Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some stage in the proceedings, maybe a couple of years ago, I bought a large number of pairs of the same, brown cotton dress socks. I'm not sure what I was doing, but I soon realized that they really were the wrong shade of brown.

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to dye socks to a darker shade of their original color.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The main problem I see in dying socks is colorfastness. Because socks get damp, one is likely to experience some "bleed" from a do-it-yourself dying. That's a bit risky inside shoes, especially nice ones with all that absorbent leather.

Then there's the question of how they will come out and whether that shade will be any better. Dying is tricky business when trying to alter an existing color. Besides, it's terribly messy:(

I think I would ask myself just how vital it is to have these socks a different shade of brown (or black?). Most of the time socks are not particularly visible, as trousers cover them except for the occasional exposure when one walks, and while sitting they are mostly invisible under tables or desks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.