Men's Clothing Forums banner

Dylan Jones praises the black suit!!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GBR 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
"Walking up and down Savile Row three or four times a day, I bump into a lot of tailors. And like everyone else in retail right now, their mood is black.

These days, all men want are dark, sombre, even funereal suits. Grey. Navy. Pinstripe. And lots and lots of black".

He means the customers, not the tailors themselves.

Some people on this forum are anti-black unless to a funeral and even then so are any black suits full-stop.
I rotate navy, grey and black as my work suits. If I had four suits, I would rotate between navy, grey, charcoal grey and black suits.

Not surprised by the article, people need to look business like. The sales of ties have increases and most people cannot justify getting a fancy design that will only be worn a few times a year. They need something that they can wear enough to justify the cost. Instead of the loud green Boateng bespoke suit with skinny tie, they go for a light grey MTM option from Richard James or Gieves & Hawkes.

#3 ·
Hi ToryBoy

Yes but he also says "because no-one is buying anything else". By extension that implies that SR tailors are suggesting black suits to their clients which is, as we all know, highly unlikely.

Strangely enough I would have put money on you posting in this thread....

Chris.

#4 ·
If I was a tailor on The Row, I would be suggest black too. I know at least one tailor besides G&H who is recommending the colour, for bespoke. I am sure others would suggest, especially if the customer asks.

An established customer comes in and wants a new suit, already has navy, grey and the London favourite black pinstripe. Black seems the best option, you look business-like, blend into the crowd and not flash. Even MTM on The Row is struggling, G&H is offering super 150's by Wensum for £895. Huntsman customers are going for MTM and RTW and that is if they coming, most are not.
I was planning to a get bespoke suit (Scabal cloth, I suppose you could have guessed that too) or Belvest MTM from G&H and bespoke shoes; was even measured for bespoke and they already have my MTM measurements. Instead I got a pair of Chruch's for £175 and wait for it, a black suit to replace a double-breasted suit for work rotation.

Lodger in Clifford Street have stopped bespoke shoes are the moment and focusing on RTW and MTM shoes-of-the-month. I was looking to get a MTM in December, but could not do that either.

#5 ·
Hi ToryBoy,

My point about you being the first to reply was simply based on your post to thread ratio-you do post in virtually every thread that is created around here as you must surely admit. Given the length of time that you have been a member here your post count is staggeringly high. I was merely suggesting that you might want to rein that in a little. I was feeling particularly sarcastic today so I made my point in a less than ideal way I suppose.

Gieves recommending black wouldn't surprise me at all. Kilgour likewise. However I know on occassion Anderson and Sheppard for example have actively refused to make black lounge suits for their customers. Yes, I know you don't like A&S as I have read your comments about them in the Hardy Amies thread. I suppose we just lean towards different ends of the market. I couldn't care less about the more fashionable houses and you obviously disagree.

Chris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.