Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,971 Posts
Button down or not is one choice. Oxford, pinpoint oxford or end on end broadcloth is another. If you want a lighter fabric then the end on end will probably be more satisfactory. Certainly BD shirts fit the bill if you want a more casual look (no tie) so that may be more important. So maybe go for end on end BD shirts?!

· Registered
2,971 Posts
Button down collar poplin/broadcloth/10othernamesitgoesby just looks wrong to me for some reason.
I have never worn OCBD - definitely some pinpoint BD over the years although I currently have none in my wardrobe. But I am not a prep/trad and never have been. Most of the time I still wear a tie so I don't really care for the informality of a BD shirt. Perhaps to suit both your tastes and the OP tastes a pinpoint BD would work. I think they look pretty decent and are nice because they easily go with a tie or without which is a great compromise.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
Does it often get that hot in San Diego? I was there in the summer and would have been fine wearing oxford cloth. End-on-end is generally not a casual fabric, but it can work for that purpose in hot weather.
I think it just depends how far away from the ocean you go. And in the fall when the inversion occurs sometimes it gets warmer in sept/oct. But in general it never gets too hot unless you go east. On another point, even though there is a bit of disconnect between a BD and end on end I don't think that is a problem. There are certainly other fabrics like a fancy twill or a jacquard that I would be less inclined to want a BD. I find it a bit too dogmatic to say I will only wear a BD with oxford cloth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.