Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a herringbone tweed sport coat on etsy. The coat is a long and it's a couple inches too big in the shoulders. I only spent $50 on it so I've been wearing it as an overcoat. I pair it with a vest or sweater, something to take up room. Would it be cheaper to buy a new coat then have the etsy jacket altered?

It's hardly used by the previous owner so it seems a waste to not do something with it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It would probably cost you more to alter than the $50.00 you paid for it and at that might turn into a horror, 2 inches are quite a bit to alter across the shoulders and then reducing the length could throw the whole jacket out of balance. I can't envision that jacket looking well on you regardless of trying to make up for the poor fit by wearing heavy clothing . If you could, provide some photos.

Perhaps you could flip it to try to regain some of or all your money.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Why not try some thrift stores in your area. Baltimore should have plenty and you will get to try stuff on first and will most likely be cheaper. My general rule of thumb for a sports coat is that the only alterations I will do is sleeve length (only if it does not have surgeons cuffs) and if you wanted, perhaps darts or move over the jacket button(s) slightly. After that, on a used jacket you can run into high alteration expense, a job that still does not turn out right or both (Most local tailors who do alterations are not expert enough to do much more and if they were, it would cost you a ton.) Since you have no problem with used clothes, do a search on www.thriftshopper.com. I just did one and there are many. Hit a few and try stuff on, in Dallas at least there are always older blue blazers and tweeds available Usually for about $10 to $15. In fact, you might find some really nice stuff in a city like Baltimore, I wish I could pop up and spend a few days checking out your area.
good luck,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.