Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who've ordered from J. Press before, particularly jackets and suits:

What's the experience like? Were you able to get something that fit on the first try? Did you have to send it back? How was that? Did the color/fabric meet your expectations?

Alterations -- if you ordered a sack, were you able to find someone local to competently alter it?

I'm often tempted by the jackets and suits I see on the J. Press website, but I'm leery of buying something like that without trying it on first.

· Registered
582 Posts

What's the experience like? Were you able to get something that fit on the first try? Did you have to send it back? How was that? Did the color/fabric meet your expectations?

Alterations -- if you ordered a sack, were you able to find someone local to competently alter it?

I'm often tempted by the jackets and suits I see on the J. Press website, but I'm leery of buying something like that without trying it on first.
Recently ordered a sack sport coat. Fit perfectly except for sleeves. Got that sorted out at a local tailor.

Go for it!

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I buy a few ties every year from Press when they have a sale, but would be leery of buying a suit without first trying it on. I am a big believer in buying tailored clothing from a store that has a tailor on the premises, but it must work for some folks or Press, Ben Silver, and others would not be able to sell tailored clothing by mail order.

I hope someone can give you a better answer.

Cheers, Jim.

· Registered
280 Posts
I called the Press store in DC during their sale this summer and ordered a suit. The sizing wasn't an issue (sleeves had to be adjusted, but that is standard). That said, I already owned a J Press suit in a similar cut so I knew my sizing. I would really recommend trying something of theirs on in store before placing orders.
If you really want a particular suit, their service is exceptional and if a size doesn't work for you I am certain they would allow for an exchange.

· Registered
993 Posts
I purchased a suit in person before ordering on the website, so I was confident about fit. I would assume that if you did order a suit and it did not fit, that you would not have a problem returning it (not sure if you would have to pay for the cost of the return shipment).

· Registered
943 Posts
Ordered a pair of flannel trousers over the phone last winter. The were cut pretty snug, so I sent them back for a larger size. No issues with the exchange at all. But you can rack up some UPS charges this way (insure your return).

Scott

· Registered
190 Posts
Could be a LOT better, IMO

In the past, I've ordered things like sweaters and ties with no problem at all. Late last winter, I pulled the trigger on the Pressidential charcoal tweed suit when the sale started. That's when the problems began.

First, no where in the ordering process do they tell you that for orders above a certain amount do they ship with a signature requirement. Had they done so, I would have had the suit shipped to my office rather than my home and I would have gotten it six days sooner without playing tag with the UPS man. When I called the NYC store to try to get them to change the signature requirement and/or the shipping address, their online department such as it was wasn't much help.

Second, I ordered a size 40R. No where on the site does it state what the drop is on their suits, so I naturally assumed it was the standard six inches. Well, I was wrong. It was seven inches -- a 33 waist that was cut pretty snuggly. The jacket was a perfect fit, though, and when I called customer service regarding the trousers, I was told that was their standard sizing.

All that said, it was a less than perfect experience. I love the suit, but I think it's going to be my last major Press Online purchase. BB's Web site is much more informative and the fit is truer to the stated sizes.

· Registered
764 Posts
In the past, I've ordered things like sweaters and ties with no problem at all. Late last winter, I pulled the trigger on the Pressidential charcoal tweed suit when the sale started. That's when the problems began.

First, no where in the ordering process do they tell you that for orders above a certain amount do they ship with a signature requirement. Had they done so, I would have had the suit shipped to my office rather than my home and I would have gotten it six days sooner without playing tag with the UPS man. When I called the NYC store to try to get them to change the signature requirement and/or the shipping address, their online department such as it was wasn't much help.

Second, I ordered a size 40R. No where on the site does it state what the drop is on their suits, so I naturally assumed it was the standard six inches. Well, I was wrong. It was seven inches -- a 33 waist that was cut pretty snuggly. The jacket was a perfect fit, though, and when I called customer service regarding the trousers, I was told that was their standard sizing.

All that said, it was a less than perfect experience. I love the suit, but I think it's going to be my last major Press Online purchase. BB's Web site is much more informative and the fit is truer to the stated sizes.
Call a store and work with a salesman. The drop is six inches, something was wrong with that pair. You will get much better service, and exchanges are never a problem. Over time, they will begin to learn your preferences just like any other regular. Besides, those guys work on commission, and good help should be rewarded in this day and age.

That said, I rarely have a need to send something back. I've bought more than I care to admit here, and have never stepped foot in a store. Luckily for me, their RTW fits me well (though I do shorten sleeves and often take in the sides of the sack jackets), and I don't think twice about ordering. Living in a city not having the choices of a NY or Chicago, I have simply grown accustomed to ordering from stores sight unseen.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
Call a store and work with a salesman. The drop is six inches, something was wrong with that pair. You will get much better service, and exchanges are never a problem. Over time, they will begin to learn your preferences just like any other regular. Besides, those guys work on commission, and good help should be rewarded in this day and age.
^+1

I found JP's website lacking in detailed information about items I was interested in buying, so I called their NYC store. Spoke with a Mr. Jay Walter and have been buying from him ever since. Service and advice from Mr. Walter is outstanding. Why buy online when you can call and speak to a knowledgeable haberdasher.

Cheers.

· Registered
1,291 Posts
More on JP

^+1

I found JP's website lacking in detailed information about items I was interested in buying, so I called their NYC store. Spoke with a Mr. Jay Walter and have been buying from him ever since. Service and advice from Mr. Walter is outstanding. Why buy online when you can call and speak to a knowledgeable haberdasher.

Cheers.
^+2

I have always worked with a Press staffer via phone; no complaints ever.
My original contact was Earle in New Haven (he's since left); more recently, Lawrence Taylor in NYC helped me into a charcoal Basic Interview Suit...excellent service.

Salute!

hbs

· Registered
30 Posts

I've never ordered online because I live about 5 miles from the DC Press, but I would recommend that you call one of the stores and speak with staff. Press has top-notch sales staff and they'll be able to give you good advice. There's also significantly more merchandise in the store than online.

As far as fit is concerned, I've never been surprised with how anything fit me at Press. Their sizes seem very standard. That's been my experience anyway.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
I've ordered furnishings online (shirts, ties, etc.). For tailored clothing (blazers, sportcoats, suits), I've always called the NY store and talked to the same salesman. I now have 1 blazer, 2 sportcoats, and 2 suits. I'm familiar with the sizing now, so I just order my same size every time. I get the jackets shortened in the sleeves and taken in a little at the sides by a local tailor, who also hems and cuffs the trousers.

Only once have I ever sent something back -- a navy suit they sent me looked like it might be too prone to wrinkles, so I exchanged it for a navy suit in a different material. No problems with the exchange. Just be timely about it (I think they have a 14-day limit?) and don't try to return something after it's been altered. The current return policy will be enclosed, or you can ask about it when you call to place the order.

If you're afraid that you're between sizes and you've never worn their clothing before, you might consider ordering both sizes so you can try them at home to compare. Then then send one back. You'll have extra shipping charges, but that will be much less expensive than a plane ticket to visit the store.

· Registered
48 Posts
Strange .............

The strangest thing just happened to me right now. I called the 1-800 number to ask a question about my order number (5 ties I had ordered). The call lands up going to the New York store, (I shop in the D.C one). Some Chinese women picks up the phone. I say: "Pardon me, I ordered some ties on wednesday, do you think I will recieve them by next friday -- because I am leaving for vacation." The lady goes: "This is the J.Press Store in New York, not the Internet -- The internet lady is out for the day". I didn't quite understand her, as her accent was quite thick, and my brain was obviously not expecting to recognize the unusual response. I say: "This is the J.Press Store right?", she says: "Yes this is the store, not the internet" -- and put down the phone.

How is the NYC store run? I have never seen it, but am picturing a big building covering half a block run by Chinese women fighting between each other for customers to receive their compensation, loud, and chaotic ... There needs to be more I.B Cohen's in this world :/

· Registered
48 Posts
Well, China or Japan I presume -- I am no linguist!

Edit: Even if she was from America -- which I 99% doubt, she would still be Chinese-American. I don't know what you're trying to get at -- but I did not mean it as a pejorative term in my post.

· Registered
2,512 Posts
Well, China or Japan I presume -- I am no linguist!

Edit: Even if she was from America -- which I 99% doubt, she would still be Chinese-American. I don't know what you're trying to get at -- but I did not mean it as a pejorative term in my post.
You may not have meant it as such, but when one uses "Chinese" (or now in this case "Japanese") in place of "Asian", then he is being pejorative.

You think every Asian is a Chinese-American or Japanese? You sure she wasn't Korean or Vietnamese?

Perhaps the better thing to say would be, "it was clear English was not the first language of the women who answered the phone."

This is like assuming all Spanish-speakers are Mexicans. It's equally as offensive. Or that all English-speakers are Irishmen. It's equally as laughable.

JB

· Registered
1,346 Posts
The strangest thing just happened to me right now. I called the 1-800 number to ask a question about my order number (5 ties I had ordered). The call lands up going to the New York store, (I shop in the D.C one). Some Chinese women picks up the phone. I say: "Pardon me, I ordered some ties on wednesday, do you think I will recieve them by next friday -- because I am leaving for vacation." The lady goes: "This is the J.Press Store in New York, not the Internet -- The internet lady is out for the day". I didn't quite understand her, as her accent was quite thick, and my brain was obviously not expecting to recognize the unusual response. I say: "This is the J.Press Store right?", she says: "Yes this is the store, not the internet" -- and put down the phone.

How is the NYC store run? I have never seen it, but am picturing a big building covering half a block run by Chinese women fighting between each other for customers to receive their compensation, loud, and chaotic ... There needs to be more I.B Cohen's in this world :/
My one and only experience with Press occured about 2 years ago and was very similiar to this poster's experience. I ordered 2 flap pocket OCBDs (one pink, one blue) and a scarf. After 2 weeks of no email shipping confirmation, I called the number on my email receipt. I also was connected to a woman that I assume was of asian descent. She could have been from Jersey for all I know, but the conversation's level of difficulty was eerily similar to the one I regularly have with my local chinese restaurant. Anywho...she kept saying something about internet and New York before hanging up the phone. I called back and got someone else who told me the order was shipping that day. Well the order came and the scarf was fine, but the OCBDs were just laughable. They were both in plastic bags that had turned yellow due to dust and aging. The pink shirt fit correctly, but felt like sandpaper. The blue one felt like an OCBD should, but fit like a 16-34 when they were sized 16.5-36. It also had horrible seam problems on one side below the armpit.

Needless to say I haven't ordered from Press again. I get the catalog and think about pulling the trigger every now and then, but never do. Luckily I have a shop close to my town that has been called "the southern J Press" by at least one poster here.

· Registered
2,512 Posts
This issue comes up perennially, perhaps once a quarter around here.

If one has read around here for longer than three months, one knows very well NOT to place an internet order through J Press.

How many times do the Press devotees have to say it: if you want something from Press and you don't live in the area, CALL A STORE. TALK TO A SALESMAN. They are--to a man--friendly, courteous, helpful, and speak English clearly. Anything you could ever dream of wanting (and some things you couldn't, like the TRAD pin or the Daddy tie) can be had by calling a salesman and placing the order over the phone. You can use a credit card, the items ship quickly, the salesman are happy to dig around for you, etc, etc, etc.

Please. Just pick up the phone.

JB

· Registered
190 Posts
Point VERY well-taken ...

This issue comes up perennially, perhaps once a quarter around here.

If one has read around here for longer than three months, one knows very well NOT to place an internet order through J Press.

How many times do the Press devotees have to say it: if you want something from Press and you don't live in the area, CALL A STORE. TALK TO A SALESMAN. They are--to a man--friendly, courteous, helpful, and speak English clearly. Anything you could ever dream of wanting (and some things you couldn't, like the TRAD pin or the Daddy tie) can be had by calling a salesman and placing the order over the phone. You can use a credit card, the items ship quickly, the salesman are happy to dig around for you, etc, etc, etc.

Please. Just pick up the phone.

JB
... but the original query was about online ordering and that's what has been addressed. Regarding the trousers to the tweed suit I posted about earlier in the thread, I plan to speak to the person in the New York store everyone has raved about to see if there's anything he can do five months after the fact.

And I, too, had the same problems with the "Internet Department" being off for the day when I called with a shipping question about my order.

In this day and age, if a company is going to have an online presence and solicit online business, it should NOT go halfway. Have a site that gives as much information online as you could obtain browsing in person or don't have a site at all.

Press should simply take their site down and rebuild it from the ground up so that this thread, or a variant thereof, doesn't pop up every quarter or so.

Just my two pennies.

· Registered
3,258 Posts
I've always had a good experience with Press when I've ordered online, and have always been pleasantly surprised with how quickly I get my order.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.