Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably gauche of me to ask, but why aren't cordovan shoes available with rubber soles (or are they)? Well made rubber soled shoes can be rebuilt just like their leather brethren. Is it tradition, aesthetics, or some functional reason?

Naively Yours,

Joel

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just saw some cordovan Trickers for sale with Dainite soles. I believe they were the Burton model (dark brown wingtip). First time I'd ever seen a non-leather soled cordovan shoe. They were brand new, beautiful and had a buy it now price of something like $322 from salsalocust (an English e-bay seller). I hesitated as I've spent enough lately and don't need my wife asking what a paypal charge of $322 was for and...poof, they were gone. Probably bought by some single guy:p. I regret my hesitation.

EDIT: Here is a pair in 7 UK. I was wrong about the price (it's BIN $353.97). Pretty nice, huh?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a matter of fact, I just ordered a pair of AF 53s. Thanks to Mac for advice and support on the process! It looks like they have a leather sole with a commando sole sewn on. I was thinking more of a through and through rubber sole, a la the BB dainite soled shoes, Alden all weather walkers or dress casual, etc...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was just thinking the other day that I wished my black shell AE leeds had a commando or prestige rubber sole. I think since shell is a traditional material, they tend to make shoes in shell only in leather soles, since that is the traditional sole. I love plaintoe bluchers in shell and think they look smashing with commando soles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem with all of the store specific Alden models are that they are typically offered in limited widths. Leather Soul, for example, seems to offer all of it's Alden LEs in D width only. I am somewhere between an E and EEE, depending on the shoe. I am ordering a pair of Alden of Carmel AF 53's because they run the same as the Indy boots that I already own. This way I was comfortable ordering a pair of boots (non-refundable) in 9 EEE. So in order to consider a LE shoe, you need to already own a couple of pairs of shoes to make sure that your fit is dialed in. This makes the chances of tracking down a pair of whiskey shells that fit me pretty slim indeed. I am very psyched about the AF 53's, but won't be seeing them til late Summer or early Fall. Ah well, everybody needs something to obsess about.

Joel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.