Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
35 Posts
The "celebrity without make-up paradox." Why do we love do see our most beautiful people at their ugliest? Perhaps to reassure us of their mortality. But what did bitterness ever accomplish? Not much. As for the "city boys?" If they're on the winning side of a zero-sum game, the more power to them. This isn't hero worship, (though who wouldn't want to have his closet) but more an appreciation of a fortune well-won. Instead of tearing these men down to bolster our own egos, perhaps a quiet respect would be more appropriate.

Have at me.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Class warfare....yawn! So many of us would like to think we are all entitled to equal pieces of the pie yet nobody seems to want to acknowledge the fact that when it comes to contributing to society, things are anything but equal.
I agree...all those years of robbing, raping, and enslaving clearly makes the wealthy better. I guess I'm unfortunate becaue my ancestors didn't benefit from slave labor, the slave trade, or racist economic policies. Too bad.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
Haven't you wondered why the obscenely wealthy "old money" types are so comfortable in the Democratic party? It's because the left has somehow settled on income redistribution as its primary weapon of class warfare. Taxing income rather than wealth sure protects the wealthy from the ambitions of the middle class, especially back when it was a 90% tax on high incomes.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Interesting read but, it seems to me we all harbor an excessive interest in wealth (or becoming wealthy) and in the trappings of wealth. Surprising to me, considering the happiest folks I know invest their emotional energy in things other than money and all the 'bling' that money can buy! Thanks for sharing a very thought provoking article medwards.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
Haven't you wondered why the obscenely wealthy "old money" types are so comfortable in the Democratic party? It's because the left has somehow settled on income redistribution as its primary weapon of class warfare. Taxing income rather than wealth sure protects the wealthy from the ambitions of the middle class, especially back when it was a 90% tax on high incomes.
No, but I have wondered about your weird obsession with the Left and Democrats as the source of all that is evil in the world. Did the Wicked Witch of the Left drop a house on your sister killing her? (Trust me, it was actually a cyclone.) Did a member of the Democratic Party steal your ruby slippers? Regardless of the etiology of your condition, one is astonished by the number of the world's problems that you have identified as having its origin with the so-called "Left" or Democratic Party members.

Buzz

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Medwards, thank you for bringing this article to everyone's attention. Be they kings or tycoons the ones who come to sit on great deals of money are the subject of much general fascination. It is strangely comforting to see how nothing changes.

One can read about these "new" city boys in Anthony Trollope's very fine novel The Way We Live Now which was first published in 1875. The names may change but the self-regarding scheming seems eternal.

If a Victorian novel is too long to tackle, one can read the chapter about Emperor Vespasian in The Twelve Caesars by Seutonius, published around 121 AD (or ACE). The story remains the same and always interesting.

Cordially,
Adrian Quay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.