group and marketing research effort. Sure, I'll take money for it. But I'm only willing to share very, very limited information about myself. Given those strictures, I doubt anyone would want to pay me for it.
Actually, the fact that you're only willing to share limited information is *itself* data, and quite valuable data, probably - you feel strongly enough about it to have written a clarifying post (which is, again, data).

The thing about analytics is that none of this is couched in normal, "human" terms: *any* interaction with online media can be "data", even clicking away from a page, or hovering a mouse over a picture or link. It's powerful stuff.

DH

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only sin Facebook committed is the perception that they helped Trump get elected.
Everyone seems to think Facebook - or perhaps Zuck himself - is responsible for "fake news" and "Russian propaganda influence." But here's how I see it. If there are some posts that offend you or that mislead you or that you otherwise don't like thumb-tacked up on the cork board in your office, you don't blame the company that manufactured the cork board. Facebook is just a cork board that Mark made. Mark/Facebook didn't WRITE the fake news or the Russian propaganda or whatever.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Everyone seems to think Facebook - or perhaps Zuck himself - is responsible for "fake news" and "Russian propaganda influence." But here's how I see it. If there are some posts that offend you or that mislead you or that you otherwise don't like thumb-tacked up on the cork board in your office, you don't blame the company that manufactured the cork board. Facebook is just a cork board that Mark made. Mark/Facebook didn't WRITE the fake news or the Russian propaganda or whatever.
Facebook has never offended me in any way because....I don't have a Facebook account! That's the comical thing about all this, at least for me.

I find Facebook and other social networking sites utterly useless. I'm posting here of course but I'm quite sure that if AAAC disappeared tomorrow, my life would go on.

If people are stupid enough to allow their Facebook news feed or propoganda influence them, then they're probably too stupid to be allowed to vote.

I'll say this, the only thing sadder than the waste of time the Facebook hearings were, was watching a bunch of geezers and halfwits read prepared questions regarding tech of which they have no clue. I remember a few times when Zuckerberg would ask for clarity and ask a follow up question only to be read the question straight back. Our congress is full of morons.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I for one try to stay as disconnected, avoiding social media and living off net as completely as I possibly can, but in reality, it is all so futile. Big Brother is alive and well and I suspect has been for most of my life and most of your lives as well. Looking back on the multitude of data various government entities have compiled on me over the years, screening me for emotional, mental and physical compatibility with certain sensitive jobs and conducting background investigations in excruciating detail on which to base various security clearances I needed to work in said positions and then reflecting on myself and so many other former and current government employees being notified on several occasions that these various mountains of very personal data had been hacked and said data stolen. Who the hell are we kidding...personal privacy is but a fading memory! The advent of computers signaled the end of personal privacy as we know it! :angry:

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
For someone like me who is relatively off the grid, all of this stuff really amuses me. The level of personal information people are willing to put online is astonishing!

Real names, addresses, pictures. It's really remarkable.

I'm no Luddite. I use amazon and obviously they track my purchase history, but I also benefit from their recommendations based on my purchase history.

I can honestly say I've never been influenced or advertised to in any way that has had an appreciable impact on my purchasing choices. Certainly not my politics.

Take my information. I'll give it to you freely. It's quite boring.

Sorry, I know that's not the point of this thread, but this whole thing pure absurdity.
If I had written this it would not be as concise. I am so happy that I do not have a Facebook account. Until the day they plant me I will be eternally grateful that I had no computers in my life as I was growing up.

I am nothing short of dumbfounded that anyone would give someone else their personal information,.....For FREE mind you.

I work at a large academic institution and hospital. Every week of my life I see people with advanced degrees walk into walls while they are unnaturally fixated on their hand held devices,.....Often on Facebook.

If the entire world could stand all around me pointing and belittling me because of my stance on Facebook and computers in general I would bask in glory.

I have concluded that by and large our species seeks to follow instinctively. Moreover human stupidly, especially in groups, cannot be overstated.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Oh, the angst created by the rapidly fading illusion of personal privacy....

I expect that this thread will be viewed by a social anthropologist 100 years in the future and that it will elicit a chuckle.

As for me, I believe that Mae West, flappers, bobbed hair and talking pictures signaled the beginning of the end of western civilization.

"Hi Mr./Ms. researcher from 2018!"

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with FB losing nearly 20% of it's market capitalization and setting the record for the largest loss of value in one day in the markets history, it's worth bringing it up.

I pulled this excerpt from a CNBC online article:

On a call with analysts, Facebook advised it expected its revenue growth rates to be lower than the year prior, especially in the second half of this year. Sequentially in the third quarter and fourth quarter, it expected the decline to be as much as high single digit percentages. Some reasons included Facebook investing in Stories, which has lower levels of monetization, as well as improving privacy features as a result of GDPR and other user demands. It also is bracing for currency fluctuations as the dollar gets weaker.

"We continue to focus our product impact on putting privacy first, and that's going to have some impact on revenue growth," said Facebook chief financial officer David Wehner on the earnings call.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the highlighted section is telling; FB is not going to make as much money due to new user privacy tools and regulations and therefore not being able to sell user data. For all the talk about a "community" and other millennial buzz words, FB does nothing more than collect your data and sell it for A LOT of money.

·
37,088 Posts
^^Well put, my friend....a rather unsettling reminder to those that live so much of their lives on Facebook and other, similar social media concerns, that, like it or not, there just ain't no free lunch! Sure glad I remaion disconnected, LOL. :(

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,038 Posts
Facebook . . . I'm sure at one time I knew what Facebook was but in my dotage I am unable to recollect what I knew. Those who wish to communicate with me can send me an email or, better yet, write me a letter.

·
37,088 Posts
Facebook . . . I'm sure at one time I knew what Facebook was but in my dotage I am unable to recollect what I knew. Those who wish to communicate with me can send me an email or, better yet, write me a letter.
Thank gawd there's another out there who continues to write letters and sends them off using 'snail mail.' Lately I've been getting more email responses to my snail mailed tomes, than hand written letters in response. Reflecting on my affinity for communicating in the old way(s), I was beginning to think I might be the only one left! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.