Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this thread is long dead, but I'll post just in case someone stumbles here looking for an answer. Edward Green trees are $130, or so I've been quoted.. Since you need to use shoe trees anyway and EG shoe trees are based on the lasts upon which the shoes are made, they're the best for your EG shoes. If you just need some trees, plain cedar ones from your local shoe repair shop will do just fine. I picked some up today and paid $30 a pop for them.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Since this topic has been resurrected already, I will just add for the benefit of other members in the UK that at time of typing, the Jermyn Street shop currently has used-in-shop shoe trees on a major discount since the old ring-pull style trees are being phased out. Not sure what availability is like, or if you have to buy a pair of shoes to qualify for the discount, probably not. I got a pair of correctly lasted trees for the shoes I bought, at a very decent price indeed.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
To attempt an answer to the OP Edward Green shoe trees cost £50. I don't think that amounts to $130!

They are not lasted as some suppose but they do come in various width fittings which generic trees do not. So they have that advantage, plus they are wonderfully light weight.

I use a some EG trees and some from Shipton and Heneage which do a good job too.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I think they are last-specific - mine have the last as well as size written on the bottom. They are not solid/unsprung though (having springs internally like many widely available trees), so will fit a range of sizes and makers.
Actually, I don't believe they're last-specific. All of mine have "202/606" on them (as well as the size and fitting) and were provided by EG when I wrote to them for three pairs of trees--for a pair of Berkeleys on the 202 and for two pairs of RLPL EGs on the 89 and 888 lasts.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Actually, I don't believe they're last-specific. All of mine have "202/606" on them (as well as the size and fitting) and were provided by EG when I wrote to them for trees for a pair of Berkeleys on the 202 and for some RLPL shoes I got on the 89 and 888 lasts.
This is my understanding also.

I have 202/606 E/F & 888/82 E/F. This suggests the longer lasts (82 & 888) have different trees and that some effort is made to manage width but this is a long way from lasted trees.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
To attempt an answer to the OP Edward Green shoe trees cost £50. I don't think that amounts to $130!
Actually, the cost of EG shoe trees for retailers is 30 pounds so after you include shipping and customs duties, you're looking at about $70-80 USD wholesale cost. At $130, that isn't even standard keystone markup. :)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Hmm, interesting. The trees I have just 202 & the size written on them, though width is written as an ambiguous D/E.

:shrug:

I only have one pair of branded EG trees (the RLPL ones have nothing written on them), so will cede to you guys' knowledge.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
None of my EG trees have the last number written on them and I was sold the same ones for 202. 888. 82 and 808 - needing an E fit tree for the 808 last.

I have heard the older shoe trees were more last specific. This is what the shop told me anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.