Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that it has been discussed here before but I still need answers. I noticed last night that two newer jackets of mine are already shining at the elbows. One of them is worse than the other. Both are navy blue. I am planning to increase my rotation to reduce wear on all of my suits, but I am still confused about what fabrics to go for. I use a very nice MTM program these days. Canvas construction, the whole bit, yet very reasonable prices. Truthfully, from what I see with any reasonable MTM there just aren't that many options for obviously indestructible fabric (aside from tweeds - not an option for business). The more durable, non-super fabrics just tend to be cheap, basic worsteds. I've seen this with lots of programs; if you want a decent fabric you have to go into the S120 range. I'd love to get some really meaty stuff but I just don't see it - anybody have any suggestions? I can't afford for my suits to shine-up like this!

On a related note: will brushing with a Kent brush really mitigate/prevent this problem? I feel that the abrasion it will cause will negate any good that it does. Are there any reliable places I can look for a "sponging" in DC that will remove shine?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
now you know why your mother told you to keep your elbows off the table.
all fabrics will shine some sooner, some much later. the worse are dark colors and smooth hard finishes.
leather seats are great for shining your trousers. and plastic too.
brushing after wearing will help a little. and yes the abrasion can add up after a time. sponging will will work for a few wearings then its back.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ So I guess we are basically screwed then? Do you guys continue to wear shiny garments? Is the only answer to get so many suits that it takes forever for one to wear shiny?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The high super numbers will shine more than others....

You should be able to get decent material in 100s. Manton, who knows more about suits than most, says he wears only 85s. I have had this problem when I was coaxed into buying super 150s. Haven't had the problem nearly as much with 100s.

Suit shining on the elbows is helped by not putting your elbows on your desk, a bar, or any other surface you are likely to come in contact with. I make a conscious effort to not place my elbows on anything. It's hard to do, but it works. To save the trouser seat, don't slide on any surface. Car seat, table seat, bar seat etc. This also is hard, but it can be done.

The super 110s and higher are no better than a 100. The manufacturers just want you to think they are superior. Don't buy into it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DFloyd,

I am aware of this Supers scam. But as I mentioned earlier, I don't know where to find 85s that aren't tweeds or something else not suited for business. For example, the guy I have been getting my MTM from has tons of beautiful fabrics. He stocks lots of Holland and Sherry. But the lower thread count stuff is noticeably cheaper looking - not that nice. Im so confused...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.