Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Is that a convertible 3 to 2 button suit?"

This is what I heard last night at the bar at my club down on Wall Street, I walked in and saw a friend I've known for for a few years and we stood there and he asked me that "Is that a convertible 3 to 2 button suit?", stating "I've never seen one like that before." I was wearing a grey pinstripe Brookease sack.

So I had to go through the whole rigmarole of the sack suit and where to find them. And I said, you know I wear these all the time and have known you for almost 3 years. . .

More proof that your average fellow in today's world doesn't;

A. Pay attention
B. Doesn't care

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Truthfully I'm suprised he even payed close enough attention to notice the roll.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well I guess this buries the old stereotype of the "Wall Street" man in traditional clothing. Reading your account made my mind hurt. I can't get around the "convertible" part. Why would anyone want to convert such a thing?

But yes, it seems many aren't paying attention and when they do they don't quite know what to say.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sort of off topic and I apologize for lowering the standards of the discussion, but...

I was in the local shop of a (CHAIN) Men's Clothiers last week, and I commented to the senior sales associate that I wished they manufactured and sold sack suits or jackets.

Blank stare.

"You know, no darts"

Blank stare.

"For example, 3 buttons, but the lapel rolling to the second button. Natural shoulders. A classic traditional style."

"Ooohhhhhh, old fashioned stuff. Why would you want that?"

Granted this is a place most here would not step in to in the first place, but I find fair values there. Anyway, the notion of a sack suit was down right bizarre to them, and they sell professional men's clothes. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Sort of off topic and I apologize for lowering the standards of the discussion, but...

I was in the local shop of a (CHAIN) Men's Clothiers last week, and I commented to the senior sales associate that I wished they manufactured and sold sack suits or jackets.

Blank stare.

"You know, no darts"

Blank stare.

"For example, 3 buttons, but the lapel rolling to the second button. Natural shoulders. A classic traditional style."

"Ooohhhhhh, old fashioned stuff. Why would you want that?"

Granted this is a place most here would not step in to in the first place, but I find fair values there. Anyway, the notion of a sack suit was down right bizarre to them, and they sell professional men's clothes. :crazy:
Assuming you're talking about Jos. A. Bank, the irony is sack jackets and suits used to be all they sold....

JB

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Would that they still sold the Valley! Alas.
Indeed. That was just about all I wore when I worked for IBM in the 1980's. They were great suits. Nearly as good as what you could get at Brooks Brothers back then, and considerably less expensive.

Sadly, neither store is what it used to be, and neither are their suits.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Indeed. That was just about all I wore when I worked for IBM in the 1980's. They were great suits. Nearly as good as what you could get at Brooks Brothers back then, and considerably less expensive.

Sadly, neither store is what it used to be, and neither are their suits.
It's not just traditional clothing, guys...it's tradition of any kind that eludes the masses.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Unfortunately in this day and age, I would bet that many people who notice a 3/2 button hole will assume that your dry cleaner pressed the lapel wrong. Or worse, they might think that someone goofed on sewing the buttonhole. Oh well, we can't protect everyone from their own ignorance.

In the years that I shopped at Jos Bank, they were never exclusively sack suits in my experience. The Valley was always offered alongside a 2 button darted and a double breasted, at least since about 1984. The 2 button did have a natural shoulder, unlike today (I still have a couple). I will have to ask my father what was offered back in their heyday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.