Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never heard of this brand; I live in the sticks and seldom get to visit places with better clothing. Really handsome IMO, if a bit bold-patterned.

Anyway, I was at a NM outlet and saw some sportcoats in passing. Are these jackets full-canvas construction? Is this a well-regarded brand? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I like Etro a lot, particularly the fabrics, which are the main story with Etro. I am fairly sure most of the suits/coats are only half canvas, but to be honest, I've never bothered checking to confirm since it does not matter to me.

Here is an Etro suit I wore recently.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I like their stuff, but have never found any jackets or suits that I could afford...the normal retail on their gear in NM is ridiculous ($1200 for a sport coat) but their outlet has decent prices just not in my size.

I have a few ties, a ps, and a cool bathing suit.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As usual, a handsome suit. I also like 3-buttons, ticket pockets, and side vents.

I agree that the fabrics are noteworthy; and the jacket fit as well OTR as anything I've ever tried-on, but would still need suppression.

My main concern is that Etro would be considered a trendy, brand-of-the-week with boutique prices.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
As usual, a handsome suit. I also like 3-buttons, ticket pockets, and side vents.

I agree that the fabrics are noteworthy; and the jacket fit as well OTR as anything I've ever tried-on, but would still need suppression.

My main concern is that Etro would be considered a trendy, brand-of-the-week with boutique prices.
Thank you.

I would not be concerned with the latter statement. If something appeals to me, fits well, is relatively classic in styling, and I am fine with the price, I am not worried if it is perceived as brand of the week at all.

I just bought a beautiful Etro sportcoat (at the tailors right now, only work needed was shortened sleeves) that I will try to post to this thread if I remember. If you like and are convinced the price is worth it to you, I'd go for it..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed, I do like it very much. It is currently comparable in price to many BB sportcoats. And the more I'm here, the more I'm exposed to differing styles, I find the Italian designs appeal to me most. They have a leaner silhouette, outstanding fabric patterning reminiscent of some of those old Esquire illustrations, and more daring in colors-not necessarily garish, though. I think I'll examine it more closely tomorrow.

rgrossicone-when you mentioned swim trunks, it made me think about a pair I have. Sure enough, they're Etro. I thought they looked good, too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Wonderful Italian brand; you're right that fabric and pattern are the big story here. Lots of colorful paisley and striping are their signature, but they have some great understated stuff as well (navy seersucker shorts for this season; I just wish they weren't $350). I agree with gnatty that you shouldn't worry about them being flavor-of-the-week; although fashion forward and imaginative, they've been around for a while and are similar to Duchamp in London (there's another post on them up now, coincidentally). Anyway, I would say buy with confidence. Like other design houses, construction may not be up to par with your local artisan, but the imaginativeness and fabric sourcing and probably unmatched.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Buy it before someone else does and then get a few Duchamp shirts.

When you plan to go out, match with a pair of jeans and brown shoes - silk scarf (matching the sportcoats) optional

More formally, match with dark trousers; if in spring-summer and going out in the afternoon then light trousers (from Zegna).

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like a lot of what Etro does for suiting/sport coat wise, as well as their accessories. I try to limit the number of pieces I wear at one time, because their patterns are very bold most of the time. But one or two would be fine, anymore and you start looking like their ad models.

I just can't get myself to like their shirts with the wild patterns and colors, but other than that I like the brand. I guess this is why I would never buy Duchamp either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.