Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Site Creator
11,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, at least in the USA, eggs have risen in price like crazy. I prepare breakfast most days and use a lot of eggs. Minimum of two each for us. Eggs benedict takes four eggs for the top of the English muffins and two more for the hollandaise, which makes it 6!

Costco has had packages of 2 dozen at probably the best price, followed by Walmart with packages of 36. Well now Costco has changed their packaging and marketing to packages of 60 eggs!! 5 dozen for just over $14! Just got one of those and figure the per egg cost is ca .25 cents.

· Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,661 Posts
And while the official reason for the price raise is that avian flu has decimated the flocks, the producers are also reporting record profits. Not that I want to start a conspiracy theory or anything . . .

· Registered
143 Posts
I eat three eggs a day usually. I just crack one or two open and drop it into a cup of either a cold coffee or a cold tea that is in the refrigerator. When I finally get to the bottom of the cup, I chew up the yolk. Yummy. Convenient. My dad used to have one egg in his beer. I never understood him. Now, I am my own man I guess. Try it.

· Site Creator
11,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Registered
2,584 Posts
My dad was a bodybuilder (back in the 50s and 60s, when it was a much less common thing), and he used to "drink" raw eggs.

He never had a problem, but I probably wouldn't do it unless (i) they came from MY chickens (I have none, alas) or (ii) they were pasteurized eggs.

My current approach to eggs is to buy the good eggs (organic, happy, free-range, etc) for things like sunny-side-up or other modes of fried egg, hard-boiled, other other uses where the egg is sort of "front & center", and then affordable eggs for things like baking.

The price differential is significant (like 4:1).

I have a 10 year old daughter who is VERY tall (160cm, or top 0.1% for her age) and 40+ kg, athletic, who is a veritable Hoover of calories, so I typically race through 3-4 dozen eggs per week (she usually has 2-4 for breakfast).

(Everyone talks about "teenage boys and food" but nothing prepared me for tween girls!)

DH

28,661 Posts
I have grave doubts about anything related to bodybuilding. Perhaps back in Arnold's time it wasn't so bad but today's judges who insist on "ripped" bodies that are horribly dehydrated to show off all the muscle fibers are killing the contestants. For muscle my take is either go for Crosstraining, Olympic lifting or Powerlifting. Building working muscle, not pretty.

· Site Creator
11,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have grave doubts about anything related to bodybuilding. Perhaps back in Arnold's time it wasn't so bad but today's judges who insist on "ripped" bodies that are horribly dehydrated to show off all the muscle fibers are killing the contestants. For muscle my take is either go for Crosstraining, Olympic lifting or Powerlifting. Building working muscle, not pretty.
Oldsarge:
Right on! That's why I don't exercise at all, unless you count my well developed thumbs from the reps on the TV remote! 🏋️‍♀️

· (aka TKI67)
3,538 Posts
Eggs, despite their silly prices, are important. Truly free range eggs, with those almost orange yolks, are just wonderful, be they soft boiled, poached, steamed, or in a taco. We have them about three days a week, the other two being avocado toast or oatmeal. We also use them in an above average number of cheese soufflés and in home made mayonnaise, an important food group.

28,661 Posts
Eggs, despite their silly prices, are important. Truly free range eggs, with those almost orange yolks, are just wonderful, be they soft boiled, poached, steamed, or in a taco. We have them about three days a week, the other two being avocado toast or oatmeal. We also use them in an above average number of cheese soufflés and in home made mayonnaise, an important food group.
In my neighborhood a number of the folks keep chickens. This provides a lot of great eggs but has two downsides. Chickens need care when you want to travel and I love to travel. Additionally, chicken feed attracts rats. So I don't have chickens.

· Registered
34 Posts
I found myself in a very lucky position, my sister has about 100 acres in north Texas, and her daughter is getting into homesteading on about 10 of those, so I have recently been getting 1-2 butchered hogs a year, 5 whole chickens every few months, and loads of fresh eggs ever so often. I have thought about beef, but I would need to get a larger freezer. Costcos big egg pack sounds great, but it's just me and the wife, and I am the only one who eats eggs

As for drinking eggs, only two things come to mind, Rocky and Amber Moon (ala Murder on the Orient Express)

· Registered
45 Posts
And while the official reason for the price raise is that avian flu has decimated the flocks, the producers are also reporting record profits. Not that I want to start a conspiracy theory or anything . . .
The report I heard from Redacted News this indicates the big cause of rising egg prices is that the stores are not paying the farmers much, and thus the farmers incentives to produce have waned. But why and through what mechanisms are the stores doing this? That was not identified.

28,661 Posts
The report I heard from Redacted News this indicates the big cause of rising egg prices is that the stores are not paying the farmers much, and thus the farmers incentives to produce have waned. But why and through what mechanisms are the stores doing this? That was not identified.
Hmmm, perhaps America's Next Big Thing will be home chicken coops.

· Registered
71 Posts
Hey Andy!

Great to see you my Friend. It has been a while. I actually sent you a Friend request on Facebook recently. I enjoyed our times when a few of us would get
together to have lunch and discuss the world of Sartorial excellence and fashion. God bless you, Andy!

Sincerely,

Wayne Cooper (Ebonyman)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts