Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for tall men who buy extra long ties. Is there anywhere to get true XL ties? Not just ones with a longer tail?

All the ones that I have bought seem to just lengthen the tail. The part of the tie that is wider is not any longer than in shorter ties. This results in the part of the tie that covers the knot being "narrower" on a tall man because you have to start the knot further into the tie so that the front is long enough. This drives me crazy. I can never get a decent looking knot.

All the extra length does is give a long enough tail so that it is not up around your tits after you finish the knot. What I really want is a tie that is not only longer overall, but proportioned for a tall man as well.

Is there such a thing?

· Registered
464 Posts
I noticed the same thing with my older department store ties. No problem with speciality (read: clothing) store products. Where are you getting your ties from and, if you don't mind my asking, what price range are you looking at?

· Registered
294 Posts
I too am an extra long tie wearer and have noticed the same issue with ties. i've found the thicker ties from Jos Bank and BB make a nicer knot, but it seems to be hit or miss with other companies .

· Registered
953 Posts
*some* of brooks brothers xl ties are a bit better this way, as are *some* of the Robert Talbott options out there.

Still, your best best is going bespoke/custom (which was my personal solution) in which they can do whatever shape you like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.