Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because you never know. ;-)

Emergency Cuff-Links | Uncrate
"Never be caught with your cuffs open thanks to these Emergency Cuff-Links (£12; ~$17). Available in packs of six and featuring a pocket friendly fold-flat design, the one-use links are a must have for any French Cuff-loving traveler."
https://www.uncrate.com/men/style/accessories/emergency-cufflinks/

· Registered
926 Posts
Brass brads work just as well and you can find them at most stationary stores.

You can outfit yourself for pennies.
And you can outfit a whole auditorium of french cuffed men for a few hundred dollars.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
$17 for some punched metal is quite steep. Especially since the style of the links looks awful.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how one comes to need "emergency" cuff closures, unless theft or carelessness has intervened. I pretty much avoid the problem while traveling by leaving French cuffed shirts (except for formal wear) at home.

However, I would not pay anything for those die-cut models for two reasons: they are ugly; they might damage fabric of shirt, coat, or trousers with those apparently sharp cut corners and gaps. Better to insert silk knots in the cuffs when packing, both to ensure that you'll have something the color of which will be compatible with the shirt and other attire and to keep the cuffs from going awry. That way one can look instantly good and knot [sic] worry about taking the "good stuff" that risks having theft or carelessness intervene.:icon_smile_big:

· Registered
1,520 Posts
I would suggest to whoever came up with the idea a few modifications, First I would suggest that they change the stamping to remove the sharp corners and round off the design a bit, I would then have them spray paint one side of the metal blank white and the other side black or blue.

I would have them leave the cufflink pair in a credit card sized metal square with rounded edges for storage in your wallet and on either side of the emergency cuff link stamping I would add two other stampings for metal collar stays. You would then have a tiny metal card from which you could pop out the links and the stays.

You could wear the links as white or black/blue depending on which way you folded them and you would use the stays with the white side facing out towards the collar points so they were invisible. You could also include a similar sized square of decals to put over the outer face of the cufflink to make them look like about 6 different pictures of actual cufflinks like onyx, or gold or enamel etc.

I would then lower the price to a more rational $4.99 and sell them in a box of maybe 20 for display on a sales counter next to the knots and laces and stays etc. They would then make a good stocking stuffer or gee-whiz kind of gift. At that price people wouldn't mind tossing one in their travel toiletries bag, alternately I would slide it in with an emergency sewing kit.

Thats how I would improve it but really, if your traveling leave a few knots and stays in your bag or briefcase. If you are wearing an FC shirt and your cufflink dies you have a jacket on almost guaranteed, nothing is going to happen, the same with a missing collar stay - it would be hard to notice during the short duration of your "emergency". Now if you made a screw-jack/variable height replacement for a woman high heel you might have a product because when that lets go its a problem.

· Registered
205 Posts
Not just Knots, Buttons too.

I agree. These seem like an invention of the 70s. Technology for technology's sake. The only advantage is that they would fit in a wallet.

A lot of posters above have mentioned silk knots, but I also like button cuff links (just two buttons connected with some thread). They have a very unpretentious quality, and it's no problem to have a few shirt buttons in the sewing kit or wherever.

+1 for the sprezzatura twist ties idea. Now, that's Italian.:icon_smile_wink:

· Registered
147 Posts
Like others have said, I wouldn't buy these when many other options, planned or impromptu, can satisfy the need much better. The brass tacks are probably one of the better ideas.

A lot of posters above have mentioned silk knots, but I also like button cuff links (just two buttons connected with some thread).
If this is really a problem, why not sew a black or white button on the inside of the french cuff near the button hole, similar to convertible cuffs, but the button holds it in french cuff fashion? Can't lose it, already on the shirt, no need to even fish it out of the wallet or toiletry kit.

· Registered
127 Posts
I would suggest to whoever came up with the idea a few modifications, First I would suggest that they change the stamping to remove the sharp corners and round off the design a bit, I would then have them spray paint one side of the metal blank white and the other side black or blue.

I would have them leave the cufflink pair in a credit card sized metal square with rounded edges for storage in your wallet and on either side of the emergency cuff link stamping I would add two other stampings for metal collar stays. You would then have a tiny metal card from which you could pop out the links and the stays.

You could wear the links as white or black/blue depending on which way you folded them and you would use the stays with the white side facing out towards the collar points so they were invisible. You could also include a similar sized square of decals to put over the outer face of the cufflink to make them look like about 6 different pictures of actual cufflinks like onyx, or gold or enamel etc.

I would then lower the price to a more rational $4.99 and sell them in a box of maybe 20 for display on a sales counter next to the knots and laces and stays etc. They would then make a good stocking stuffer or gee-whiz kind of gift. At that price people wouldn't mind tossing one in their travel toiletries bag, alternately I would slide it in with an emergency sewing kit.

Thats how I would improve it but really, if your traveling leave a few knots and stays in your bag or briefcase. If you are wearing an FC shirt and your cufflink dies you have a jacket on almost guaranteed, nothing is going to happen, the same with a missing collar stay - it would be hard to notice during the short duration of your "emergency". Now if you made a screw-jack/variable height replacement for a woman high heel you might have a product because when that lets go its a problem.
+1, I'd buy it.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I keep some silk knots in an empty pill bottle in my Dopp kit. That way, if I forget to pack cufflinks, I know I'll always have an alternative with me.
+1. I seem to get one of those small plastic bottles filled with cuff-knots sold by BB, as a Christmas gift from the kids or the wife every year or so. Frankly I can only recall actually using them a couple of times in my entire life! :( On those few occasions I wear a shirt with cuffs requiring links, I generally elect to sport the art of the design of the cuff links I do have in my possession! ;)

Good lawd! This is one of those darned resurrected "Zombie" threads and I fear i have been bitten! :crazy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.