Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see recommendations to get two trousers when getting a MTM or bespoke suit. They usually say this because the trousers wear out faster because the jacket is taken off at the office. But what about for the gentlemen who leave their jacket on? Will the trousers still wear faster even though they are worn just as much as the jacket?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If you are getting a quality MTM/bespoke suit for special ocassions then you do not need spare trousers.

If you plan to wear every week or fortnight, then one could get spare trousers; however, there are two sides:

Only get one pair - A pair of trousers should last a long time any way and by the time you need new trousers, you may need a wider waist or prefer it to be made in a different way.

Two pairs - you can rotate the trousers and use the trousers without the blazer.

My advice - get the suit made and also pay for the spare trousers. Then once you have worn the trousers a few times, you will know if you would like the second pair to be same or slightly different. When you have done this the first, it will always be easier because you know exactly what you want in terms of spec.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When using any weight flannel, I like to commission an extra trouser and my tailor has recommended this due to the nature of woolen flannel

On non-flannel wool, 12oz and above, I hold off on a 2nd trouser
ie. Dormeuil's Royal 12oz...bulletproof stuff, I didn't find it necessary and the tailor concurred.

Make sure you rotate wearing both trousers to ensure they wear as well as your suits

I had one tailor recommend dry cleaning both trousers at the same the jacket & vest were done to ensure color consistency throughout all garmets

But my current tailor said the above was hogwash...as long as you wear both trousers and in time...when appropriate, dry cleaning is necessary

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
Some people need extra trousers. If an individual has heavy thighs friction will wear through the crotch. If you sit in a leather chair you will shine the seat. Most people do not need extra trousers. If you do opt for a second trousers you should always dry clean both trousers when you dry clean the suit.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I've done this for a few suits that are (a) light weight and perhaps prone to shine and/or (b) classic enough that I might travel with them. That way I can potentially get the effect of 2 suits with only 1.5 in the suitcase.

[You can generally make a jacket look OK just by hanging it up in a hotel bathroom, but trousers are more reluctant to snap back without professional care.]

It's also nice to have the braces vs belt option. Sometimes when you know that you'll be taking off the jacket in a long meeting, it is good to not worry about the naked ladies that may decorate your braces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Second Pair of Trousers

The truth is, regardless of wearing the coat or not, your trousers will wear faster than your coat. The coat does not see the friction, body temperature or result of gravity at lunch time that your trousers do. Things happen to pants that don't happen to coats and therefore they are likely to lose the battle with longevity much sooner. I always offer my clients who travel a lot the option of a second pair of trousers because a lot of sitting and long days has an adverse effect on slacks. The second pair of trousers is more likely to make the suit last twice as long and typically at a third the cost of the complete suit. Most of the work and material go into the coat making the pant the less expensive piece to double up on.

My Best,

Jeff Collins
Professional Haberdasher
https://ww.MyHaberdasher.com

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Having had to have fork pieces inserted twice into the inseam of the trousers of my first made-to-measure suit as a result of excess wear, I now invariably have a second pair of trousers and haven't had cause to regret it yet. In most cases my trousers seem to wear substantially quicker than the associated jackets even where I leave them off when at my desk.

·
Registered
637 Posts
For the reasons set out above, I'd always get a second pair. It does also help slightly vary the look of the suit if one pair of trousers has a lapped seam and is a little narrower, for example, or one pair is without pleats. I have done this to good effect a few times.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
In my case the jury is out.

A friend eschews the second trouser because he wears his coat all day, and he finds that the coat and trousers get beaten-up equally.

Men who do not wear their coat during most of the day might find the second trouser useful. E.g., the doctor who spends most of the day in a lab coat. One of my employee is in shirtsleeves all day.

Heavier men tend to wreck trousers by rubbing in the crotch.

If you have a smaller wardrobe and intend wearing a suit weekly, then the second trouser will be useful. However, if you have a larger wardrobe and frequently rotate, then a second trouser may be unnecessary.

When I was younger and had a smaller wardrobe I had worn-through some pants in the crotch. On one pair of pants I wore a hole in the back pocket where I used to keep my wallet. I have not had this happen for the last 25 years.

I have had a series of suits made about five years ago with a second trouser. My jury is still out as to whether the second trouser was worthwhile. Not only is there the added cost but the added bulk in the closet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.