Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

A friend recently told me the best men's underwear in the world was made by 2Undr, a company down under.

Since a bunch of my old underwear from Costco got ruined in a too-hot dryer, I googled reviews of men's underwear and discovered there are several companies marketing similar products.

Here are some of them:
ExOfficio - some travel mag said they were the best for travel
Saxx - mentioned in an online discussion and noted for best fabric and waistband
MyPakage
2Undr
MackWeldon

ExOfficio - I bought a couple of pair of ExOfficio Sport Mesh before going on a trip for 4 weeks, and decided I liked the boxer-brief configuration. My usual has been to wear boxer shorts. I should mention here that some of the brands have several different but similar models, and it can be confusing. Eg. ExOfficio Sport Mesh Boxer-Brief, vs. Boxer-Brief. It isn't just the fabric but also the design that differs significantly. What I like about the Sport Mesh model is the seam up the front, which is cut to allow more room. The fabric is pretty nice, and I personally like the prints.

Saxx - True, the fabric is more luxurious and the waistband more comfortable. I bought the "Ultra" model, which is just a tad loose in the front for me. But if I am on a 24-hour shift and may or may not get a chance to shower and change, this is my first choice. Again, I like the print colors and found a couple of pair on sale. Comfortable!

MyPakage - I called and was advised to buy XXL size. I bought the "Weekday" model in a print. The waistband isn't as comfortable as the Saxx, as it doesn't seem as stretchy. Strangely, another pair of "Weekday" I purchased in a different print (also on sale), had a different and somewhat more comfortble waistband. The fabric is a bit thinner but smoother than two brands mentioned above. The main feature of these are that the fit and shape are such that when I am wearing them, it feels like a young woman is cradling my junk in her two hands. There, I've said it and I hope it isn't too racy for this forum. ;) I might wear these on a hot date!

2Undr - XL was way too small and I probably won't re-order

Mack Weldon - XL too small but they offered refund or store credit without returning original pair. They have delivered a pair of XXL but I haven't got it out of my mailbox yet.

That's about it. Some of the brands/models are creating sort of a pouch in front, by the geometry of the fabric and seams, and some have small free-flaps of fabric on each side to encase one's parts.

Eh next thing we'll be wearing cod-pieces. When did those go out of style by the way?

Cheers!

:pirate:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Keep your costs down, but do it smartly. Jockey puts out a line of briefs advertised as cool wearing underwear that are advertised to reduce the temps of air circulating through the briefs. They are very reasonably priced at $24.50 for a package of three pair. They actually perform as advertised and they have proven to be surprisingly durable, providing comfort and good value! ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Because I have mental issues I went out of my way to have at LEAST 1 or more of something really nice in almost all aspects...

1. 1+ pair of really nice shoes
2. tons of nice shirts
3. 3 really nice suits/sport coats
4. 1 nice winter coat
5. 1 nice casual spring outergarment

the list goes on to about everything you can put on....

except underwear and socks!!!!! LOL

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
OR you can buy the most expensive underwear and wear it over (outside) your trousers!
LOL. While nothing but Ribbed Tee undershirts cover my 'north 40,' Jockey shorts adorn my south 40, so as to allow Papa to accumulate the dollars for that next pair of shoes/boots! There is, indeed, a method to my madness! In hopefully not more than another month, my next pair of Lucchese Boots will be completed and on their way to my front door. LOL. ;)

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Because I have mental issues I went out of my way to have at LEAST 1 or more of something really nice in almost all aspects...

1. 1+ pair of really nice shoes
2. tons of nice shirts
3. 3 really nice suits/sport coats
4. 1 nice winter coat
5. 1 nice casual spring outergarment

the list goes on to about everything you can put on....

except underwear and socks!!!!! LOL
My sock and underwear drawers represent a significant investment. Don't skimp on your skivvies!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I've traveled with Ex Officio for several years and they pack compactly, wash and wear quickly overnight therefore I can pack fewer pairs. I took four pair to England in the fall for a two week trip and could rinse them out and dry overnight and have clean underwear for several days. The Ex Officio t shirts are also lightweight and wash and dry easily.

·
Partner / Administrator
1,798 Posts
@zzdocxx of the 3 (Saxx, ExOfficio, MyPackage), which would you say is your most favorite?

There are some other underwear brands that people have been talking about, including:
  • Tommy John
  • MeUndies
  • Bensly
  • Stance
  • Naked
  • Mack Weldon (specifically the AIRKNITX, which is cut different than their other underwear)
Of the ones I've tried, I'd say Tommy John "Air", MyPackage, and Saxx stand out from the rest.

That said, I still have more to try.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great suggestions and comments. I will give the jockey a look, and I have seen the underarmour mentioned elsewhere. This field is getting quite specialized, with some brands including a line of "compression" type boxer-briefs that are similar to underarmour.

Howard, I have always appreciated your straightforward and commonsense comments.

Andy, yeah those Duluth appear to be the "Buck Naked" line, as seen on TV.

Eagle, fantastic to see you here! Totally get it about the economizing. I've been Costco shopping for the most part up until now. Also bought some lightweight woven cotton (not knit, can't remember what the cloth is called) boxers for travel in hot weather. But fit is a little hard as I need to lose a bit of weight.

About Uniqlo, I have found their clothing to be better suited to a less full-figured fellow than myself. Well I am working on it ! ! ! OK a quick check of their site shows they have an XXL that might work. Great price too.

smmrfld - The F&T do look quite nice, I will explore further.

fishertw - yes about travelling, though when I was in London a couple of months ago it was rainy and cold and stuff didn't dry very quickly hanging in the bathroom. Have you found that to be a factor?

Peter Millar - their trousers seem to fit me well so might be worth a look.

Mikel, thanks, it seems you have been on the same quest to find the best underwear. My favorite for comfort right now is the Saxx Ultra, followed closely by the ExOfficio Give and Go Sport (Mesh). Next after those is the MyPakage, for the geometry as mentioned. Though the most recent pair I ordered has a much more comfortable waistband. Yikes those Tommy John Air are pricey, and I don't see any info about fabric composition nor leg length (??)

·
Partner / Administrator
1,798 Posts
Mikel, thanks, it seems you have been on the same quest to find the best underwear.

My favorite for comfort right now is the Saxx Ultra, followed closely by the ExOfficio Give and Go Sport (Mesh). Next after those is the MyPakage, for the geometry as mentioned. Though the most recent pair I ordered has a much more comfortable waistband.

Yikes those Tommy John Air are pricey, and I don't see any info about fabric composition nor leg length (??)
@zzdocxx Thanks for the details.

My apologies for failing to mention that Tommy John Air were ridiculously priced boxer briefs. The fabric blend is 77% Nylon Mesh, 23% Spandex, and they come in different styles including briefs, trunks, boxer briefs, etc. Each style has a different inseam length, all outlined on their website in the underwear section.

To be fully transparent, one of the reasons I am trying pretty much every boxer brief on the market is to find all the characteristics I like in men's boxer brief underwear, and combine them all into a single product to offer to our customers (and of course for my own use).

That said, I have no problem wearing any other brand of product, so as long it addresses my personal fit, feel, & function needs.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm going to second Uniqlo's boxer briefs, "Airism" or something I think they're called.

They're not expensive at all, but I kind of did the "expensive underwear" thing in my youth (when I was, ahem, single), and for the most part expensive undies aren't worth it.

The Uniqlo boxer briefs wick well (they're good for technical use, and I find them perfectly nice climbing, hiking, trekking around and such, etc), the material is comfortable, they don't "ride" up, and so on.

DH

·
Registered
Tie
19,962 Posts
Great suggestions and comments. I will give the jockey a look, and I have seen the underarmour mentioned elsewhere. This field is getting quite specialized, with some brands including a line of "compression" type boxer-briefs that are similar to underarmour.

Howard, I have always appreciated your straightforward and commonsense comments.

Andy, yeah those Duluth appear to be the "Buck Naked" line, as seen on TV.

Eagle, fantastic to see you here! Totally get it about the economizing. I've been Costco shopping for the most part up until now. Also bought some lightweight woven cotton (not knit, can't remember what the cloth is called) boxers for travel in hot weather. But fit is a little hard as I need to lose a bit of weight.

About Uniqlo, I have found their clothing to be better suited to a less full-figured fellow than myself. Well I am working on it ! ! ! OK a quick check of their site shows they have an XXL that might work. Great price too.

smmrfld - The F&T do look quite nice, I will explore further.

fishertw - yes about travelling, though when I was in London a couple of months ago it was rainy and cold and stuff didn't dry very quickly hanging in the bathroom. Have you found that to be a factor?

Peter Millar - their trousers seem to fit me well so might be worth a look.

Mikel, thanks, it seems you have been on the same quest to find the best underwear. My favorite for comfort right now is the Saxx Ultra, followed closely by the ExOfficio Give and Go Sport (Mesh). Next after those is the MyPakage, for the geometry as mentioned. Though the most recent pair I ordered has a much more comfortable waistband. Yikes those Tommy John Air are pricey, and I don't see any info about fabric composition nor leg length (??)
Thanks Doc, I always believed in inexpensive underwear a brand like Fruit Of The Loom cause that's just me, just wearing something to make my "boys" feel as comfortable as possible.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Formerly an expensive underwear skeptic, now somewhat conflicted. My 'standard' underwear are Hanes or FOTL cotton boxers, but a while ago I had a coupon for MeUndies, which are made of something called 'modal' (or something like that). They are really comfortable, but I really wasn't wanting to spend money on more, but more recently I read a review of a brand (available on Amazon, David Archy (?)) that was also made of the same Modal fabric but much cheaper. I took a flyer on them and have been really happy with them. My underwear drawer if flush right now, and I'll probably stick to the Modal underwear in the future.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.