Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was watching the NCAA tournament over the weekend, I couldn't help to notice the collar on Oklahoma State's head coach Jeff Capel. Did anyone else see that? Would this still be considered a cut-away collar? It seems a bit extreme, even for a cut-away collar. I like spread collars, but I think this just looks awful. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
ChicagoMediaMan-27;909121 What do you guys think? [IMG said:
https://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46/chicagomediaman-27/jeffcapel2.jpg[/IMG]

I think most athletes aren't known for their sartorial acumen.

Yes, I'd term it a cutaway collar. That was once a favorite of mine, but there's something wrong with this one. In fact, there something wrong with just about everything. First, the knot is too large. Counter intuitively, I think this type of collar looks better with a smaller knot. The tie looks wide and thick, so I don't know what sort this is, but a four-in-hand or smaller half-windsor would make it look better.

And I know he's a big tall guy, but a narrower tie would make things a bit more elegant. And skip the high role button stance. Put all that together, and the collar might not look as bad.

Ahh, I see part of the problem! The line of the bottom collar edge points directly at the overly high lapel notches. Makes the whole thing rather inelegant.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I don't like how cutaway collars frame a tie knot. I even like it less when you can see the pieces of tie leading into the knot.

I think spread collars are okay when done right, but I don't like cutaways at all.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
That one is not as extreme as the Udeshi ...

They are meant to be worn with a symmetrical knot, but the one in question is a little large. I have one extreme cutaway I got at New & Lingwood just to try one out. I don't wear it much and probably wouldn't buy another. I do like the cutaway collar. I am fairly tall and thin so I can wear the cutaway. I don't think the cutaway looks good on short or paunchy men.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I like cutaways generally, but not that one. The way the collar leaves touch at the top (technically, the lack of any "tie space") is suboptimal. His knot is tied too loosely, and it's off-kilter in relation to the collar (possibly a by-product of all the gesticulating a coach has to do on the sidelines, so I give him a break there).

And about the baggy-looking 4-button suit, the less said the better.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
What collar?

I cannot see any shirt collar in the photos. I can only see 4 buttons on a mockery of a suit coat.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Although Coach Capel's collar looks like he is wearing an Eton, it doesn't look that extreme to me. The ones that expose the tie loop on either side of the knot are the extreme ones. His is shy of that ridiculous level.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That is a VERY cut away collar and I am not a personal fan of spread collars much less a really hacked off one like that. I know its a style preference but I think a point collar suits the shape of my head better. The knot isn't the problem I dont think, spreads and cutaways give you the room for a big knot Prince Michael style and this fellow does have a big knot that fills the big void created by the absent collar.

My problem is with his tie width, its fat basically its entire length and the narrow stripes seem to accentuate the size of it. His shirt cuffs are too wide for his wrists as well as his jacket sleeves and his jacket is a four-button clown lapel abomination I can barely look at. you mix the cuffs with the collar, the tie, the jacket and the tiny goatee and he looks like a early 1900's magician or vaudevillian comedian.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Dreadful - can't even claim it to be costume. Still his competence is judged by his skills in play not in doing what he is told by some clueless coach that fancies himself as as an expert on clothes. There again someone probably knows kick backs well too...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the problem isn't so much with the collar as it is with the monstrously fat tie & knot and the abominable four-button suit.

My experience, as a rather large-headed and paunchy person with a very short neck, is that cutaway collars have a hidden advantage of sitting very low on the neck compared to others.

I suspect if you take away the cutaway and put on a regular collar, this man will have no neck. He has a diminutive neck as it is; a regular straight collar will make a turtle of him.

The right way, of course, is to obtain a very thin, reasonably skinny tie, modestly striped (or preferrably) dotted, small-pattern, so forth, and paired with a two-button (or as he has a lot of room for maneuver when it comes to dress) an aristocratic one-button suit.

Of course, I suspect that wouldn't do on the court at all.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have a couple of Purple Label Keaton collared shirts. I bought them several years ago and have worn one once and the other not at all.

I suspect it is because I do find them a bit of an affected look and something I would never wear with clients.

I also totally agree with the thought that the unveiling of much of the tie under the collar besides the knot is offputting.

Perry

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have a similar collar on a few of my shirts. I think its not the collar, or even the knot, so much as it is how high the button stance is on his jacket. I'm sure if you were 6'9" a four button suit might be a viable option...or not.

I think that particular collar would look much better with a wider lapel, and lower button stance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.