Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Good afternoon!

I'm looking to buy a few long sleeves shirts to wear on casual Friday to work, to mass on Sunday or to dinner on a Saturday night. Pants that I would wear with them would be jeans or some chinos (Navy or Olive). I live in San Diego so we aren't too formal - in fact, I plan to wear the shirts with the sleeves rolled up (and possibly even untucked to dinner).

I have decided on either a Gitman Bros. End on End or OCBD. There is far more variation with the OCBDs but I am concerned that, for San Diego, the OCBD will just be too thick/warm of a fabric as it never really gets all that cold here.

Any thoughts on this? Am I over thinking this? Will I even notice much of a difference between the fabrics as I sit at my desk or sit at the dinner table?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Have a good weekend.

-Michael

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Button down or not is one choice. Oxford, pinpoint oxford or end on end broadcloth is another. If you want a lighter fabric then the end on end will probably be more satisfactory. Certainly BD shirts fit the bill if you want a more casual look (no tie) so that may be more important. So maybe go for end on end BD shirts?!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Want OCBD but live in a warmer environment? Pinpoint. Problem solved.

It's oxford cloth, same weave, just thinner. Pretty much every OCBD manufacturer makes the exact same shirts in pointpoint. Iirc, the difference is just in the thickness of the thread they start with.

Note: "Royal" Oxford isn't Oxford cloth despite the name. I like it, and it makes a nicer summer weight shirt than poplin (which just looks cheap and shiny to me), but Oxford it isn't.

All:

Good afternoon!

I'm looking to buy a few long sleeves shirts to wear on casual Friday to work, to mass on Sunday or to dinner on a Saturday night. Pants that I would wear with them would be jeans or some chinos (Navy or Olive). I live in San Diego so we aren't too formal - in fact, I plan to wear the shirts with the sleeves rolled up (and possibly even untucked to dinner).

I have decided on either a Gitman Bros. End on End or OCBD. There is far more variation with the OCBDs but I am concerned that, for San Diego, the OCBD will just be too thick/warm of a fabric as it never really gets all that cold here.

Any thoughts on this? Am I over thinking this? Will I even notice much of a difference between the fabrics as I sit at my desk or sit at the dinner table?

Have a good weekend.

-Michael

·
Registered
777 Posts
Button down or not is one choice. Oxford, pinpoint oxford or end on end broadcloth is another. If you want a lighter fabric then the end on end will probably be more satisfactory. Certainly BD shirts fit the bill if you want a more casual look (no tie) so that may be more important. So maybe go for end on end BD shirts?!
Button down collar poplin/broadcloth/10othernamesitgoesby just looks wrong to me for some reason.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Button down collar poplin/broadcloth/10othernamesitgoesby just looks wrong to me for some reason.
I have never worn OCBD - definitely some pinpoint BD over the years although I currently have none in my wardrobe. But I am not a prep/trad and never have been. Most of the time I still wear a tie so I don't really care for the informality of a BD shirt. Perhaps to suit both your tastes and the OP tastes a pinpoint BD would work. I think they look pretty decent and are nice because they easily go with a tie or without which is a great compromise.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I'm looking to buy a few long sleeves shirts to wear on casual Friday to work, to mass on Sunday or to dinner on a Saturday night. I live in San Diego so we aren't too formal - in fact, I plan to wear the shirts with the sleeves rolled up (and possibly even untucked to dinner).
I ordinarily don't make New Year's resolutions, but you have inspired me to make one, albeit about a month late: From now on, I will not verbally batter all those men who think that wearing an untucked shirt to dinner is a good look. Not that I don't want to give them a hard time. When I was in the 6th grade from September 1966 to June 1967, wearing a shirt untucked over jeans (and-especially later in the school year-corduroy trousers) was The Style. So today, when I see the way so many guys dress, I ask myself, "Why does a 30-something man in 2018 want to dress as I did when I was a clueless 12-year-old in 1967? I grew up; shouldn't they?" (Okay, my body grew up; I'm still clueless.)

But I-as the expression goes-digress. If you want to wear an untucked shirt to a restaurant in the evening...........go ahead? I mean: Go ahead!

I have decided on either a Gitman Bros. End on End or OCBD.
Aren't you putting yourself into a binary rut?

I am concerned that, for San Diego, the OCBD will just be too thick/warm of a fabric as it never really gets all that cold here.
But does it get all that hot there? Anyway-how about breaking out of the binary straight jacket in which you have voluntarily bound yourself and consider buying a linen shirt (or two) and a seersucker shirt (or two) from Mercer and Sons Shirts? Those fabrics are quintessential San Diego shirtings. You'll need to iron the linen (but not the seersucker). Still, if you are concerned about feeling overheated, they will do fine as business casual shirts on warm Fridays.

Am I over thinking this?
On the contrary: you are underthinking this. By framing your dilemma as a simple either/or matter with traditional Oxford cloth and end-on-end shirtings as your only options, you are blinding yourself to other appropriate and pleasant options.

Will I even notice much of a difference between the fabrics as I sit at my desk or sit at the dinner table?
No. But do you sit from the time you wake up in the morning until you go to bed at night?

I hear that a lot. Then I share my thoughts. Then people retroactively withdraw their invitation to share my thoughts.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Does it often get that hot in San Diego? I was there in the summer and would have been fine wearing oxford cloth. End-on-end is generally not a casual fabric, but it can work for that purpose in hot weather.
I think it just depends how far away from the ocean you go. And in the fall when the inversion occurs sometimes it gets warmer in sept/oct. But in general it never gets too hot unless you go east. On another point, even though there is a bit of disconnect between a BD and end on end I don't think that is a problem. There are certainly other fabrics like a fancy twill or a jacquard that I would be less inclined to want a BD. I find it a bit too dogmatic to say I will only wear a BD with oxford cloth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.